[Testing Update] 2021-01-14 - Kernels, KDE Frameworks 5.78, Cinnamon, Pulseaudio, Thunderbird, Haskell

Since I need the update 5.78 of KDE, when will this be available to the stable branch?

either when you sum your courage and move to this branch, or wait like the rest of the people who want to play absolutely safe in the stable branch.

seriously (has lot to do with numbers, i know), all forum posts indicate people in stable branch run into more issues than people in testing branch after updating.

2 Likes

Bad support for CJK characters on Konsole, see:

backspace will delete half of a character

I have my KDE showing me thumbnails when I switch between open programs (ALT+TAB), and after the update and reboot the thumbnails are almost triple in size from before. Not really liking that visual change.

I’m on stable branch and I can confirm this allegation. But strangely enough it happens more often to the last few stable updates than it was before that. Why ? I don’t know

mytake on this, while updates in testing branch are deemed less stable they are more granular thanks to having more frequent update cycles. the updates only change small subsets of software at a time. whereas updates in stable branch pack updates to many more software at time increasing the probability of breakage.

i dont have stats, but i’m also assuming there are larger number of people using the staging branch than there are the testing branch, which also exposes the possible issues with larger number of niche configurations (mostly hardware) also exacerbated by many software changes.

IMHO i think testing branch is best play-safe branch you could be in from my experience in the two. you get sane granular batch updates, whilst also standing behind unstable branch. i’m not meaning to say it is insane to be on the unstable branch. afterall only things that have made it into arch-stable makes its way there. just that i found updates keep coming endlessly a bit too much to manage.

4 Likes

May I ask you how you did it? Eventually you can point me to a wiki or something.
Thank You

That certainly makes sense. My worries are: why the latest “stable” updates appear to be more buggie than those stable updates, let’s say a few months ago. I’ve never experienced any issues with older stable updates. I may have been just lucky (and I use manjaro for over 2 years now), but my guess is that the latest updates come with more bugs from upstream and I mean not only Arch but also the kernel itself…

1 Like

pulseaudio-modules-bt and pulseaudio-modules-bt-git need rebuild against latest pulseaudio to work properly now they are built against 14.0, must be 14.1

2 Likes

It’s not necessary anymore as the patch is included in 5.10 as of 5.10.7-2.

Noticed that when I unplugged my headphones, the system didn’t automatically change to build-in speakers (after update). Never seen that before. Seems like the system changes automatically to headphones when they are plugged in, but does not change when I unplug them.

This update broke my system, not entirely but badly enough.

After the update I noticed that there is no Internet. Wifi was working, but no matter what network I chose, sites didn’t work, but megasync was connected. Without fully working Internet, the system is unusable. I checked testing, default user and the issue was there as well, so it wasn’t a matter of user configs.

I checked logs and noticed some disturbing kernel errors that weren’t present before. I decided to roll back to the latest backup (a week ago) and switch to stable branch for now. I don’t have much time to debug it.

Here is the log before the update (or after the backup restore) for comparison:

-- Journal begins at Sat 2020-11-28 18:02:30 CET, ends at Fri 2021-01-15 16:52:48 CET. --
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.config.core: "KConfigIni: In file /home/michaldybczak/.local/share/applications/org.kde.konversation.desktop, line 1: " Invalid entry (missing '=')
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/home/michaldybczak/.local/share/applications/org.kde.konversation.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/home/michaldybczak/.local/share/applications/org.kde.konversation.desktop"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "application/vnd.apple.keynote"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "image/g3fax"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "text/vnd.trolltech.linguist"
sty 15 16:42:49 alienware-PC udisksd[1050]: udisks_mount_get_mount_path: assertion 'mount->type == UDISKS_MOUNT_TYPE_FILESYSTEM' failed

Here is the log with the HORRIBLE MESS after the update:

It was not a matter of simply fixing Internet. Broken kernel, broken drivers, broken WM, broken Internet, broken Bluetooth and many many more.

I’m using Manjaro for over 5 years and never saw such mess after the update.

Your log is too detailed. Pls use journalctl --no-pager --no-hostname -b -p 3 next time.

1 Like

In fact, Konsole supports only English, even Greek alphabets will cause problems:

I am just typing qwer……vbnm QWER……VBNM in Greek

Mine looks fine:

1 Like

I’m using bash, is it bash’s problem? Or it is Linux-surface’s problem?

After the last testing update, my pulseaudio seems to misbehave. The output device always switches to PulseEffects(apps) instead of Speakers - Build-in Audio and the input device switches to none (empty) when I disconnect my earplugs.

Does anyone have the same issue?
My system:
Manjaro Gnome Testing
pulseaudio 14.1

I think I have the same, at least the system doesn’t change to speakers when I disconnect headphones. I am on KDE, and I see no change in sound output (just says Headphones).

Is it kernel-dependent issue: is it for the current kernel of 5.10-family or 5.11-rc3-related only?