Strange problem with buildiso

I created a new vm and downloaded the xfce Iso and installed Manjaro onto the new vm which went perfectly. I then did an update which also went fine then followed this tutorial Build Manjaro ISOs with buildiso - Manjaro and created a new iso however the iso runs fine but when using Calamares to install Manjaro using the new iso it fails near the end of the install phase with a message similar to no console font is defined. I think I’m doing everything correctly but I may be missing something. I hope someone wiser than me can see if I made a mistake

That is not a failure - only a warning - failure is something else.

The longer explanation on the warning is: A missing font definition in /etc/vconsole.conf

Example from my workstation

$ cat /etc/vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=dk-latin1
FONT=lat2-16
FONT_MAP=8859-10

EDIT: I should probably add - the lack of font definition in vconsole.conf is intentional, it is not an error, as the lack thereof will not cause installation failure.

It is a message generated when mkinitcpio runs the consolefont hook.

The reason for the expression - warning - is inherited from Arch - it is used to signal that your system configuration may be improved - as I said - it is not fatal.

Here is the full message that is shown,

Command mkinitcpio finished with exit code 1.
Output:

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux54.preset: 'default'
==> Using default configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 -g /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img --microcode /boot/amd-ucode.img --microcode /boot/intel-ucode.img
==> Starting build: '5.4.270-1-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [kms]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img'
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux54.preset: 'fallback'
==> Using default configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 -g /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect --microcode /boot/amd-ucode.img --microcode /boot/intel-ucode.img
==> Starting build: '5.4.270-1-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [kms]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'ast'
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qed'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'aic94xx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'wd719x'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'bfa'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img'
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

I belive maybe the warning is being treated as an error but may be wrong

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

The output you are listing is from the buildiso process - not installation as you indicated in your OP.

The team uses buildiso very frequently including myself and I have no errors when building development ISOs - but that is all done using testing or unstable branch.

There is a distant possibility the issue is caused if you target stable branch - due to the release of Plasma 6 - stable branch has not had a snap for quite some time - quite a few quirks to iron out - especially relating to Plymouth, kms and Nvidia.

Retry the build using testing or unstable and kernel 6.6

buildiso -p <profile> -b unstable -k linux66

No the information is what Calamares shows when it fails in a neat error window. As I said the iso builds fine
imgurlhere/a/mIA9eOK

replace the words imgurlhere with the url for imgur. I wrote it like that as the forum says I cant embed media

I don’t know what causes it but if you get that message in the installer - then your buildiso will contain the same message.

I will quote myself …

It is possible mkinitcpio on stable branch causes this - I don’t know - which is why I encourage you to retry the ISO using testing or unstable branch.

:bangbang: Tip :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Many thanks linux-aahus using the command you gave produced a working iso that installs perfectly

Just note you are on Unstable Branch.

You may or may not want to address that.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.