Steam games crashing/freezing on start up

I advise you to stay on the LTS Kernel which currently is the 5.4 one. You could go on 5.8 but please, manage your kernels then and keep track of update announcements on this forum to check when kernel will become EOL (End Of Life) to replace them before it happens. LTS Kernel are here to stay many years, when non LTS got remove quickly.
Ideal is to have the LTS as backup, and the latest one (not the RC one the latest non RC one).

Make sure you are not running off an NTFS drive. It will cause all Proton games to crash.

@omano I upgraded the kernel and the nvidia driver, but I still canā€™t seem to get it off nouveau

@Lord_Phan It was running off NTFS fine before I formatted the other day. It wonā€™t allow me to format to exfat and when I tried formatting on of my drives to ext4 it wouldnā€™t let me write to it. I have 3x4tb drives and a 2tb available. I donā€™t mind formatting one of the extra 4tb drives for games, just not sure what is best.

I believe it works just fine on a NTFS drive. And now I looked for the information they even have a wiki page to configure it

The issue here is probably heā€™s using nouveau drivers.

1 Like

Are you sure you installed the nvidia hybrid configuration? How did you do it?

mhwd -li

give the output

mhwd -li

Installed PCI configs:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-nvidia-450xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
 video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
       video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

You did not install the hybrid nvidia configuration, this is plain nvidia driver for single video card.

what is available when you type

mhwd -l

When I set up my wifeā€™s computer as a dual boot the proton games were crashing. I created an extra partition on her storage drive and formatted it as ext4, created a new Steam library on it, move them over and they worked. Worth a try if you have room. She had 3tb free on that drive so partitioning off 1tb was easy. On my computer I have an ext4 drive specially for a steam library.

I donā€™t know why you canā€™t get the proprietary drivers to work. My wife also has an Nvidia card(760gtx) and I was able to set them up by entering the mhwd command in terminal.
As omano says, that may be the issue. I was just giving you something else to check to make sure that it isnā€™t a drive issue since I had that issue this month.

mhwd -l

0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1b81) Display controller nVidia Corporation:

video-nvidia-450xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-nvidia-440xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-nvidia-435xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-nvidia-430xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-nvidia-418xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
video-nvidia-390xx            2019.10.25               false            PCI
 video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
        video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

0000:00:02.0 (0380:8086:3e98) Display controller Intel Corporation:

sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime
Warning: no matching device for config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime' found!
Error: config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime' conflicts with config(s): video-nvidia-450xx

Thanks for the link. Iā€™ll look it over to see which setting was making NTFS not work. It looks like as you say, if you set it up a certain way it can work.

You need to remove the nvidia driver first to install another one, but anyway something is still wrong, it say it doesnā€™t find compatible deviceā€¦

EDIT: I verified, your card should be compatible with the nvidia 450 hybrid profile, I see its ID in the IDs list.

This format has not gone smoothly at all. Im unsure how to get past this error.

did you try to remove the nvidia driver, and install the hybrid profile again?

sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime
sudo: mhwd: command not found

Use Manjaro Settings Manager, the graphical interface, and remove nvidia drivers, then install the nvidia hybrid drivers from here. At some point if the native commands donā€™t even work, Iā€™m not magician.

I did that, restarted, no drivers and
mhwd -l
bash: mhwd: command not found
Manjaro setting manager hardware configuration is empty.

Im not sure how to fix that to install

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel
bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:3e98
Device-2: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia
v: 450.66 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1b81
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia resolution:
1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz 3: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.66
direct render: Yes

What did you do from when you typed the command mhwd successfully and now?

You removed something manually?

I only removed the non 450 drivers. and used sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime

Be specific please.

Exactly, what did you do.

I went to the package manager and removed only the nvidia-390xx-utils drivers, all(430, etc) but the one for 450