[Stable Update] 2024-01-13 - Kernels, Systemd, Qt5, Mesa, Dbus, Firefox, Thunderbird

correct, as we are working on this issue: Mkinitcpio update 37.2-1 break the System

2 Likes

Strictly speaking, that’s not true. The /boot directory and the EFI partition are both only accessed by maintenance utilities such as grub-install, update-grub and mkinitcpio.

The system itself does not access either /boot or /boot/efi during the boot process.

• In the event of a legacy BIOS boot, the BIOS reads the MBR, which loads the first stage of GRUB, and GRUB itself will then either read the raw blocks of the /boot partition (on MSDOS-style partitioned drives) or of the unformatted bios_grub partition (on GPT-style partitioned drives) in order to load its intermediary stage. This intermediary stage then contains a filesystem driver and will then mount the /boot partition as its own root partition. Upon manually or automatically choosing a GRUB menu entry, the compressed kernel image and the initramfs are read into RAM and decompressed. From that point onward, /boot is no longer being accessed by the system.

• In the event of a native UEFI boot, the UEFI reads the chosen or default EFI executable into RAM and executes it. The UEFI-native version of GRUB installs such an executable in the EFI system partition — both in /boot/efi/EFI/boot and in /boot/efi/EFI/manjaro — and from there on, GRUB will, by way of a filesystem driver, mount /boot as its own root filesystem and load the (chosen or default) compressed kernel image and the initramfs into memory. Once again, as soon as the kernel image is decompressed and begins booting, it no longer accesses either the ESP or the /boot directory.

2 Likes

For 2. VNC output only 4:3 and cut off:

Uninstalling Krfb, deleting the config file (/home/user/.config/krfbc) and reinstalling the package solved this issue…

Still no clue about the Steam display issue though.

The error just vanished 20min ago, before it also appeares on my my second device.
Maybe it was a server issue.

I also think it was mainly related to AUR.

Thanks anyways.

I always do, so I can see there the fails pop up, I remove quiet and splash…good luck

1 Like

Hey, I have mkinitcpo 37.2-1 installed. And my system boots.
Just a silly question I know → should I downgrade just to be save?
Or should I don’t touch something which seems to be fine :smiley:

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I have found my answer:

1 Like

That was always likely. Though I since found Failed to synchronize AUR database (albeit a year old) which might have been related.

As if by magic!

Exactly, its also not the first time i had saw this error.

i ended up keeping it,update went fine.

Your use of “original” is confusing.

My suggestion: “Original” file is the one in the old package version. The “current” file is the original modified by the user or some util. The pacnew is then… well the file in the new package version.

The Steam client had an update yesterday.
Since that the display issue is also gone.

Only to you, it seems. In context, the original is that which is to be modified; the file in situ; and the new file – the .pacnew – contains the new information.

You could think of that

• old original file → The default file that would exist if it was current and never changed by the user.
  • local file → The file that was on this PC immediately before the update
  • suggested file → This is the suggestion to switch to after its changes have been reviewed

I don’t mean to say that my suggestions are the best. Choosing good names can help prevent misunderstandings. :footprints:

1 Like

After applying this update, xfwm4 freezes a minute after logging in and starting Firefox. If I’m lucky, I can login in with Ctrl-Alt-F2 and run pkill -9 xfwm4 and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get an unfrozen terminal. Sometimes I am not lucky and the system freezes and requires a hard power cycle.

Can you help me localize this behavior? I am not sure what commands to run to test this.

I’ve now updated mkinitcpio to 37.2-1.6, which fixes the extramodules situation and also kms hook for kernels older than 5.17.

2 Likes

Did anyone update mkinitcpio to 37.2-1.6? On 2024-01-16 I received an update to 37.1-4 and has worked fine.

EDIT: I installed it, rebooted, and everything is ok.

1 Like

Yeah I noticed sleep, in my case, auto hybrid-sleep, issues with KDE (no more display output after waking up) before this update so I hope the issue will be wiped after this update.

@philm @Yochanan do you have any tips for me to fix the problem? i still can’t install the update :confused:
Thanks in advance

Please create a Support topic if you need further assistance.

was this fix already?

I updated to mkinitcpio 37.2-1.6 and the next day my pc wouldn’t pass the boot screen so I had to downgrade it

is it safe to update again?