System pinned at Python 3.11

It appears 3.12 is the current on Arch. But, my 2 Manjaro systems seem stuck at 3.11.

Reading here: About Python versions, directories, and upgrades

It says: " In the “official” repositories of Manjaro and Arch,
all Python packages are updated to match the new interpreter."

This leads me to think that Arch and Manjaro would be in sync.

Have missed a doing something or done something that would pin my system to 3.11?

Or is Manjaro not kept in sync?

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.6.26-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 6 × AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2

You’re probably on stable branch and it hasn’t caught up yet.

You are missing that manjaro has 3 branches and you are on stable. Please read about branches (manjaro unstable is directly synced, stable is behind, testing in between)

See the note about Python 3.12 in Testing Update 2024-05-02. The note itself isn’t as important as the fact that Python 3.12 is currently in the Testing branch.

Note that Manjaro’s Unstable branch is arguably on par with the Arch Stable branch. You will need to wait for it to reach Stable in Manjaro, which probably will not be too far away.

This will help you understand the Manjaro branch heirarchy:

Additionally, there has been much focus on getting Plasma 6 release-ready for Manjaro; this, in itself, has no doubt caused general delays as packages are prepared, tested, fixed, and tested again for compatibility and overall readiness for general availability. This tends to happen with every major update of KDE.

Cheers.

1 Like

Python 3.12 was released to Testing branch 2024-04-28

$ mbn info python -q
Branch         : archlinux
Name           : python
Version        : 3.12.3-1
Repository     : core
Build Date     : Tue 23 Apr 2024 10:16:07 
Packager       : Jelle van der Waa <jelle@archlinux.org>
Branch         : unstable
Branch         : testing
Branch         : stable
Version        : 3.11.8-1
Build Date     : Mon 12 Feb 2024 14:50:05 
Packager       : Felix Yan <felixonmars@archlinux.org>

Please see:

Python:
stable 3.11.8-1
testing 3.12.3-1
unstable 3.12.3-1
1 Like

I would suggest you stay on stable and wait for python 3.12 arriving when everything is ready. There are some packages with programmes wanting an old python lib called imp instead of the newer importlib. An example is gPodder.

I recommend you to use something like pyenv (available in the extra repo) to not depend on the system Python. Very easy to use. I haven’t found any problems with it yet

1 Like

I have, on several occasions, attempted to use the pyenv stuff. And, it has yet to provide a working solution to any issue I had.

It is probably my understanding of what I actually need to deal with whatever issue I had. It was typically attempting to handle two different apps not having the same major.minor version of Python.

I’m sure it (pyenv) works great to allow an app to run with a specific Python version and package version.

Stable Update 2024-05-13 includes python 3.12.3-1