[Testing Update] 2021-01-14 - Kernels, KDE Frameworks 5.78, Cinnamon, Pulseaudio, Thunderbird, Haskell

Noticed that when I unplugged my headphones, the system didn’t automatically change to build-in speakers (after update). Never seen that before. Seems like the system changes automatically to headphones when they are plugged in, but does not change when I unplug them.

This update broke my system, not entirely but badly enough.

After the update I noticed that there is no Internet. Wifi was working, but no matter what network I chose, sites didn’t work, but megasync was connected. Without fully working Internet, the system is unusable. I checked testing, default user and the issue was there as well, so it wasn’t a matter of user configs.

I checked logs and noticed some disturbing kernel errors that weren’t present before. I decided to roll back to the latest backup (a week ago) and switch to stable branch for now. I don’t have much time to debug it.

Here is the log before the update (or after the backup restore) for comparison:

-- Journal begins at Sat 2020-11-28 18:02:30 CET, ends at Fri 2021-01-15 16:52:48 CET. --
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.config.core: "KConfigIni: In file /home/michaldybczak/.local/share/applications/org.kde.konversation.desktop, line 1: " Invalid entry (missing '=')
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/home/michaldybczak/.local/share/applications/org.kde.konversation.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/home/michaldybczak/.local/share/applications/org.kde.konversation.desktop"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "application/vnd.apple.keynote"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "image/g3fax"
sty 15 16:42:41 alienware-PC kded5[7550]: kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "text/vnd.trolltech.linguist"
sty 15 16:42:49 alienware-PC udisksd[1050]: udisks_mount_get_mount_path: assertion 'mount->type == UDISKS_MOUNT_TYPE_FILESYSTEM' failed

Here is the log with the HORRIBLE MESS after the update:

It was not a matter of simply fixing Internet. Broken kernel, broken drivers, broken WM, broken Internet, broken Bluetooth and many many more.

I’m using Manjaro for over 5 years and never saw such mess after the update.

Your log is too detailed. Pls use journalctl --no-pager --no-hostname -b -p 3 next time.

1 Like

In fact, Konsole supports only English, even Greek alphabets will cause problems:

I am just typing qwer……vbnm QWER……VBNM in Greek

Mine looks fine:

1 Like

I’m using bash, is it bash’s problem? Or it is Linux-surface’s problem?

After the last testing update, my pulseaudio seems to misbehave. The output device always switches to PulseEffects(apps) instead of Speakers - Build-in Audio and the input device switches to none (empty) when I disconnect my earplugs.

Does anyone have the same issue?
My system:
Manjaro Gnome Testing
pulseaudio 14.1

I think I have the same, at least the system doesn’t change to speakers when I disconnect headphones. I am on KDE, and I see no change in sound output (just says Headphones).

Is it kernel-dependent issue: is it for the current kernel of 5.10-family or 5.11-rc3-related only?