[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

I dont know why you needed to go searching. The link was already provided to you.

It just sources the packagelists from the manjaro gitlab.
Then feeds them to pacman.
Every package is downloaded from the repositories using the package manager and is a package that comes by default in the ISO.

The point is to make sure you arent missing important packages … without having to manually comb through your entire list of installed software.

You can also use it to only print, making no action, as outlined at the project page.
(in fact it is the default example)

But anyhoo. It was intended to be helpful. I have no interest in trying to convince anyone to use anything.

I see no such thing. only the usual system tray setting. right click system tray, select configure system tray, go to entries panel, find the clipboard and change setting from “shown when relevant” to “always shown” so the clipboard icon stays even when clipboard is empty.

I’ve installed the new release from scratch, so pipewire-pulse was already ok, but I’m facing exactly the same issue with gnome. But only if I use nvidia proprietary drivers, while with nouveau everything is ok.

Are you sure it was the pipewire/pulseaudio transition that was crashing your system?

Hello. I have a problem with the trash icon on my desktop. I once added a trash icon to my desktop by creating a file ‘trash.desktop’ in desktop directory:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Cart
Comment=Contains removed files
Icon=user-trash-full
EmptyIcon=user-trash
Type=Link
URL=trash:/
OnlyShowIn=KDE;

Now if the trash isn’t empty, when I call the “empty trash” option from the context menu, the trash is emptied. BUT. The icon disappears from the desktop. If I go to the desktop directory (~/desktop), the trash.desktop file is present. By renaming it to trash1.desktop, the icon appears on the desktop again. However, adding a new file to the trash, it disappears again. It’s as if the icon disappears from the desktop when changing the icon from empty to full and back again.

I have Manjaro KDE with the latest update. Kernel 6.9.0-1-MANJARO

upd: seems like it’s plasma bug after recent update 485771 – (.desktop, Desktop, disappearing, gone, icon, plasmashell, shortcut, Trash) Desktop icons disappear after icon update (including the trash icon)

1 Like

I dont know why you would do that instead of just drag+drop the icon onto the desktop to create a link.

In case you cant or wont do that for some reason, I did it and the file it created was this:

[Desktop Entry]
EmptyIcon=user-trash
Icon=user-trash-full
Name=Trash
Type=Link
URL[$e]=trash:/

Which seems almost identical, aside from the OnlyShowIn and the Name.

Remember to refresh the desktop, use up to date icon themes, etc.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE#Configuration_related

Had issues launching OBS. Does not launch. Also experience constant Telegram (native) crashes. Reverted to previous state with Timeshift.

same here

Hi, I’ve tried install update on second laptop, which is basically in default settings. It uses KDE and has old nvidia card with nouveau. Update was successful I guess, but I have problem so far with “system-monitor”. When opened, it’s window flickers and has black spots, after few second computer totally freeze. I have tried both X11 and Wayland, also I have tried kernel 6.6, 6.8., 6.9. Problems occurs on all combinations. Also I have tried reinstall system-monitor. Another problem is, when computer load graphics, it occasionally shows graphic glitches.

1 Like

huh, so it’s not me facing this issue. In my case I have both intel and nvidia machines, but it seems to happen more often on nvidia. I also feel it has something to do with KDE Connect because it always seems to happen after I get a phone call, but I’m not really sure.

(note: I havent updated yet… was hoping plasma 6 would solve this issue but apparently not)

I am willing to give the update a try, so long that I can go back with timeshift in case things go wrong

But as far as I know, timeshift does not take snapshots of my home directory, and thats where all the config files for plasma go…

So is this a good idea? to depend on timeshift in case things go wrong? Has anyone tried this and did it work well?

I you have /home on different path, you are OK. Also I think you can Timeshift set to take snapshot of your home also.

My first “fix” wasn’t after all correct. The answer seems to be that you have to add a rule “ignore requested geometry” and set it to “Force”. So far this seems to be working.

2 Likes

To the excuse of the programmers, I must admit: I have programmed, too.
And everything works fine from the beginning.

Some leftovers had to be removed manually, most notably krunner5 and plasma-framework5, among others, otherwise everything went fine.

Great work :clap:

Yes, I can confirm that. :wink:

I switched fonts from Hack to Hack Nerd and got the little icons back.

1 Like

Update done , everything went fine, I’m glad to use Plasma 6 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finally bit the bullet today and did my update. Using the TTY was far less painful than I thought it’d be and the update appears to have gone off without a hitch!

Aside from my desktop icons shifting around when I made all of my theme settings default and the fact that I dislike the floating task bar (and can’t figure out how to make it just remain anchored) which I’ll probably get used to eventually. This was very smooth!

3 Likes

looks not “rc” anymore…

uname -a
Linux Zen 6.9.0-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon May 13 07:01:28 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

anyway … with this kernel I get this:

[    0.835076] zswap: compressor lz4 not available, using default zstd
[    0.841054] zswap: loaded using pool zstd/z3fold

it works with zstd, but just… lz4 is supposed to be better, no? (and worked before with 6.8)

Well i just did the update on my AMD CPU/GPU Laptop with Manjaro/KDE, almost everything is working flawlessly, besides some unsharp fonts from shortcuts on desktop and light distorted fonts inside “system settings” menue . If this are the only problems, then i hope its the same for my Intel/nvidia PC.

All what i did was (Timeshift snapshot, just in case):
1.Fresh start
2.Log out
3.crtl+alt+f3 to open TTY
4.sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack
5.sudo systemctl stop sddm
6.sudo pacman -Syu
and spammed Y to replace everything
7.reboot

Im NOT even deleted ./cache or reseted ./config stuff, on my 4year’s old home user account. I’m not even switched any of my Theme to default, that i downloaded from the KDE Store, everything is still customised, only a few icon’s (~1%) are missing. (I’m not using Virtual Desktop or Widgets btw. maybe there are problems? idk)

My Global Theme “Layout” just disappeared (or was deleted, while i updated?), while i still had tranparency/blur effects for my Taskbar/Terminal as before with KDE Plasma 5, so it must be active :man_shrugging:

Edit: My AMD Laptop had performance issue with X11, switch to Wayland in the Login Menue and after that my Window Dragging was smooth again. My Intel/nvidia PC is running fine with the new Plasma6 Update under X11 and gaming working pretty damn good, i love this update, thank you @philm and the other Maintainer’s. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yeah i had to put my desktop icons/shortcuts at the old spotts again.

I fixed the floating taskbar with rightclick on the Taskbar and “Enter Edit Mode” and clicked on the “Floating” switch. DONE

5 Likes

Thank you very much. Clicking on that fixed the annoyance!