[Testing Update] 2021-09-02 - Kernels, Systemd, Wine, Deepin, KDE Gear, Maui-Kit, Plasma

Since the upgrade (including upgrading to linux514) I often get
[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager
on boot. I then have to reboot via tty and maybe it works then. Yesterday it happened once and I thought it was a one time thing, but today I needen three tries to boot.

Try this: Lightdm failed to start with Kernel 5.11.14 - #10 by philm

I did forget to do that. Silly meā€¦ It is working indeed.

I dug a little deeper. And I found a better solution. I am assuming that this all may have been the result of a virgl update. So I updated the Display Spice parameter (to support local spice only) and enabled OpenGL support using my chip set (i.e., an Intel processor). Then I changed back to using virtio and 3D acceleration. Everything is now working as it did before.

You should also remember to run updates on a TTY next time. When I started using Manjaro, I used to run updates on my KDE Plasma session, and I couldnā€™t get the logout screen to work when I attempted a reboot, so I ditched the desktop altogether when running updates ever since to avoid such problems.

1 Like

Sorry if OT, but whatā€™s the difference between steam-manjaro and steam-native?
Thanks in advance.

As I mentioned above:

This is what it does, it opens steam with this script instead of directly starting the Steam execuable.

#!/bin/bash
export STEAM_RUNTIME=0
export STEAM_RUNTIME_HEAVY=0
# Workaround for dbus fatal termination related coredumps (SIGABRT)
# https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/4464
export DBUS_FATAL_WARNINGS=0
# Override some libraries as these are what games linked against.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/steam:/usr/lib32/steam${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
exec /usr/lib/steam/steam "$@"

And it adds /usr/lib32/steam and /usr/lib/steam libraries to be used with the startup script.

1 Like