[Stable Update] 2026-03-23 - Kernels, Mesa, COSMIC, GNOME, Systemd, Plasma

Plasma bug in divided windows: no context menu / or wrong edit
Still there

4 posts were split to a new topic: Audio playback issue in Firefox after update

Thanks, I’m on kernel 6.18. I haven’t tried to roll back this one too much (tried it once with both mesa and kernel which gave a blackscreen). I tried downgrading first mesa then all the packages with mesa in the name : both led me to a blackscreen on boot without being able to access tty…

So for now I’m staying on the previous release of manjaro

1 Like

I think I used the wrong terminology when I included the kernel in the downgrade mention. I more meant to swap to an older LTS rrelease.

not sure if you are aware, but you can have more than one kernel installed and swap between them at GRUB boot.

I have the 6.6, 6.12, and 6.18 LTS kernels (all latest version) that I can swap between. A useful way to test for kernel/driver changes (assuming they didn’t patch down the stack) between kernels.

Kernel downgrading to me would be more like moving from kernel 6.18.YY to 6.18.XX. This method can reveal some “dependancy” issues that can be difficult to unravel… so I always swap between kernel versions at boot before considering doing this

4 Likes

Hello,

At first, I thought this update was fine. But then I started noticing that my laptop would often not properly go to sleep after closing the lid, or perhaps it does not wake up. When I lift the lid, I notice that the power LED is still on (usually it takes a second to light up after lifting the lid), the screen is black, and the computer is completely unresponsive.

This happens completely randomly, and I’m not sure what’s causing it.

I think it happens more often when I use my USB-C/thunderbolt dock with my laptop. But I can’t say for sure. I think it still happens even if I don’t use the dock.

I believe this issue started happening after this update. But I’m not sure why, AFAIK there hasn’t been a kernel update. I’m on the 6.6.128-1 kernel

Is there any reason you’re still on 6.6?

2 Likes

There’s quite a bit that can go wrong with sleep/suspend and you’ll need to delve into the system logs to get an idea of where things are going wrong and/or whether its consistently the same issue.

It worked for a long time so far, it’s considered an LTS, and i have no reason to upgrade

I’ve tried, I do see some errors, but i can’t tell which are relevant and which aren’t… errors in the logs happen all the time. This is the output of journalctl -b -1 last time this happened

Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop systemd-logind[664]: The system will suspend and later hibernate now!
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Demoting known real-time threads.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Successfully demoted thread 7163 of process 3121.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop NetworkManager[657]: <info>  [1777297355.0418] manager: sleep: sleep requested (sleeping: no  enabled: yes)
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop ModemManager[758]: <msg> [sleep-monitor-systemd] system is about to suspend
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop NetworkManager[657]: <info>  [1777297355.0419] device (p2p-dev-wlp58s0): state change: disconnected -> unmanaged (reason 'unmanaged-nm-disabled', managed-type: 'full')
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Successfully demoted thread 2862 of process 2705.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop NetworkManager[657]: <info>  [1777297355.0423] device (3C:01:EF:70:79:24): state change: disconnected -> unmanaged (reason 'unmanaged-nm-disabled', managed-type: 'full')
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop ModemManager[758]: <msg> [sleep-monitor-systemd] ready to sleep; dropping inhibitor
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop NetworkManager[657]: <info>  [1777297355.0426] device (20:0E:2B:EC:69:86): state change: disconnected -> unmanaged (reason 'unmanaged-nm-disabled', managed-type: 'full')
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Successfully demoted thread 1554 of process 1544.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop NetworkManager[657]: <info>  [1777297355.0430] device (3C:38:F4:65:E5:B2): state change: disconnected -> unmanaged (reason 'unmanaged-nm-disabled', managed-type: 'full')
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Successfully demoted thread 1544 of process 1544.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop NetworkManager[657]: <info>  [1777297355.0432] manager: NetworkManager state is now DISABLED (ASLEEP)
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Successfully demoted thread 1364 of process 1356.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop NetworkManager[657]: <info>  [1777297355.0462] device (wlp58s0): state change: activated -> deactivating (reason 'sleeping', managed-type: 'full')
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Successfully demoted thread 1361 of process 1355.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Successfully demoted thread 1355 of process 1355.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop rtkit-daemon[873]: Demoted 7 threads.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service...
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop bitwarden-desktop[1680]: 17:42:35.079 › [SignalR] Connection disconnected with error 'Error: WebSocket closed with status code: 1006 (no reason given).'.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop nm-dispatcher[30111]: [2026-04-27T13:42:35Z INFO  gpclient::cli] gpclient started: 2.5.1 (2026-01-12)
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop geoclue[1359]: Failed to query location: Query location SOUP error: Unknown Error
Apr 27 17:42:35 9a3eedi-laptop geoclue[1359]: Failed to query location: Query location SOUP error: Unknown Error
Apr 27 17:42:38 9a3eedi-laptop kernel: wlp58s0: deauthenticating from ac:9e:17:7e:46:4c by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd-logind[664]: Delay lock is active (UID 0/root, PID 657/NetworkManager) but inhibitor timeout is reached.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: Starting System Suspend then Hibernate...
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: session-4.scope: Unit now frozen-by-parent.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: session-2.scope: Unit now frozen-by-parent.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: user.slice: Unit now frozen.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: user-1000.slice: Unit now frozen-by-parent.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd-sleep[30164]: Successfully froze unit 'user.slice'.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd[1]: user@1000.service: Unit now frozen-by-parent.
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop systemd-sleep[30164]: Performing sleep operation 'suspend'...
Apr 27 17:42:40 9a3eedi-laptop kernel: PM: suspend entry (s2idle)

Here, i can’t quite see anything out of the ordinary. but the power LED never switched off, and I could not wake it up from suspend

If that’s the end of the log, it does appear to have gone to sleep or at least thought it did. Why it won’t wake from sleep I presume is a hardware or kernel issue on your particular hardware. I’d recommend running through Power management/Suspend and hibernate - ArchWiki to 1. identify what your hardware is capable of. 2. Potentially try a different mode. 3. Run through the troubleshooting at the end.

Before you do that though, I’d recommend installing and trying a newer kernel. 6.18 LTS perhaps. You can have multiple kernels installed at the same time and switch between them if you run into issues with one.

2 Likes

The thing is, it was working perfectly fine before this last stable update. I’ve run the same installation of Manjaro for around 3 years now on this laptop. I haven’t changed the kernel (hence why I’m using 6.6 LTS, to avoid problems like these), so I don’t think it’s the kernel.. and I don’t think the issue is in my hardware, it’s too much of a coincidence.

If anything, I get the feeling that the culprit is systemd. There was a time in the past where a systemd update broke suspend for me, and I think it eventually got resolved after a later update so maybe the same thing is happening again. Will wait for the next stable update for now.

1 Like

So you’re running new software on an old kernel. They work together! New software, drivers, etc will get re-written to make use of new, better, kernel features and bug fixes. Running an old kernel is just as likely to get you problems as running a bleeding edge less tested kernel.

Just TRY a newer kernel; you literally have nothing to lose and if it doesn’t work reboot and select the old one. But I bet it’ll work fine.

5 Likes

While software does work with the kernel together, there’s an old rule with the kernel that they should not break userspace in newer updates, so they put efforts to keep things compatibility. It’s only been 3 years since 6.6 came out. I don’t think kernel releases get outdated that quickly. In my experience, newer things tend to introduce new bugs, so better not fix something that is not broken… I also dont really need the newer features introduced by newer kernels.. so thats why i prefer to stick to one stable LTS version. I say this while being fully aware that I’m running a rolling release distro :smile:

However, you are right, I should at least try a new kernel. So I installed 6.18 and running it now, let’s see how that goes.

EDIT: I went through around 3 power cycles or more with the new kernel just to make sure, and the problem seems to have been fixed! thank you for the tip @bananamangodog !!!

3 Likes

I do not think your problem is the kernel, but it is so easy and harmless to test it will jbe ust stupid not to, even if the chance of succes is under 1%.

As for userspace…i think the rule is more like “Linus Torvalds will beat you to a pulp if he catches you breaking userspace”. At the current size and complexity of the kernel it won’t be impossible that something slips undetected. Especially now since he allowed using AI…

3 Likes

Is the ‘CopyFail’ workaround supposed to be two lines or one? Asking because the sample code in the notes is weirdly indented in the second line or commented out in the [Testing Update] 2026-05-01 issues section. Moreover it’s missing the ‘sudo’ in both lines or am I wrong? Shouldn’t it be:

sudo echo "install algif_aead /bin/false" > /etc/modprobe.d/disable-algif.conf
sudo rmmod algif_aead 2>/dev/null || true

EDIT

One other thing. I just checked lsmod on my GNOME stable install and don’t seem to run this algif_aead kernel module. Does that mean I’m not affected by this ‘CopyFail’ issue?

Two lines

Number sign - Wikipedia

In Unix shells, # is placed by convention at the end of a command prompt to denote that the user is working as root

[nik@gnomic ~]$ sudo su
[sudo] password for nik: 
[gnomic nik]# exit
exit
[nik@gnomic ~]$
2 Likes

I’m embarrassed to admit but I knew that. When I glanced over the code in the Testing update, it never crossed my mind to mean ‘root’ in this context. I guess I was in config file mode and my brain processed it as ‘commented out’.

The workaround posted in here seems to be copied from the CERT-EU site though and is missing the hint for root requirement. Might be a good idea to fix that before other users complain about echo throwing an error.

1 Like