[Testing Update] 2024-01-11 - Kernels, Mesa, Dbus, Firefox, Thunderbird

smooth.

It’s not really a problem.
except Package Details: vivaldi-snapshot-ffmpeg-codecs.aur.

Smooth. Reboot and cold boot back to being smooth.

“You will be asked by your package manager whether to install dbus-broker-units or dbus-daemon-units.” This pop-up was empty (no options, all 3 computers I installed this update on), I just clicked Enter, that apparently installed dbus-broker-units which I’ll assume is the default.

1 Like

Kernel 6.7.0 - No WiFi, no reboot (still black screen).
Kernel 6.6.10 - Yes WiFi, no reboot (still black screen).
My CPU - Intel
My GPU - AMD

Do you have Plymouth installed?

Yes, Plymouth is installed. I did not do anything to it, just installed the update.

Hi @Alex24 ,

Downgrade plymouth with pacman -Syuu as @philm suggest it in the first post and You’ll be good :wink:

Wish You well

That should be:

1 Like

Thanks! Downgrading Plymouth helped. But it’s not a solution, just a temporary workout.

Disable it by removing splash from /etc/default/grub followed by update-grub to see if that solves the issue with shutdown.

1 Like

I’m starting now to do a soft migration to more plymouth Arch based way on how plymouth gets installed. This is the first installment on that: [pkg-upd] 22.02.122-16.2 (d992a274) · Commits · Packages / Community / Plymouth · GitLab

@2old4gaming and @Alex24 would be interesting to know if anything breaks.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the fast update!

At first, I thought everything went smoothly. But I now realized, that at Kernel 6.7.0 (not 6.6.x) I am not able to suspend on Manjaro Gnome with my Ideapad (Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 14ARH7 (AMD)). The screen turns black and the computer is unresponsive, only a forced shutdown via the power button works then. Is that something I should report to kernel.org?

@zar0nick first you have to check if the issue is with plymouth on your end. See https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/plymouth/plymouth/-/issues/218. You can test a newer plymouth from unstable: [pkg-upd] 24.004.60-3.1 (1e2e41b5) · Commits · Packages / Community / Plymouth · GitLab

@philm thanks for the fast reply! I did not use plymouth-encrypt before, so I shouldn’t be affected by the issue afaik. Or do I mix things up? However, I can test the package, but the build hook failed on gitlab - just to let you know:)

Updated. Nothing broken (cold boot or reboot).

The previous best practice was to explicitly purge plymouth, even if installed on a whim, so why is plymouth being auto-installed at all all of a sudden?

Update of mkinitcpio (37.1-2 → 37.2-1) failed to find nvidia extramodules for kernel 6.1.71-1 and 6.6.10-1 when building images for ‘default’ and ‘fallback’:

ERROR: file not found: '/lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-uvm.ko.xz'
ERROR: file not found: '/lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-modeset.ko.xz'
ERROR: file not found: '/lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia.ko.xz'
ERROR: file not found: '/lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-drm.ko.xz'
xz: /tmp/mkinitcpio.VQ1GfP/root//lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-uvm.ko.xz: No such file or directory
xz: /tmp/mkinitcpio.VQ1GfP/root//lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-modeset.ko.xz: No such file or directory
xz: /tmp/mkinitcpio.VQ1GfP/root//lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia.ko.xz: No such file or directory
xz: /tmp/mkinitcpio.VQ1GfP/root//lib/modules/6.6.10-1-MANJARO/extramodules/nvidia-drm.ko.xz: No such file or directory
Generating module dependencies
Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-6.6-x86_64-fallback.img'
WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

and system was unable to boot - nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize

Installing nvidia-470xx-dkms to replace linux-nvidia470xx was able to run mkinitcpio without errors and get system boot working

:point_down:

Before anyone asks: If you have no issues with 37.2-1, then there’s nothing to do.

2 Likes

please follow and help testing: Mkinitcpio update 37.2-1 break the System

1 Like

I had to remove dbus-x11 package left from old bspwm setup. I also had to edit ~/.xinitrc to get rid of exec dbus-launch... command and use just exec... to start my WM.

After that all works OK.