Steam "prime-run" issue

Hello I am a linux noob, I have an Asus R558UQ aptop with Nvidia 940mx and Manjaro KDE version installed. I use it for study and very casual gaming,
My issue is with “prime-run steam”, steam used to open just fine but after 2-3 days it began showing this error and the login prompt won’t simply show up :frowning:

These are the last few lines of the text I get in Konsole

“CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 939 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1626824053)
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 152 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
Resource id in failed request: 0x780000b
Serial number of failed request: 0
Current serial number in output stream: 201
Can’t open bumblebee display.
Can’t open bumblebee display.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1626824053)”

Do you have the lastest 470 NVIDIA drivers right? In that case you dont need prime-run anymore,try running steam normally without prime-run and run a game and see if it uses the NVIDIA card automatically.

In case is not working,right click on the game on steam and in the launch options type

prime-run %command%

Thats the correct way of doing prime-run with steam.

2 Likes

Suspicious for a PRIME hybrid setup…

Give a proper system view, more info because something seems odd to me there. How to provide good information

Also follow what is said above. You don’t want to run Steam on Nvidia, but only the games.

Ho I didn’t know that, not that I don’t believe you but do you have some more info about that (just for my own knowledge)?

3 Likes

The only official information is from the changelogs for 470,but it was not clear
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/176525/en-us

• Added support for PRIME Display Offload where both the display offload source and display offload sink are driven by the NVIDIA X Driver.

Then I tested and found out that in integrated mode (intel card only) I can invoke the nvidia card without any prime-run,this was also discussed recently in a thread.

2 Likes