[Testing Update] 2020-12-19 - KDE-git, Deepin, Firefox-Beta, Haskell, Pamac 10.0

Hello community,

Another testing branch update with some usual updates for you. Remember that we expect possible breakage of your system with this update!

Need your individual keyboard layout? We got you covered!.. #stayhome, #staysafe, #stayhealthy

• A lot of KDE-git packages got updated
  • Pamac got released as v10.0
  • Firefox got another beta release
  • Some Deepin packages got renewed
  • Haskell and other regular upstream updates

If you like following latest Plasma development you may also like to check out our current version of manjaro-kde-dev, which we build on a regular basis against kde-git master packages. Also check out our latest Manjaro Nibia 20.2 release! KDE, XFCE and Gnome

Our current supported kernels

• linux44 4.4.248
  • linux49 4.9.248
  • linux414 4.14.212
  • linux419 4.19.163
  • linux54 5.4.84
  • linux59 5.9.15
  • linux510 5.10.1
  • linux54-rt 5.4.82_rt45
  • linux59-rt 5.9.1_rt19

Packages Changes (Sat Dec 19 12:07:44 CET 2020)

• testing community x86_64: 984 new and 981 removed package(s)
  • testing core x86_64: 2 new and 4 removed package(s)
  • testing extra x86_64: 23 new and 23 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

3 Likes

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Testing Updates Announcements RSS feed

Python 3.9 Requires Rebuilds

Instructions for quickly and easily rebuilding affected AUR packages:

# Install yay
sudo pacman -S --needed --noconfirm yay

# Rebuild AUR python packages
yay -S --noconfirm $(pacman -Qqo "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages")

Older Issues

libtraceevent>=5.9-1 update requires manual intervention

2020-10-23 - Sébastien Luttringer

The libtraceevent package prior to version 5.9-1 was missing a soname link. This has been fixed in 5.9-1, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked files created by ldconfig. If you get any of these errors

libtraceevent: /usr/lib/libtraceevent.so.1 exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib/libtraceevent.so.1

to perform the upgrade.

https://www.archlinux.org/news/libtraceevent59-1-update-requires-manual-intervention/

OpenVPN connection times out.

Workaround: donwgrade openvpn (2.5.0-1 => 2.4.9-2).
For a proper solution follow this bug report on Arch Linux: FS#68480 : [openvpn] running unprivileged with iproute no longer working

PAM and PAMBASE got updated, which might prevent you from login

Due to updates from pambase and pam you might take care about any .pacnew files in /etc/pam.d as for example pam_tally, pam_tally2 and pam_cracklib got deprecated. Read in the ArchWiki about managing those files.

Typical issue:

For recovery, it is enough to boot with kernel option “systemd.unit=rescue.target”, then proceed into /etc/pam.d and merge “system-auth” and “system-auth.pacnew”

System takes a long time to boot

If you’ve got errors like Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online. you can try removing systemd from passwd and group in /etc/nsswitch.conf as described here
Update: If you can see the line
dbus-daemon[1453]: [system] Connection has not authenticated soon enough, closing it (auth_timeout=30000ms, elapsed: 45146ms)
in in your dbus log ( journalctl -b -u dbus ), the new/better workaround is to switch cups from service to socket as described here:
systemctl disable cups.service
systemctl enable cups.socket

I think I’ve some font problems

With the update of fontconfig some major rules how fonts get applied changed. Make sure that your system has ttf-dejavu installed. A more in depth explanation can be found here.

Gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell is currently incompatible with wayland

… and causes the system to freeze when the first window is tiled and can render it unbootable. Solution is a hard reset and disabling either pop shell or wayland. If the system becomes unbootable, use a live USB to edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf to disable wayland and reboot.

Hi,
pamac-gtk doesn’t start on KDE + 5.10 + nvidia, If I can provide some useful info let me know

just make sure you do not have mixed -dev with the non dev pamac.

Also check the plugins (flatpak and snap), with or without. You can share any error you get from opening it from terminal.

Working: pamac-gtk on Gnome and amd free drivers.
pamac 10:
What for is “Software-modus” intended?

It only shows software by categories, not packages, a more proper Store like behavior …

4 Likes

Can confirm the flatpak plugin is still causing issues, sometimes pamac gui will open with it installed others it won’t. Easiest to just leave it uninstalled for now

Only “issue” I had was that pamac was deselected from favorites in start menu. Easy fix.

Did you see/merge the /etc/pamac.conf.pacnew ?

Switching to kernel 5.10, on my laptop, the external display stopped working. Going back to kernel 5.9 it’s working again. Using the proprietary hybrid drivers.

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:591b 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: nvidia v: 455.45.01 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  chip ID: 10de:1c20 

mhwd --list output:

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1c20) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2020.11.30               false            PCI
    video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2020.11.30               false            PCI
              video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI
        video-nvidia-390xx            2020.11.30               false            PCI
               video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
         video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
                video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation:
                      NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
    video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2020.11.30               false            PCI
    video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2020.11.30               false            PCI
               video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
         video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
                video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

(Sorry I originally posted this in the previous update thread.)

I have the problem, that my laptop has this “Failed to load kernel modules”- error.
I had it with 5.10 and 5.9, installing 5.4 helped me to get into Gnome, but I still have this error while booting.
As long as I can use my laptop…

Yes only difference between the 2 was pacnew didn’t have flatpak and snap enabled so nothing really to merge. I just deleted the lines about flatpak and snap support and then renenabled them in settings see if it fixes the issue

It looks like A detailed list of all changes can be found here is for ARM

1 Like

Not really new in this specific update, but I noticed something with telegram-desktop: it seems to be a git version, not a stable/release version.
The current stable version is 2.4.7 (also in arch) but we got 2.4.14.r33.g7a07acb12 in this update.
Also the PKGBUILD seems to be a bit different from the arch one, on Manjaro a lot more is pulled from different git repos.
@nightmare-2021 why is this, do we really need a dev/git build for telegram?

To compare,
arch: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archlinux/svntogit-community/packages/telegram-desktop/trunk/PKGBUILD
manjaro: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/security-overlay/telegram-desktop/-/raw/master/PKGBUILD

1 Like

a very tiny update.

pamac (both pamac-cli & pamac-gtk) has LOST ability check for AUR updates it seems. I have double checked that AUR is enabled in pamac configuration.

1 Like

With ours we can have Group Voice Chats.

1 Like

That is fatal - important to clarify…

2 posts were split to a new topic: System does not boot with 5.10 kernel

Cool beans Manjaro team, loved the Pamac 10.0 performance and look ! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I can confirm the same. AUR is enabled but no AUR updates are showing even though I know there is one