[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

There is not really a “24.0 update” for running systems.
Manjaro is a rolling release.
Those numbers are for ISO’s.
As long as your mirror is synced you will get all the updates at the same time whenever you … do your updates.

I very much need it for building FreeCAD (citation: Compile on Linux - FreeCAD Documentation) and I would appreciate your not responding with uninformed speculation about what others “actually need”.

For anyone having the same problem with this update, these were my steps to resolve it:

• After I uninstalled shiboken2, pacman -Syu was able to download and complete normally, and it reboots normally after that.

• Now trying to run FreeCAD causes errors about missing libraries, so it needs to be rebuilt. As an experiment, I tried rebuilding FreeCAD without shiboken2. FreeCAD built properly but on running it, it gave some 6 to 8 errors about missing PySide2 functions and could not open my CAD files, so you can save some 20 minutes by not attempting this step. Instead, after rebooting, go to the next step directly.

• Reinstalling shiboken2 is possible after the update because its recipe too has been upgraded to require Clang 17. I used the Pamac GUI for this. It takes a very long time (35 minutes) to build it along with pyside2; ironically, it uses GCC while building and not Clang, which had been the reason for this whole adventure. But when finally built, FreeCAD can be built and run properly.

2 Likes

I noticed freecad-git 0.22.0.36999.ged77603af9-1 in the AUR which now requires the updated shiboken6, if this is of any interest to you. Cheers.

Does the qualifier ‘highly unlikely’ not count for anything?

Of course if you are in the 0.01 percent of people who have an actual dependency for it … then you would need it.

Of course what packages you actually need can only be determined by you.

I believe I even said so here in this thread.

Theres no need to get excited.

Though you may find that the only hard dependency for shiboken2 currently is freecad-linkstage3-bin (also in the AUR) and nothing else.

I see high cpu usage when screen is locked, seems to be a kwin bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=484323

1 Like

I take it you are referring to gwenview. Make sure you have kimageformats installed.

Yes, but it’s not — as @jaramo thinks — because I’ve got more experience as a GNU/Linux user. It’s because I’ve got four years of experience here at the forum, and another year before that on the previous iteration of the forum.

With every Stable Update, it’s the same old song all over: people starting a myriad of threads about the same thing, which was then already pointed out on the Stable Updates announcement thread before they updated their system, and the fact that they’re all posting about the same things illustrates that, not only did they not look at the Announcements thread, but they also never bothered to search the forum for similar threads.

The problem is with the laziness and self-centered attitude of the people themselves. And it does get tiresome having to explain the same thing over and over and over again, and with each and every Stable Update.

:point_right: Pacnew & Pacsave files - Manjaro Wiki

pacdiff -o

You may need to install pacman-contrib from the repo first before you can use that command.

4 Likes

Ok so here’s how I sroped the pipewire nagging messages that froze my desktop :

sudo pacman -S pipewire-pulse
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service
systemctl --user --now enable pipewire pipewire-pulse

Note : there are some packages that are going to be removed

pulseaudio

and

pulseaudio-bluetooth

A reboot after that to make sure all is good.

I’m really loving plasma6 by the way :heart_eyes:

1 Like

pipewire is used by default now.
If you want to switch to it you need only use the metapackage.

sudo pacman -Syu manjaro-pipewire

I’ve tried that but it didn’t work for me.

Without examples we can only wonder.
In most scenarios only installing the metapackage will do all thats needed including replacing packages and services etc.
I suspect it would not fail to do so for you - but possibly the exchange was blocked by something else like an unsupported package.

1 Like

After this update I also updated the kernel to 6.9 from 6.7. This broke the boot splash and now it gets stuck on loading so I had to remove the splash command from grub script thingy.

1 Like

Just posting here in case you run into someone with the same issue, I know it wont be found in this long long thread.
I did have kvantum-qt5 installed. I was able to fix what I found wrong. In VLC there is an option in the interface page of the settings to force window style. you can set it to “qt5ct-style”. Same in Qterminal, in the Appearance you can set the widget style to “qt5ct-style”. QBittorrent was my own stupidity, I was using an old AUR package (unsupported, I know), and switched it to the one in the repo and it followed the kvantum theme.

2 Likes

Both commands resulted in:

==> ERROR: Cannot find the vim -d binary required for viewing differences.

but I tried what @Aragorn said:

and got this:

/etc/passwd.pacnew
/etc/shells.pacnew
/etc/pam.d/kde.pacnew
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
/etc/pacman.conf.pacnew

You can install manjaro-pacnew-checker from the repository. It’ll help you handle the .pacnew files.

Thanks i’ll try that, but my initial issue is that I cannot access the TTY, whenever I try to, it just goes to a blank screen (no text, login prompt or anything) and this happened even before I did the update but I don’t know how long its been like that, it used to work before… all I can do is control+alt+F2 to go back to the GUI again…

Will managing the .pacnew files with manjaro-pacnew-checker help solve this problem?

Edit: sorry I re-posted this to show as a reply, i’m kind of still new in the forums

I do not know, but mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew might be relevant, as it does contain some important changes.

For that matter, you can run the manjaro-pacnew-checker utility from a terminal window, or even from the application launcher — it’s GUI-based.

If you’re replying directly to only one person and you’re quoting their whole post, then Discourse — the forum engine we use — will remove the quoted section. Don’t worry about it. :wink:

Erm… I copy pasted manjaro-pacnew-checker in the terminal but it says bash: manjaro-pacnew-checker: command not found even after installing it (from pamac GUI)… I can’t find it in the application menu either, there is no entry with that name? :sweat_smile:

Discourse seems like a pretty cool engine though… It’s got nice editing features for quoting replies and stuff…

The executable is called pacnew-checker. :wink:

1 Like

Sometimes, you might need to wait for the prompt to show; it could only be a few seconds, or even up to 30 seconds on some machines; potentially longer on some VM’s.

I would test that to see if it may be the case on your machine, before completely writing it off as not working.

1 Like

Ah um… yes… ofc… *ehem* using the right executable in the first place would definitely help… :sweat_smile: (but how was I supposed to know that? :person_shrugging:)

Ok so now it’s asking me for each of:

/etc/passwd.pacnew
/etc/shells.pacnew
/etc/pam.d/kde.pacnew
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
/etc/pacman.conf.pacnew

If I want to:

1. View and merge
  2. Keep the original and remove the pacnew file
  3. Replace the original with the pacnew file
  4. Do nothing
  5. Ask Aragorn for help (ok maybe I made this one up but it was implicitly implied :innocent:)

Hello Thunder :wave:

Yeah I thought about that too, so I switched to a TTY and went to brush my teeth and came back…

Results: Shiny teeth :grin: but still a black screen… :cry:

1 Like