[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

I have two (possibly related?) issues that seem to have cropped up with the new update.

1. The new kernel somehow bricks my ethernet port, rolling back to 6.8 fixes it. Not sure if this is a Manjaro issue or a kernel issue.
  2. The kernel management GUI application seems to have entirely disappeared from my system, and I haven’t been able to figure out if that has to do with problem #1 or not. I’m still able to handle it from the command line just fine, so it seems the main app is working fine, but the GUI app is gone and I’m not sure if that’s intentional.

EDIT:

I have found solutions to both issues (in reverse order) -

1. As @cscs pointed out, the GUI application for kernel management is no longer searchable via the “Start” menu, nor is it available in the main System Settings, application, it resides exclusively in the Manjaro Settings Manager.
  2. The linux69-r8168 kernel module was somehow not included in the update, bricking my Ethernet connection. Rolling back the kernel version, installing this kernel module manually, and then rebooting with the new kernel solves the issue.

Did you try rebooting?
And does this error happens after running the command from

By the way, about your error message quote, you have to select the text before pressing Ctrl+e.

It really astounds me this is a recurring topic.
(though I suppose to be fair it doesnt pop up from, ex, searching ‘kernel’ in kickoff)
Manjaro Settings Manager is the place for those things.
Its the GUI frontend for mhwd and mwd-kernel etc.
Somewhat recently, and until the plasma 6 update, a ‘kcm’ was added for the kernel part.
KCM’s are like plugins for systemsettings in plasma.
Well with plasma 6, systemsettings is changed, and so the MSM kcm is not present.
Just open Manjaro Settings Manager like every other desktop does.

Thanks for the advice. Curious though: What is so bad about optimus-manager? So far it has worked fine for me

It would take a lot more typing than I am willing.

Pretty much its poorly coded, requires extra hacky workarounds (like augmenting your DIsplay Manager, as already noted), and there are quite simply superior alternatives.

I personally dont see much use for those utilities in general outside of rather specific setups.

But if you really need one … no reason to use the worst version.

These tools are better and in the repos:

1 Like

I don’t quite understand what that exactly means. If I use linux61, do I must switch to linux66 or something, or this information for me to actually ignore the linux-firmware update? Or I can do nothing?

p.s. my info command tells I am currently at 20240220.97b693d2-1 version

That’s great, thanks for the info. Will check it out!

I’m now finding that Krusader lost its ability to use protocols like SMB. I do have the required kio-extras installed. It looks like through a web of dependencies kio5 and kio5-extras are still being required so both the newer kio/kio-extras and kio5/kio5-extras are installed.
Krusader is 2.8.1-1.

I’ve removed it, it’s not applicable to the stable branch.

Then you’re not up to date. The current version is 20240409.1addd7dc-1.1 with fixes for the testing and stable branches.

1 Like

Everything went well.

I was able to update in a term in a gnome session without any problem.

Gnome Boxes was not working before (unable to install on virtual disk), now, it is, yeah!
I could install Manjaro kde 23.1 and upgrade it to 24. No problem with this fresh installed system in Boxes.

Thanks and continue this good work! :wink:

I’m also at version 20240220.97b693d2-1 and on linux61 since my fresh install in Feburary of last year. I’ve always applied all updates up to this point (meaning pre 24.0) but ‘linux-firmware’ doesn’t seem to have been updated.

What’s the next step then? Will ‘linux-firmware’ be updated to version 20240409.1addd7dc-1.1 when running the 24.0 update or is some intervention needed before that?

1 Like

Make sure you’re fully up to date, I updated it almost 24 hours ago.

2 Likes

I see 20240409.1addd7dc-1.1 being listed as an update in the Pamac Updates indicator. So do I get it right that it will be updated with 24.0 then (which I haven’t done yet)?

linux-firmware 20240220.97b693d2-1 -> 20240409.1addd7dc-1.1
1 Like

Sice the update I find the package microsoft-office-web-jak installed under foreign packages.
I can`t remember installing it and it is also not in AUR…
What is this package for? Do I still need it?

That was dropped from the repos along with web-installer-url-handler and python-manjaro-sdk. Remove them as they’re no longer required by anything.

1 Like

There is not really a “24.0 update” for running systems.
Manjaro is a rolling release.
Those numbers are for ISO’s.
As long as your mirror is synced you will get all the updates at the same time whenever you … do your updates.

I very much need it for building FreeCAD (citation: Compile on Linux - FreeCAD Documentation) and I would appreciate your not responding with uninformed speculation about what others “actually need”.

For anyone having the same problem with this update, these were my steps to resolve it:

• After I uninstalled shiboken2, pacman -Syu was able to download and complete normally, and it reboots normally after that.

• Now trying to run FreeCAD causes errors about missing libraries, so it needs to be rebuilt. As an experiment, I tried rebuilding FreeCAD without shiboken2. FreeCAD built properly but on running it, it gave some 6 to 8 errors about missing PySide2 functions and could not open my CAD files, so you can save some 20 minutes by not attempting this step. Instead, after rebooting, go to the next step directly.

• Reinstalling shiboken2 is possible after the update because its recipe too has been upgraded to require Clang 17. I used the Pamac GUI for this. It takes a very long time (35 minutes) to build it along with pyside2; ironically, it uses GCC while building and not Clang, which had been the reason for this whole adventure. But when finally built, FreeCAD can be built and run properly.

2 Likes

I noticed freecad-git 0.22.0.36999.ged77603af9-1 in the AUR which now requires the updated shiboken6, if this is of any interest to you. Cheers.

Does the qualifier ‘highly unlikely’ not count for anything?

Of course if you are in the 0.01 percent of people who have an actual dependency for it … then you would need it.

Of course what packages you actually need can only be determined by you.

I believe I even said so here in this thread.

Theres no need to get excited.

Though you may find that the only hard dependency for shiboken2 currently is freecad-linkstage3-bin (also in the AUR) and nothing else.

I see high cpu usage when screen is locked, seems to be a kwin bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=484323

1 Like