[Stable Update] 2023-11-21 - Systemd, Gamescope-Plus, KDE Frameworks, Wine, Pipewire, Thunderbird

I have the same problem, but after about 1-2 minute the screen goes black and only the mouse pointer is visible.

Arch wiki says:

If these messages appear when generating a default initramfs image, then, as the warning says, installing additional firmware may be required.

Otherwise, if the messages only appear when generating the fallback initramfs image you have the following options:

• You can safely ignore the warnings, if you know that you do not use the affected hardware.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/mkinitcpio#Possibly_missing_firmware_for_module_XXXX

:footprints:

I’m updating still from the last stable with GNOME44, cause all the stable updates with GNOME45 break graphics acceleration for me.

It’s the same as I wrote in [Stable Update] 2023-11-13 - Kernels, KDE Gear, LibreOffice, LXQt, Pipewire, Phosh, Firefox, Thunderbird

So I’m again back to stable 2023-10-13 :frowning:
Help & hints will be appreciated.

2 Likes

After leaving it for a few minutes, I get a generic login screen. Once I login, it’s back to the boot logo screen and hangs there forever. I’m able to get to the console (tty3) but I can’t startx from there either.
If anyone knows where to go from here, your help is appreciated.

Cheers
AT

1 Like

I think this is a discussion that needs to be led but maybe not the right place for it as it confuses people. Maybe outsource to an new hoek, I mean thread? (After the necessary ideas to get rid of recurring warnings when updating or installing kernels, by Aragorn, then by Teo, after those posts or maybe even before). People are not always reading the whole thread I guess or things get lost in translation/interpreting words).

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Starts only in fallback mode

Thanks, I’m able to get to tty3. Still can’t boot :confused:

I’m running KDE Wayland and I saw that wayland-protocols was orphaned again so I removed it. After reboot, no ill effects that I can see at the moment.

Please let me know if it would be a good idea to explicitly install wayland-protocols again and I’ll do so. :smiley:

wayland-protocols is not a runtime dependency. That’s why it’s now an orphan. :wink:

2 Likes

Hm… I just updated firefox and I keep getting these errors for some reason:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                    146,8 KiB   677 KiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 extra                                                                     8,6 MiB  3,98 MiB/s 00:02 [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 multilib                                                                145,1 KiB   631 KiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) firefox-120.0-1

Total Download Size:    64,45 MiB
Total Installed Size:  223,79 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       -0,17 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 firefox-120.0-1-x86_64                                                   64,4 MiB  4,35 MiB/s 00:15 [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'firefox-120.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.kurdy.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                       [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                     [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                          [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                    [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                  [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Remove Firefox Distribution Settings
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) upgrading firefox                                                                              [------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/6) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/6) Copy Firefox Distribution Settings
(3/6) Updating icon theme caches...
(4/6) Checking for orphaned packages via hook...
=> No orphans found.
(5/6) Checking which packages need to be rebuilt
(6/6) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

Any news? I still can’t boot, tty3 only, but someone has been helping me diagnose the issue here. Maybe follow along and paste your results to see if there’s a pattern?

What do you mean? Did you attempt a partial upgrade? If so … that is unsupported.
Please include your actual input commands along with their outputs.
(and probably start your own thread)

Hi @CarlLaFong

Be carreful if You use Wayland because if You remove wayland-protocols You couldn’t use Wayland but only X11/Xorg. It’s visible on the GDM login screen on Gnome.

Wish You well

The mirror is faulty. That file is listed but it’s not possible to download it. Change to another mirror.

1 Like

Update fails: “unable to satisfy dependency ‘libpipewire=1:0.3.85-1’ required by pipewire”

I solved the failing login to plasma with help from Arch forum :smiley:
But I cannot post links yet. In short:

I’ve tracked down the json problem to ~/.local/share/mime/packages and ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache. For some reason putting either of these back into my home folder instantly breaks everything. I’m not, however, sure if this is the cause of all of my problems. It is a good start, though. I’m not seeing anything broken by that file and directory not being there so I’m just going to ignore that for now. I also managed to rebuild my mime.cache with “mkdir ~/.local/share/mime/packages && update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime”

Change the mirror and don’t post every little completely unrelated thing in the update thread.

Check that you have an up to date mirror. Change mirror if necessary and try again

System fully updated, without any issue.

If the previous posts are any example, surely I must be doing something wrong…

Content of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap encrypt openswap block filesystems fsck)

Active kernel:
Linux 6.1.62-1-MANJARO with encrypted partition

==> Creating lz4-compressed initcpio image: ‘/boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img’
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux61.preset: ‘default’
==> Using default configuration file: ‘/etc/mkinitcpio.conf’
→ -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64 -g /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img --microcode /boot/intel-ucode.img

It’s the “WARNING error” above that’s bothering me. I guess if I move from busybox to systemd hook then
I need to replace (base encrypt keymap consolefont udev encrypt ) with (systemd sd-vconsole sd-encrypt)?
Can someone please confirm.

1 Like