[Testing Update] 2020-12-07 - BREAKAGE EXPECTED - Kernels, Mesa 20.3, Python 3.9, Pamac 10

The file didn’t get removed, and pacman said it was not owned by any package.

1 Like

Pamac 10 Beta tray icon shows that there are available package updates, even though I performed the updates.

Manjaro Gnome, X11
5.9.12-1-MANJARO

Thanks.

I’ve done all what you write, but after the same error :

dockx                               ✔  300  00:45:21 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/dockx", line 36, in <module>
    gi.require_version('Wnck', '3.0')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 129, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available for version %s' %
ValueError: Namespace Wnck not available for version 3.0

After installing rebuild-detector it found one package from repos that needs rebuild:

[omano@omano-nvme ~]$  checkrebuild
foreign github-desktop-bin
extra   ruby-kwalify

I had to rebuild optimus-manager-git, this is the only issue I’ve encountered yet.

1 Like

3x xfce linux59 nvidia455 update done

checkrebuild
foreign	kvirc-git-nokde
extra	libpurple
foreign	libunity
foreign	navigraph-fms-data-manager-beta
extra	pidgin

ty for hard work

have graphics problems since update:

• firefox shows blank region
  • planner has black box around app

(since i cant upload images…)
https://pasteboard.co/JDXnh5a.png
https://pasteboard.co/JDXnh5b.png

did an uninstall/reboot/install/reboot of the current nvidia 455 drivers - at least drivers are visible again in mhwd.
what to do next ?

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.76.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.9.12-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 780 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

thanks in advance

Try disable compositing with alt+shift+F12 and check if it affecting those apps.

Edit:
For Firefox, you might want to enable its Opengl compositor manually: Firefox/Tweaks - ArchWiki

Edit again:
Do not enable WebRender on Firefox with nvidia GPU. It seems broken atm. Use only Firefox OpenGL compositor if you want HW acceleration.

1 Like

systemd-resolved seems to be consuming around ~15% CPU at random times after the update, maybe a coincidence, will monitor further. Anyone experiencing that?

/edit: ah, pacnews… thx, overlooked them, so this explains the hiccups I had :exploding_head: :+1:

Hi.
libpurple in [extra] must also be rebuild.
$ checkrebuild
extra libpurple

The installation of the update went very well. I liked the way it was updated inux59-nvidia, linux59-headers and linux - utils.

I am using a MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010
The updated worked for me.
BUT if I switch to nouveau driver, the power management does not work anymore.
Additionally I have since long time the issue that wifi does not work after cold-boot. Only after I send my macbook to sleep and wake it up again, the wifi works. But that does not work with nouveau driver, as it does not wake up from sleep anymore, or better said it does not really go to sleep mode. Display turns off but sleep LED does not light up. Have to hold power button for several seconds to turn off. The legacy NVIDIA driver works fine.

Manjaro-hello does not work in combination with Pamac 10 Beta. It requires version 9.0.

~ >>> manjaro-hello                                                                                                               
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 409, in <module>
    hello = Hello()
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 172, in __init__
    manager.get_modules(self)
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 30, in get_modules
    app.load(window)
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 80, in load
    from application_utility.browser.application_browser import ApplicationBrowser
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/application_utility/browser/application_browser.py", line 26, in <module>
    from application_utility.config.hello_config import HelloConfig
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/application_utility/config/hello_config.py", line 25, in <module>
    from application_utility.browser.config import Config
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/application_utility/browser/config.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .data import Data
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/application_utility/browser/data.py", line 31, in <module>
    gi.require_version("Pamac", "9.0")
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 129, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available for version %s' %
ValueError: Namespace Pamac not available for version 9.0'

I created an issue on gitlab: Manjaro-Hello does not run together with Pamac 10 Beta

i will add
correct video-nvidia by chroot
( remove nvidia-utils-455xx with option -Rdd , then mhwd -a pci free 0300 , mhwd -a cpi nonfree 0300)

nb : if you have Grub error on boot ( csm + secureboot activated --> no csm , no secureboot )

@Manjaro-Team

with lightdm - xfce - lock screen and systemd

i will check if trouble still occurs on screen lock:

1. i can log in
  2. lost of video screen ( goes black )
  3. i log in TTY
  4. i apply “sudo systemctl restart lightdm” to get back xorg & video
    and then it’s ok

with boot kernel : systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 ( need to apply 4)

next try : without systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy ( need to apply 4 )
next try : downgrade systemd ==> version 247 systemd is not ready
( lib32-systemd , systemd , systemd-libs , systemd-syscompat) ( need to apply 4 )

@philm
what i have see :
pam secret on lock xfce session do not know login ,

with check ( sudo systemctl status )
session 2 with login ( user ok on boot )
lock screen , type password
failed return session 2 ( no more login appears , pam secret with warn )

pam_warn(systemd-user:setcred): function=[pam_sm_setcred] flags=0x8004 service=[systemd-user] terminal=[] user=[lightdm] ruser=[<unknown>] rhost=[<unknow>]
==> NO USER HERE 

then Ctrl+Alt+F2
tty create session 5 with login ( user ok )
check , there is 2 session2 and 5 , only session5 has login --user

if i do sudo systemctl restart ligthdm.service
session 2 & session 5 are fusioned , video is back ( login user is ok )

==> we lost login --user HERE on lock screen

Had to downgrade linux-firmware due to wifi problems

affected device
Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device 6621
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

This switch to the new nvidia packages is kind of a mess. lib32-nvidia-utils correctly conflicts and replaces, while nvidia-utils does not for example (it only conflicts). I also ended up with linux59 without the nvidia kernel module thanks to linux-latest. Fixed all those issues on my end, but unless that’s addressed, we may end up with a lot of broken systems.

P.s.: Why not make kernel linux59 replace all previous kernels instead of using a proxy meta package? That would also solve various dependency issues. When for example the kernel gui tries to remove linux59.

Not sure why this happened. But I am running the testing branch on my laptop. I am using KDE Plasma. It’s an Asus Laptop. No dedicated GPU. It’s only GPU is the internal one by my CPU (Intel).

When checking for updates using yay, yay -Syu, I get “Missing aur packages: mwhd-nvidia-340xx, 418xx, 430xx, 440xx, 450xx, and 455xx”. I did not have this issue until this latest testing update.

Note: In the “missing aur packages” output I put, I didn’t include the “mwhd-nvidia” part for the rest of the packages just to save myself from typing it all out.

Another note and possible issue. When I go to “Add or Remove Software” and I check for updates via that, it get’s to about 90% and seems to finish but crashes. I think it may be crashing when it’s going to display the updates I have.

That means they’re orphans an you can remove them.

I was able to upgrade my intel/nvidia stack by removing conflicting packages and then reinstall the prime package for linux59. Everything went seamlessly from there on in respect to the gpu drivers and kernel upgrade.
But I have two other problems:

1. I’m on a thinkpad T480 and with linux59 brightness controls are not working, no problems with linux54, linux58 and linux510. So I switched to linux510 for now and can live with this workaround

2. I had to do a partial upgrade due to problems with the pipewire package and it’s pulse plugins:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
     core                                  168,3 KiB  7,15 MiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
     extra                                 1961,6 KiB  31,9 MiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
     community                      6,3 MiB  31,7 MiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
     multilib                            182,2 KiB  44,5 MiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
    :: Starting full system upgrade...
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for conflicting packages...
    :: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio? [y/N] y
    :: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio-modules-bt are in conflict (pulseaudio-bluetooth). Remove pulseaudio-modules-bt? [y/N] y
    error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
    :: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-equalizer
    :: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-jack
    :: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-lirc
    :: removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=14.0-1' required by pulseaudio-zeroconf
    error installing repo packages```

I’m not sure if this is an individual problem.

UPDATE:
For now, I ended up with removing the pipewire-pulse package and the upgrade went fine. Will try the pulse replacement by pipewire later again.