[Testing Update] 2022-12-04 - Kernels, Systemd, Mesa, GNOME

totem doens’t play videos, smplayer works.

1 Like

Can you elaborate? Why aren’t you affected by the new mesa without patent encumbered codecs?

1 Like

Can you elaborate? Why aren’t you affected by the new mesa without patent encumbered codecs?

Maybe because of these statements from this article linked by @2old4gaming?

First and foremost, it should be stated that this problem will only affect users with AMD-based systems. […]

Users using an Intel GPU will be unaffected […]

[…] NVIDIA users can also rest easy because there is a proprietary driver that, by default, supports the codecs mentioned above.

If that is indeed the case it would be nice to clearly communicate that in the Manjaro announcement. Because the originally linked article about patent encumbered codecs does not make it really clear who is affected and to what extend.

@2old4gaming’s linked article also claims:

As a result, Linux distributions headquartered outside the US or entirely community-driven, with no commercial purpose, are not subject to the risk of infringing on these patent rights.

Not sure if that is true but wouldn’t Manjaro fall into that category?

3 Likes

I’ve found this even more clear:

What is notable and significant in this case is that these patents only apply to corporations with a presence in the US. In other words, these patent rights do not apply in Europe, where the software patent law differs.

Linux distros based outside of the US are not threatened with potential consequences for infringed patent rights applicable in the US.

2 Likes

Yes, let’s not import that ■■■■ here, please

1 Like

Luckily I have no AMD hardware.
And I have some experience of turning Manjaro into Arch, so in case of emergency … :joy:

1 Like

My systemd package did NOT get downgraded to version 251.8 and it currently on 252.2-2 manjaro. Did something fail during the update for me?

Thanks in advance to everyone for your time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

You need to “downgrade” using pacman -Syyuu command, or set enable downgrade in pamac gui settings and then update.

1 Like

Or you can update adding the systemd packages after the -Suy, in my case:

pacman -Syu systemd systemd-libs systemd-sysvcompat

What are the specifics on the systemd v252 issues? I’m anxious to get this fix included: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/23348

1 Like

That PR was merged back in June. The shutdown script mentioned does not actually work. We used to include it, but haven’t for several months.

I recognize that the nVidia up/down situation is a mess of failures, especially from the suspend state, and that their shutdown script does nothing to fix the situation. I just don’t want the “umount oldroot” warning messages that show up on every reboot.

This was working for me

Will that shutdown script get executed on suspend as well as shutdown? I have issues where my laptop commonly won’t wake up after suspend, getting stuck somewhere in the early initialization. I’m sure it’s nvidia-related.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Unstable Update] 2022-11-25 - Mkinitcpio, NVIDIA, Qt, Gtk, SDL, LibreOffice, Cinnamon

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Unstable Update] 2022-11-25 - Mkinitcpio, NVIDIA, Qt, Gtk, SDL, LibreOffice, Cinnamon

A post was merged into an existing topic: [Unstable Update] 2022-11-25 - Mkinitcpio, NVIDIA, Qt, Gtk, SDL, LibreOffice, Cinnamon

I’m not sure. It worked for me, then I started seeing these oldroot messages again, now I know why:

Adding

#!/bin/sh
# remove nvidia modules
/usr/bin/modprobe -r nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm && /usr/bin/modprobe -r nvidia

as /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/nvidia.shutdown and making it executable resolved it again.

Indeed, as I said it was working. But I think some people said it wasn’t working with their laptop or whatever and the fix was promptly removed soon after. I re-added it manually back then as it was definitely working on my side…