Stange flickering of the whole session, and periodic dimming of the display's backlight: Acer nitro 5 (ryzen 4000 + nvidia)

I tried turning the screen on and off, but the flickering stays the same, but I noticed that, when I press Ctrl Alt F2 for tty, the flickering stops…i dont know what it means.

I sometimes have to repeatedly turn the screen on/off, usually by the third try it stops flickering

For me switching to another tty acts like turning he screen on/off does, if it was flickering, sometimes is stops it, if it was not, the it will likely start flickering again on the tty.

Hello, I just couldn’t let this go, so I followed steps 4 and 7 of this tutorial. [HowTo] Install Manjaro on the ASUS TUF FX505DY / FX705DY with Ryzen / Radeon combo in point 7 says something about variable refresh, I applied those changes, and so far the laptop stopped showing the flickering. maybe this could work for you too.

Unfortunately for me, the the sleep / hibernation fix seems to have done nothing, but since the last (or the one before that? I can’t remember) is was not that broken, the only issue seems to be that firefox gets messed up, but that may have to do something with the custom userChrome.css I have, as well as latte-dock not behaving very well after waking up from sleep, e.g. it only shows up on the external monitor.

For the flickering, because I use optimus-manager to be able to switch between integrated and nvidia only modes, placing that file there does nothing, as optimus-manager removes it; however I did try setting triplebuffer and switching to the amdgpu driver, as well as turning on the tearfree option with optimus-manager, but neither fixed it.

The [Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1 using the 5.10 kernel seems to have resolved the flickering issue. (using 59 the flickering returns)

It took some work to get everything working though:

• I have completely removed any nvidia related packages, then did the update, then installed the new rolling nvidia driver (with mhwd), because without uninstalling them, pacman did not let me just straight update from 455xx to the rolling driver.
  • I also had to reinstall optimus-manager (I use the AUR package, so I just cleanbuilt it with yay)
  • Also applied the fix for the black screen issue on AMD GPUs, see the above linked forum post for more details, I just followed the instructions in the forum post:

For now everything seems to be working fine, and (on kernel 510) the screen flicker and backlight blinking is gone.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.