System-config-printer required to install printers

Just wondering why system-config-printer package is not included by default in Manjaro Gnome. So far, the printers I have installed required this package to be able to install via Gnome.
And I am not the only one, also it is not limited to Brother printers…

and more…

When I add a printer (because you can easily find the printer that is connected to the same LAN) without that package, I instantly get “Failed to add new printer”, like the system didn’t even attempt anything.
With that package installed, it actually does something: a popup that says “finding driver” !

If a driver is available or if I added the driver by installing an AUR Brother package, it will automatically find the printer :slight_smile:

it seems to me, the Add button in Settings > Add Printer… > [select printer from the list of discovered printers] > Add cannot work for network printers without that package? So if that button exists, the package should be installed? Just wondering about this. It really seems as if that button is simply “broken” because it instantly says failed.. without the mentioned package.

system-config-printer is an optional dependency of manjaro-printer and gnome-control-center (GNOME Settings). It’s up to a user to review optional dependencies of packages they have installed to see what they may need in addition to the defaults. Not everyone has a printer.

1. Users don’t install gnome-control-center, it’s installed by default so they don’t even see the option to install dependencies.
  2. Since the whole UI flow is there, a user cannot learn a required package to finish that flow is missing.
  3. If this is the logic, why is the button there? Should also be optional?

So many other things that not everyone has, yet it’s installed, for example RDP (which I do enjoy).

Now there is a whole UI flow, but the final action of that flow is broken.

Wouldn’t a more useful message stating a package is missing be helpful?
Now, the only way to find out why that last step doesn’t work… is to scroll through the forum :slight_smile:

RDP is a good example btw!
In Gnome 40, there was no UI to configure credentials, so the package was optional. You could configure credentials through a guide from a Gnome developer.
Now, in 42, the UI is available and the package seems to be installed by default :slight_smile: even though many users have no need for RDP :slight_smile:

Manjaro is not Arch, however, we do inherit their packages and usually also apply the K.I.S.S. principle with our own packaging as well. However, we offer many conveniences Arch does not.

Some of what you’re mentioning is how GNOME Settings is designed upstream. Manjaro does not develop GNOME. Mostly you’re barking up the wrong tree.

Only if they don’t want to. :wink:

It’s not, actually. gnome-remote-desktop is another optional dependency of gnome-control-center and is not installed by default. Not everyone needs remote desktop functionality and not everyone wants both a Graphic and Compute GPU process running.

1 Like

I am here with my aunt, and I switched her to Manjaro from Win10 6 months ago. She likes it, but now wants to go back because basic stuff is missing: installing a USB printer (that is automatically found by the system) instantly fails, with no useful feedback.

Now I wonder, how are users, not Manjaro or Gnome developers, suppose to know this very specific package is the culprit and is necessary?

I didn’t know, I had to search and Google. Just to do something as simple as installing a printer.

How is this suppose to work for end users, how can they know this package is necessary, to install a printer?

I too am switching from Windows 10 to Linux. I can’t get my Canon TS3160 to operate.
Google advises me to download various codes and action them in the terminal.
Is there a simple GUI app to do this for me.
The lack of a simple way to connect to a printer is perhaps one of the reasons that Linux will never be the “Desktop of the Year”. Most home users have a printer but not the skills to connect it.
I have located a Canon driver page which displays 172 different drivers, one for their many models.
An simple advice would be appreciated.