Startupscreen Graphics Glitch

Hello, I just installed a fresh Manjaro minimal installation. Should be the most recent installer unless something got changed within the last week.

I am using KDE Plasma and Wayland and if I set a startup-screen I get a little graphical distortion using both “Breath” variants:

Sometimes it looks a bit differently, but I always get some kind of graphical glitch instead of a spinning gear, like there is in the “Breeze” startup screen:

I first thought it might be a Hardware issue, but since I can screenshot the glitch I doubt that, since all issues that indicated there might be one are gone since I switched from Fedora to Manjaro.

Maybe this issue is related i.e. it might have something to do with the Kernel but I haven’t tested yet.
I tested if the issue persists on a second freshly installed user account when switching to X11 and it disappeared in fact, however after deleting that new test user I switched to X11 and back with my main user account but the glitch persists.

Potencially relevant information:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
Branch: Stable
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.1.0
Qt Version: 6.7.0
Kernel Version: 6.9.0-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

Please tell me if I can provide any logs etc or if is indeed a know issue and/or has already been reported upstream.

It’s a known problem when using Wayland on AMD graphics. Either switch to X11 for the time being, or be patient until Plasma 6.1 arrives — it reportedly fixes the issue.

1 Like

Is it though?

It only affects breath animation.

Which of course makes it appear less like a problem with ‘amd/wayland’ and more a problem with breath.

Ah, you’re right — I forgot that it’s related to Breath. :man_facepalming:

But it apparently doesn’t occur on X11. :man_shrugging:

Outdated and unkempt things go brr. :sweat_smile:

For whatever it may be worth to whomever it may concern … heres a bunch of ‘manjaro splash’ uploads:

https://www.pling.com/find?search=manjaro%20splash

(oh huh. that ‘calmness’ one matches the new wallpaper sorta)

Well on X11 it is not persistent, happens for the first few ms or so and than isnt there. On Wayland however I managed to also get it to behave normal with a fresh user account, however somehow it doesnt work for my current user with switching between wayland and X11.

Thanks anyway, if it is going to get fixed the issue can get closed, I have no problem with startup animations being disabled anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.