[Stable Update] 2023-11-21 - Systemd, Gamescope-Plus, KDE Frameworks, Wine, Pipewire, Thunderbird

Hi @CarlLaFong

Be carreful if You use Wayland because if You remove wayland-protocols You couldn’t use Wayland but only X11/Xorg. It’s visible on the GDM login screen on Gnome.

Wish You well

The mirror is faulty. That file is listed but it’s not possible to download it. Change to another mirror.

1 Like

Update fails: “unable to satisfy dependency ‘libpipewire=1:0.3.85-1’ required by pipewire”

I solved the failing login to plasma with help from Arch forum :smiley:
But I cannot post links yet. In short:

I’ve tracked down the json problem to ~/.local/share/mime/packages and ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache. For some reason putting either of these back into my home folder instantly breaks everything. I’m not, however, sure if this is the cause of all of my problems. It is a good start, though. I’m not seeing anything broken by that file and directory not being there so I’m just going to ignore that for now. I also managed to rebuild my mime.cache with “mkdir ~/.local/share/mime/packages && update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime”

Change the mirror and don’t post every little completely unrelated thing in the update thread.

Check that you have an up to date mirror. Change mirror if necessary and try again

System fully updated, without any issue.

If the previous posts are any example, surely I must be doing something wrong…

Content of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap encrypt openswap block filesystems fsck)

Active kernel:
Linux 6.1.62-1-MANJARO with encrypted partition

==> Creating lz4-compressed initcpio image: ‘/boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img’
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux61.preset: ‘default’
==> Using default configuration file: ‘/etc/mkinitcpio.conf’
→ -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64 -g /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img --microcode /boot/intel-ucode.img

It’s the “WARNING error” above that’s bothering me. I guess if I move from busybox to systemd hook then
I need to replace (base encrypt keymap consolefont udev encrypt ) with (systemd sd-vconsole sd-encrypt)?
Can someone please confirm.

1 Like

Nope, I never do that.

That would be it, thanks. I usually do this and so far never had any issues:

sudo pacman-mirrors --interactive --country Germany --api --protocol https;
sudo pacman-mirrors -f -g;

I will just uncheck manjaro.kurdy.org from now on. Not sure what’s happening over there.

Thank you for your note and concern. On KDE Wayland after removing wayland-protocols I was able to restart normally (logging in with sddm). I’m guessing the dependencies changed as the Wayland project has matured on KDE?

Best wishes to you too!

I’ve freshly installed Manjaro on my new PC back in February of this year but my HOOKS line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf still uses the double quotes. It looks like this:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap consolefont plymouth resume filesystems fsck"

Haven’t touched this config file even once but can’t find any .pacnew files either. That’s why I’m a little bit confused. Is February 2023 considered ‘ages ago’ or why is my mkinitcpio.conf still using the old format?

For a rolling release, yes, February could be considered ages agomkinitcpio.conf should be using the new format, however on my system also, I can confirm it isn’t; and I’ve seen no pacnew file relating to it. It looks like this one has fallen between the proverbial cracks.

3 Likes

After updating and rebooting the system, I entered my password and a circle appeared spinning indefinitely… Opening a console and using “top”, a process called “startplasma-x11” was using huge amounts of RAM and almost 100% of the CPU.
I needed to boot manjaro from a pen-drive, and using “TimeShift” I was able to restore the system to a previous state.

I recall seeing HOOKS=(...) syntax about 3 years ago with Manjaro 20.2 Nibia release.

Funny enough, I have one VM installed around Feb this year, and it still uses HOOKS="..." syntax.

I checked further and mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew from the previous [Stable Update] 2023-11-13 has the correct syntax.

e.g.

:man_facepalming: Proverbial cracks indeed :laughing:

@CyberOto this is just the example, below is actually the old syntax, and there isn’t really a pacnew file AFAIK.

I installed in June 23 and it was definitely wit “”

The last time I had a mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew file to merge was Dec 2022

[Testing Update] 2022-12-01 - Mkinitcpio, Systemd, NVIDIA, Qt, Gtk, SDL, LibreOffice, Cinnamon, Plasma

Arch has released mkinitcpio 33 with some structural changes

• :warning: There is a pacnew for /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. Make sure you review it. If you make any changes, don’t forget to run sudo mkinitcpio -P afterward.

There is no mention of mkinitcpio update in [Stable Update] 2022-12-06 announcement that included mkinitcpio 33-1

1 Like

"..." syntax, dead since 6 year :scream:

2 Likes

…not if you ask manjaro / calamares developers, still shipping default installations with it today (i really do not know who is to blame, but if it is calamares and it causes such problems, have you considered ditching it or forking it or patching it???)

1 Like

Same problem here.
I tried the mime rebuild procedure described by @tommetomme without success.

@philm @Manjaro-Team :pushpin: