Testers needed: Manjaro KDE massive cleanup/rename

Hello, i’ve recently updated my system and I have a problem with Yakuake, it doesn’t have any border (or can’t hide/show it via the settings).
From what i’ve read here, it’s thanks to the new theme, but it could be great to have a border like with the breeze skin, and if someone don’t like it, he/she can disable it via the settings.
Also, translucency doesn’t work (not sure if it’s because of the update tho)

(I’m sorry if my message may not be relevent, I come from the [Stable Update] 2021-12-10 announce and it references this thread)

Install “Force Blur” from “Get New Stuff” in System Settings --> Window Management --> KWin Scripts.

2 Likes

Right-click the open window, select “Edit current profile”, then select “Appearance” and click the Edit button. You’ll see a slider for setting the translucency.

2 Likes

Sometimes (only in yakuake), even after enabling translucency in profile settings as you said, the blur doesn’t appear visually. Only when I enable Force Blur thereafter, the blurring works in yakuake. :sweat_smile:
Maybe a bug, maybe …

1 Like

Yes, that’s an old “bug” ─ if we can call it that ─ in Yakuake. It has been around forever. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s rather a feature already, a special infuriating bit from Plasma devs :rofl:

I also need the blur :slight_smile: Following worked for me.
You can enable it by editing ~/.config/yakuakerc

[Appearance]
Blur=true
5 Likes

Does that work even without the forceblur script?

It should. I don’t use that script.

1 Like

Blur is an option of yakuake, just is not enabled by default and also has no GUI way to control it.

3 Likes

Any issues I’ve had I followed what was suggested here and it works.I have yakuake disabled at startup and after deleting the breath 2 profile and adding a new profile in konsole bash is back.I also installed manjaro-pipewire and I finally figured out how to get it to work with hdmi.I don’t see how it’s kde related but I noticed that for some reason dolphin is not working with samba meaning the files I have shared on another computer can not be found unless I use smb://ipaddress.I have fedora 35 on the other computer and it’s still working opening files on manjaro.I haven’t found any .new files with updates so I have no clue whats changed.

How does melding more directly with bare/default kde instead of curating a self-maintained theme even remotely mean that?

Or are you just trolling with some dumb and debunked links?

6 Likes

Both yakuake themes could use a little improvement for tabs:

• “Breath Light”: Tab title of inactive tabs is not readable due to dark font color on a dark background being used.
  • “Breath Dark” and “Breath Light”: It’s impossible to distinguish mutliple inactive tabs - there is no separation visible (possibly due to “border = 0”? edit: in the “default” skin the “tab separator” seems to be defined in the tabs/selected_back.svg).
3 Likes

@bogdancovaciu

Thanks for reporting. I see where the issue is, and since i was working local, some symlinks got overwritten and pointing elsewhere.

Also, not decided between this style

Or this style

Or this style

for the accents. Do not mind the background main colors …

@LordTermor - looking into it …

2 Likes

The one in the middle looks most professional and contemporary. The one at the bottom looks nice too, but a bit “dated”. The one at the top is less clear when only looking from the corner of one’s eye ─ as many will be doing.

Just my humble opinion, of course. :wink:

1 Like

I’d go mimicing Breeze style for consistency, so the first variant. We also could ask KDE to provide the same skins upstream but since it’s not fully our work I don’t know if they would accept it.

1 Like

Thanks, will do some more visual tests.

That would be the first one but without the gradients, and better lineweight with the separators.

I don’t understand why the separators are not the same pixel size when viewed …

Update:
We will see how this will be received. The package will need an update, as i changed a couple of things …

Based on how actually the tabs should be like, as on breeze, there is no way for me to respect it, unless i break the upper and lower parts in two, and run a separator, same as on this tabs for example:

i think you get my point. Will investigate more. What was funny is to see corner for left and right and most of themes have those to be 1 pixel. So, i need to understand what’s up with that, because i honestly can’t bend 1 pixel shape :joy:

1 Like

I think I’m in love with the light version, but I dislike the dark one. Active tab on the light one looks like a pressed button with its neighbours’ surface above it, but active tab on the dark version looks like some sort of label or released button and the adjacent tabs are kind of below it.

1 Like

Yeah … i hear you 100%
Playing a bit with different variations, also with the spacing.

Not convinced by it, but i might have another approach to all this to find a common ground between light and dark variants to follow breeze much closer.

1 Like