[Stable Update] 2024-05-29 - Kernels, Plasma 6.0.5, GNOME 46.2, Mesa

On Plasma KDE bright widget works on first display (and don`t change bright on second display)
Bug occur after last update

1 Like

My 2 cents in addition to Teo:
Always compare the pacnew with the original file before overwriting (like you did with meld).
Last time passwd file got a pacnew file → only the changed row was present in the pacnew file:

2 Likes

Initial Issues

1. System Update Issues:

• Encountered errors during today’s system update, specifically related to ICU library conflicts.
    • Attempted to update and upgrade the system but faced dependency issues with packages like electron22.
  2. Failed Boot:

• Post-update, the system failed to boot, dropping into the BIOS/UEFI setup instead.
    • Attempts to manually boot from GRUB command line also failed.
  3. GRUB Errors:

• After reinstalling GRUB, encountered errors such as “sparse file not allowed” and “symbol grub_is_shim_lock_enabled not found.”

Steps Taken

1. Chroot into the System:

• Booted from a live USB.
    • Mounted the root and EFI partitions.
    • Chrooted into the installed system.
  2. Reinstall GRUB:

• Removed existing GRUB files.
    • Reinstalled GRUB with the --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB --no-nvram --recheck options.
    • Generated a new GRUB configuration file.
  3. BIOS/UEFI Checks:

• Ensured that the NVMe drive is set as the first boot priority.
    • Confirmed that the system is set to boot in UEFI mode, not Legacy.
    • Verified that Secure Boot is disabled.
  4. Additional Verification:

• Verified that grubx64.efi exists in the EFI directory.
    • Checked boot entries using efibootmgr -v.
  5. Current Status

• Encountered GRUB errors such as “sparse file not allowed” and “symbol grub_is_shim_lock_enabled not found.” before booting into GRUB. Does not boot out of it.

→ GRUB is installed but displays errors when attempting to boot.

If anyone has additional insights or alternative steps to resolve the GRUB boot issues, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you for reading.

@Cytomax Please do not spam the update topic with your aur problems, preferably do not spam here at all. This is aur, your profile says stable…it is double unsupported.
@LilSaint
About the electron and icu problems - they are caused by obsolete aur packages that you have to delete.
About grub - are you sure secure boot is disabled? I do not have any other idea.

1 Like

I had a few small problems when updating:

After that i was able to reinstall franz :slight_smile:
:footprints:

1 Like

Does widget Advanced Radio Player work for you? It restarts/crashes Plasma session here upon trying to play.

I think the version of the Firefox package should be 126.0.1, not 126.0

It already is…:wink:

1 Like

Updated today and all went well. Although there is a small issue that occurred when I dealt with the mkinitcpio pacnew (the first time I’ve ever merged the HOOKS for this)

When I both boot my system and shut down, I get a fsck message telling me my drive is clean and has no issues. Nothing freezes or hangs so it doesn’t appear to be a real problem, but it is slightly annoying to see every boot and shut down.

The only new hook I added to my conf file that I remembered was “microcode” but I think there were at least 2 others and I’m not sure if the fsck hook was always there or one of the new ones that just got added. If so, can I just remove it?

Again, it’s not a real issue, just a minor annoyance so I can just live with it if needed.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ve been getting that message every boot for some time … I actually find it reassuring. (N.B. I don’t usually reboot unless I’ve done upgrades, or the WiFi card drops off the cliff … it’s seen better days, need to replace it).

Just deleted electron25 as there were no dependencies and was able to proceed with update.

1 Like

Indeed. For reference and posterity:

A post was split to a new topic: Why do packages have such weird versions?

I updated through tty4 using yay, after the update, I typed reboot in the tty4 without closing the tty2
Now I am getting flooded with the error:

tasks_rcu_exit_srcu_stall: rcu_tasks grace period number 41 (since boot) gp_state: RTGS_POST_SCAN_TASKLIST is 424162 jiffies old
Please check any exiting tasks stuck between calls to exit_tasks_rcu_start() and exit_tasks_rcu_finished()

I tried reiusb to kill all signals and reboot but didn’t work

Any suggestions on how I can reboot?

I mean in the “Notable Package Updates” above.

Is SysRq enabled? (cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq)
If not, just do 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq to enable it.

Its always been there unless hidden by something or other.

If you have disabled plymouth but are interested in not seeing text during boot then check Silent Boot

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Silent_boot#

1 Like

How to resolve this:

:: Replace dbus-python with extra/python-dbus? [Y/n] Yes or No
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency ‘libicuuc.so=74-64’ required by qt5-webkit
:: installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency ‘libicui18n.so=74-64’ required by qt5-webkit
→ error installing repo packages

Thank you.

1 Like

Not exactly.

I checked my Timeshift that was made before the update today and got to see my mkinitcpio conf before I merged the new pacnew into it. The fsck hook was not present before today (yes I would just delete any pacnews for this file when they came up)

I was scared of making changes to a conf file and figured that because it was working just fine, I did not need any changes to it. After doing research on what the hook does, I have probably gotten lucky that nothing has broken from power outages or for times when I was forced to hard reset my system.

The extra around 5 seconds combined during both boot and shut down are something I can live with if it’ll save me a potential headache down the road if my power goes out randomly!

1 Like

Scroll up…

It’s already mentioned in this thread. Here’s a similar but related thread; use the same methodology to solve the issue:

Cheers.

2 Likes