[Testing Update] 2024-05-02 - Kernels, Firefox, GStreamer

Hello community, here we have another set of package updates.

Current Promotions

• Find out all about our current Gaming Laptop the Hero with Manjaro pre-installed from Spain!
  • Protect your personal data, keep yourself safe with Surfshark VPN: 85% OFF + 2 mo. FREE

Recent News

Previous News
Finding information easier about Manjaro

Finding information easier about Manjaro always has been a topic that needed to be solved. With our new search we have put all Manjaro data accessible in one place and divided by sections so it makes it easier to digest: New Manjaro search engine is available | Blog

Notable Package Updates

• Some Kernels got renewed
  • Firefox 125.0.3
  • GStreamer 1.24.3
  • various Python package updates and fixes

A list of all package changes can be found here

Additional Info

Python 3.12 info

:information_source: You will need to rebuild any AUR Python packages that install files to site-packages or link to libpython3.11.so. :information_source:

Print a list of of packages that have files in /usr/lib/python3.11/ :

pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11/

Rebuild them all at once:*

pamac build $(pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.11)

* Note that if any fail to build, you’ll have to rebuild what’s remaining one or a few at a time.

Use rebuild-detector to see if anything else needs to be rebuilt:

checkrebuild
Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcements topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

For help with AUR packages, please create a new topic in AUR and a helpful volunteer may be able to assist you.

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You can get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.312
  • linux54 5.4.274
  • linux510 5.10.215
  • linux515 5.15.157
  • linux61 6.1.89
  • linux66 6.6.29
  • linux68 6.8.8
  • linux69 6.9.0-rc6
  • linux61-rt 6.1.83_rt28
  • linux66-rt 6.6.23_rt28
  • linux67-rt 6.7_rt6

A list of all package changes can be found here

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

2 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

:arrow_right: 2024-05-02

The default KDE Plasma session has been changed to X11

As of Plasma 6, KDE decided to make Wayland the default. However, since issues were discovered, we have reverted the default to X11. Users are free to choose whichever works best for them.

2024-03-23

Konsole font rendering issue

if you use manjaro-zsh-config on Plasma 6,
please check your Font settings in Konsole:

Konsole: Open Settings → Edit Current Profile → Appearance,
click Select Font and select MesloLGS NF Regular.

2024-03-16

Plasma 6 issues with Manjaro themes & tools

Prepare for a Plasma 6 release (#2) · Issues · Release plan / KDE · GitLab

DKMS fails for v4l2loopback on 6.8 kernel

DKMS fails for v4l2loopback on 6.8 kernel (#2) · Issues · Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / v4l2loopback · GitLab

New version of kvantum does not support QT5 theme

Install new package kvantum-qt5 for QT5 theme support
required for manjaro-settings-manager and audacious

pamac install kvantum-qt5

If Theme shows wrong colors:

cd $HOME; ln -s .profile .xprofile

Manjaro-settings-manager has light theme instead of dark

issues with auto-mount of ntfs filesystem using Kernel 6.8

The kernel changed default ntfs driver from FUSE one to ntfs3.
These two are not fully compatible, mainly as far as mount options go. If you have custom mount options in the fstab (or any other application, such as VeraCrypt) they need to be changed.

Symptoms:
Mount fails with: Device or resource busy
DMesg reports: Can't open blockdev

Solution:
Migrate your mount options. For me the changes were:

• allow_other → umask=000
  • default_permissions → [drop]
  • user_id=1000 → uid=1000
  • group_id=1000 → gid=1000

2024-02-23

gnome-keyring: ssh component is not included

ssh component is not included (#3) · Issues · Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / gnome-keyring · GitLab

Previous testing threads:

After reboot, instead logging in to Plasma Wayland (as it was set since long, long time ago), system automatically logged in to X11 session.

As usual, I had issues with finding the SDDM autologin option in KDE settings, but I was able to find it by search and it turned out that autologin was turned off and my kdewallet password was deleted. So basically, my session configs were wiped out by this update.

I changed the settings back to my previous ones (wayland automatic login, kdewallet with empty password so it would be opened automatically) and after reboot it works as it should.

1 Like

That’s expected, we rebuilt plasma-workspace package to default to X11 for the time being.

Interesting, we’ll check that.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed the same, so does it mean better to stay with X11 for now?

1 Like

No. Upstream defaults to Wayland for a reason. I don’t understand why Manjaro is so backwards.

4 Likes

Feel free to use whatever you comfortable with. We’ll stay on X11 by default for several months (half of a year maybe?) and then switch as well I think.

Chill out. You can use whatever protocol you want, we don’t take Wayland session from you. I really don’t want nvidia users to have seizure at least. Also some remote desktop/screen share software users (AnyDesk as an example) will be disappointed. Picture-in-Picture is not implemented as well.

9 Likes

ok, thanks

I wasn’t saying that. But exactly the same could be said for X11.

Less people use wayland, longer will it take to mature even more.

It couldn’t just because X11 doesn’t break the usual workflow in some very unexpected ways.

2 Likes

“Wayland is the default now. if you are having any problems, you can switch back to X11.” Here, I said it. :smiley:

1 Like

“We’ll break some things adopting a new technology because not doing so is “so backwards”. If you want to un-break them switch back to the working technology.”

2 Likes

X11 bugs are no longer fixed, and KDE team added and fixed many things in Plasma 6 only for Wayland, plus the experience on Wayland is much faster and smoother, especially on intel iGPUs.

The only problem are those cursed NVIDIA GPUs.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly! :smiley:

Isn’t even that working fine now? :man_shrugging:

Things were fixed, but there are some problems, for now even SDDM should boot on Wayland to fix its fractional scaling with multi-monitors setups.

Autologin was turned off after the update. I had to turn it back on. No biggie.

Also had issues with the sudden, forced, unexpected and unmentioned rollback to X11.
Some stuff that I use does not work on the X11 session.

I think that is also the reason why most are annoyed.

3 Likes

Well, that was possibly an exaggeration on my part, but when I saw the SDDM settings defaulted to “no autologin” (weirdly, it autologged after reboot), didn’t remember the type of session, I assumed that the config was gone or defaulted.

I only noticed the changed, because I don’t have scaling on X11, because I don’t use it, so everything became tiny, so my first thought was, what session am I on. Checked the KDE info and it was X11, which it shouldn’t be based on my configs.

Anyway, I minor issue, but still a surprise.

I think that Manjaro don’t expect how many KDE users switched to Wayland already. I did a year ago, still being on hybrid setup with Nvidia - it worked well, since the desktop was rendered by Intel anyway. Now I’m on AMD laptop, so it also works as it supposes to do.

1 Like

This is bad news for all Intel users. At least I would expect a small explanation in the update announcement how to stick to Wayland after updating.

Also, we are talking about testing branch, not stable. Shouldn’t we focussed here on bug fixing of latest technolgy? If only Nvidia is affected why not helping those how to stick to X11?

Again, is this really relevant for testing branch? I could understand this for stable branch.

1 Like

Testing is what will become stable eventually, thus the change.

I didn’t expect that changing the default preference will affect users who switched manually. I also use Wayland.

1 Like