[Testing Update] 2024-03-16 - Kernel, Calamares, Mesa, Plasma 6, KF 6, KDE Gear 24.04, LibreOffice

The Breeze cursor theme name changed from Breeze_Snow to Breeze_Light as far as I noticed.

Maybe. :wink:

Terrible mouse lags and one panel kept flashing and could not turn it off.

I had to roll back the update with Timeshift. Back to 5.27.11.

I switched to stable branch and added

IgnoreGroup = plasma to pacman.conf

Okay… Please create a new Support thread and provide more details. You’ve been around long enough to know the routine.

How are you going to find out what the problem was now?

That will put you in an unsupported, partial upgrade state once Plasma 6 hits the stable branch.

1 Like

I saw some regular, noticeable screen flashing and the only thing that made it go away (for me) was to set Adaptive Sync to ‘Never’ in KDE System Settings

My monitor supports Adaptive Sync, and it’s enabled on the monitor but I had to disable it via KDE—it was also making controlling my mouse impossible in games.

EDIT: I double checked, I had to disable the monitor setting as that was causing the mouse control problem.

EDIT 2: After enabling HDR I had to follow the original settings before the first edit; HDR on, Adaptive Sync enabled in monitor, ‘Never’ in KDE settings

7900XTX via DisplayPort, FWIW

1 Like

That could be an idea for manjaro-system package to symlink Breeze_Snow to Breeze_Light.

2 Likes

[SOLVED]

The update went through smoothly and fairly unspectacularly.
Had to change the theme, weather widget 2 is broken and icon-only taskmanager scales the icons extemely tiny when using small spacing.
The Nvidia driver under Wayland is better than before, but sadly still flickers like hell in Steam-client and games, so I still stuck with X11…

Edit:
I have just stumbled across a problem…
Dolphin Custom actions error: not authorized to execute

Update:
Thanks to @Olli it’s solved.
It seems that the .desktop files must be executeable now!
I have just checked it in my backup. It was definitely not necessary before.

1 Like

I am gonna to reply myself so if anyone have same problem could fix it.

Way to fix “choppy”, “jerky” movement of mouse and screen on wayland with NVIDIA (in my case of hybrid video system) could be switching in BIOS from hybrid to discrete only.

i don’t know if it’s a bug or just my problem but dolphin seems to ignore context menu settings.
to be more accurate: adding or removing listed items has no effect plus it also seems to ignore a custom service I had in /usr/share/kio/servicemenus/

1 Like

there are still existing topics about the changes in dolphin.
only one of them:

2 Likes

Hi, since this testing update, Gnome falls back to X11 and does not load wayland by default (on both, Linux 6.7.10 and 6.8.1. Any idea, what the reason might be?
journalctl in Pastebin

1 Like

I upgraded from KDE5 to KDE6 and I expected a disaster at first since, well, it’s a new release with everything behind the hood having been reworked. But to my surprise, the upgrade went seamlessly on my side and I only had some cosmetic issues that I could quickly revert back or simply ignored, and I don’t think it’s worthy of holding back its release:

• I lost the Manjaro logo for the menu in the panel. I just put it back manually. It takes several seconds.
  • I think the Breath icon theme is dead for KDE 6, or rather, it doesn’t appear as a choice anymore as it used to. It defaults to Breeze. Fine, whatever.
  • It defaults on the floating panel, which is the new default setting on KDE offered by upstream. I guess it’s nice to demonstrate this new feature, but I didn’t like it much, so two clicks in the Panel settings to revert back like it used to be and it’s done.

Aside from that, so far, KDE6 has been really usable and I didn’t notice any issue yet. The only thing is that for some reasons, my display manager wanted to use Plasma on Wayland by default for some unknown reasons (maybe KDE really wanted to show that it now works or Wayland? lol), but it doesn’t really work on my NVIDIA GPU and I’m too lazy to figure out how to make it work, so I had to select to log in on Plasma on X11 as it used to. If some people complains that they can’t log in anymore, it might be the issue.

4 Likes

Audacious is broken on Plasma 6 in Winamp interface mode you can’t move it and interact properly with it (the classic QT one is working no problem).

//EDIT: I rebuilt from git yay -S audacious-git audacious-plugins-git, and it has the same issue, but now in Audacious preferences I can click “Restart in GTK mode” and it behaves properly I can interact with the player/equalizer/playlist as intended. A workaround for people using Audacious.

//EDIT2: the update defaulted to Wayland, after reinstalling Audacious from repos, deleting the config folder, and switching to X11, Audacious works as intended in Winamp interface mode.

Manjaro Settings Manager is still here, just not in the KDE system settings anymore because that part has not been ported for KDE 6 yet. But you can still launch it independently, just like, well, how it works in any other desktop environment as far as I know.

This part of the arch wiki describes exactly what you experience:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GDM#GDM_ignores_Wayland_and_uses_X.Org_by_default

2 Likes

I suggest using qmmp until audacious is rebuilt for qt6

IMO qmmp has better support for xmms/winamp skins but the unskinned QT GUI is not as polished as audacious

manjaro-settings-manager -m msm_kernel
1 Like

Nobody here running Conky?

I just noticed the lack of mention - anyone with Conkies running will find them annoyingly stuck on top unless they go in and remove the line:

own_window_type = 'dock',

Depending on the script, of course…

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the help!
I checked the error log and kms was somehow missing from mkinitcpio.conf.

I editited mkinitcpio.conf (sudo nano /etc/mkinitcoio.conf) and added kms to the HOOKS after autodetect. Then I started mkiniticpio (sudo mkinitcpio -p linux67) and rebooted. AMD PC, so no Nvidia hooks added. This lead to less errors, but the issue persists. (Error log again in Pastebin).
The prominent error is Mar 17 15:58:16 office gnome-shell[1150]: Failed to start X Wayland: Directory "/tmp/.X11-unix" is not writable
Has anyone another Idea?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

I looked at /tmp/.X11-unix, but both the folder as well as the containing elements have the same permissions as my laptop, which is on the stable branch.

After update, I got greeted with a black screen. SDDM fails to start. However I was able to get into the TTY, and startplasma-wayland into my session. There are no logs of failure in SDDM though, so wondering what happened.

1 Like

I get an error with using Cheese with my webcam not working:

Starting it from the terminal I see the following:

(cheese:2313): cheese-WARNING **: 12:35:04.811: Invalid data: ../gstreamer/subprojects/gst-plugins-bad/gst/jpegformat/gstjpegparse.c(945): gst_jpeg_parse_handle_frame (): /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin36/GstDecodeBin:decodebin1/GstJpegParse:jpegparse2:
Failed to parse app1 segment

(cheese:2313): cheese-WARNING **: 12:35:04.811: Invalid data: ../gstreamer/subprojects/gst-plugins-bad/gst/jpegformat/gstjpegparse.c(945): gst_jpeg_parse_handle_frame (): /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin36/GstDecodeBin:decodebin1/GstJpegParse:jpegparse2:
Failed to parse app1 segment

(cheese:2313): cheese-WARNING **: 12:35:04.811: Invalid data: ../gstreamer/subprojects/gst-plugins-bad/gst/jpegformat/gstjpegparse.c(974): gst_jpeg_parse_handle_frame (): /GstCameraBin:camerabin/GstWrapperCameraBinSrc:camera_source/GstBin:bin36/GstDecodeBin:decodebin1/GstJpegParse:jpegparse2:
Duplicated or bad SOF marker

Testing out my webcam in Zoom works correctly, so I’m assuming this is Cheese specific. Anyone else seeing similar issue?

Thanks,
Asif

1 Like

The log does not seem to report why it fails, no ideas, but there are things to check:

Do you have wayland set to disable in /etc/gdm/custom.conf?

What does journalctl --boot | grep gdm report?