Steam not recognizing my secondary internal drive

Hey all, I’m a new Manjaro user who just migrated from windows. I’m just having some issues with the above, I think it may be because I don’t have a ext4 partition made, but when I try to make one, it gives me “(udisks-error-quark, 11)” I’ve really hit a brick wall here and no other forum posts have really helped.

Hello @Travis and welcome :wink:

$ LANG=C errno 11
EAGAIN 11 Resource temporarily unavailable

I would assume that you try to create a filesystem on a mounted and active partition?

What do you mean by not recognizing? You need to point to the folder where the partition has been mounted. If you just use your file manager that it must be located at /run/media/$USER/. ($USER is variable for your usename).

However… it is a bad idea to run windows games on a ntfs partition with proton, because the file system is not fully compatible with it.

Hey there, thanks for the willingness to help. What I mean by not recognizing is when I try to add a second library for my other drive, the drive is not in the menu, nor is it in the options when trying to choose it manually, the same thing has happened with my discord, it will not allow me to take files that I had previously put in and upload them.

As for the error I was getting, yeah, I was trying to create a partition on a mounted drive, does it need to be unmounted to do that?

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

That confuses me even more. Please describe/show your steps.

Indeed. You cannot format/manipulate a partition which is mounted. Isn’t that obvious? Maybe use gparted instead of gnome-disks.

okay, so now my drive isn’t showing up in the file manager either, but essentially what would happen is that when I went to add a new steam library location, my mechanical drive was not appearing, only my boot drive was. I’ll attach a picture of what I see.

Now I’m running into the issue of my drive appearing in gnome but not in the file manager, of which I’m not sure the cause is.

Ok I see now the misunderstanding.

To put it simple: Linux is not Windows :smiley:

1. There is the root file system, which you see, when you try to add a location.
  2. Partitions are mounted into folders. That means they mounted into the root filesystem. At the file manager, you see a shortcut, but the location is actually somewhere else.
  3. When the partition is mounted, type this into a terminal:
    grep "media\|mnt" /etc/mtab
    There you should see the path, where it is mounted. /dev/sdXYN represents the partition, which is mounted on /run/media/drive or /media/drive etc. It can be any folder, everywhere. but these are the default locations which file managers use.
  4. So you have to navigate to the mounted folder at the Stprage Manager and select it.

Gotcha? Questions?

A search in the forum about this “issue” reveals quite a few results