System broken, timeshift snapshots not visible/working

Good morning lovely people,
I again where able to crash my whole system (probably a connection issue while updating the system and i tried to play the 1999 game pharaos…)
Wenn i try to use snapshot to restore anything i just get [failed] this and thats errors, not even the info that im in emergency mode.

I made myself a bootable usb stick but didnt knew that xfce and kde are different things and have a stick with xfce on it while my old system (kernel?) Was kde.
When i used the usb stick to get to timeshift it showed on the first try some snapshots but after loading one and restarting nothing worked anymore and it also didnt showed any snapshots anymore (have btrfs drive)

I tried to install from the bootable stick a new kernel but it also failed.

I still have data on my hard drive (you know games n stuff) so it isnt lost.

What can i / should i do to get the whole thing running again with minimal loss to my (home) files?

Also i have no stable or fast internet because i am in a hospital and use my phone with usb tethering to gain internet access

Ps: chroot -a does not work, telling me no linux installed

How to boot from USB into live Manjaro (for repair):

Then make a backup of important files !

Make Backups:

Then try to repair (from chroot)

Repeat the update !

Then add a second kernel

Please install 2 kernels (one of them LTS)

If you need help:

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.

[HowTo] Provide System Information

1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
    (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

btrfs snapshots will allways be visible by using btrfs command

You find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

and in

1 Like

Thank you very much

Last year I had Timeshift set to do rsync snapshots to a separate HDD.

I was informed that this isn’t the right idea - they aren’t backups - so I also started using Back-in-time to do a similar job.

Later on I just started leaving snapshots on the /home drive and backups on a /mnt/backupHDD.

So when disaster strikes (it did - when I tried to restore a timeshift snapshot, it failed… and ALL the snapshots failed… but much of the data was backed up anyway). I reinstalled from USB and manually rebuilt, copying back settings as needed.

BTRFS is superb for doing hourly snapshots for a quick reboot recovery - but you need a backup for safety.

1 Like