[Stable Update] 2023-11-21 - Systemd, Gamescope-Plus, KDE Frameworks, Wine, Pipewire, Thunderbird

This update asks me to make a selection from …

[...] 2 providers available for qt6-multimedia-backend:
:: Repository extra
   1) qt6-multimedia-ffmpeg  2) qt6-multimedia-gstreamer

The default one and better supported one seems to be ffmpg. A bit misleading to call the non-default backend gstreamer a “native” backend here, cf.: Qt Multimedia 6.6.0

An issue I encountered was that microcode inclusion in the UKI was broken when using kernel-install. The manjaro package for mkinitcpio 37 is missing the new 40-microcode.install file. You can just download the missing file from the git repo. Remember to set the right permissions and reregenerate.

HAAALP! IT NOT WURKZ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, everything went fine. :wink: However, I agree with @cscs here… :point_down:

I do not have the base hook, because I use the systemd hook, which replaces base, udev and usr — the latter commonly not applicable in Manjaro because I’m willing to bet that no one else here beside myself has /usr on a separate partition. :wink:

But yes, replacing the base and udev hooks by systemd on the one hand, and the keymap and consolefont hooks by sd-vconsole on the other hand does speed up the boot process a little — not all that much, but it does make a difference — and as discussed elsewhere already, if one has the systemd hook, then base is not needed anymore, because all it does is provide a non-functional busybox rescue shell — non-functional because the root account in the initramfs is locked by default.

I also agree with @Olli here… :point_down:

Either adding it to the repos and installing it by default, or modifying the mkinitcpio package to no longer complain about any missing firmware modules for server-grade hardware — most of those are for RAID controllers anyway.

8 Likes

And the consolefont warning could probably also be fixed on the manjaro side. I installed from May 23 ISO, and the consolefont hook is there, but the conf is empty

[teo@teo-lenovo-v15 ~]$ cat /etc/vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=de
FONT=
FONT_MAP=

Maybe it got corrected and the hook removed in newer isos, i do not know. Just saying.

2 Likes

So if I replace “base” and “udev” with “sytemd” before updating to this stable update, I can ignore philm’s rtfm post?

mkinitcpio needs base hook

With the update of mkinitcpio 37 make sure you have the base hook in your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file. See also wiki for all hook documentation.

Yes, but for good measure, you should then also replace keymap and consolefont by sd-vconsole.

Just for illustration purposes, these are my hooks below. But do note that I’ve got Intel graphics and that I’m using btrfs, which may differ for your use case. :point_down:

HOOKS=(systemd autodetect modconf kms block keyboard sd-vconsole filesystems)
3 Likes

So, nobody else gets a core dump trying to login (kde)?
I get a core dump in startplasma-x11/wayland every time.
Installed cinnamon and it “runs” in fallback mode.
It is a laptop, i7-10850H with a Nvidia Quadro T1000.
I’ve had some issues in the past, mainly because of the graphics card, but nothing like this.
Any ideas?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

It is obviously a graphics driver issue. Wayland doesn’t like Nvidia, and I don’t know what display server Cinnamon uses — i.e. I don’t know whether it even supports Wayland at al — but the fallback thing also points in the direction of Nvidia.

If you cannot figure it out, please open a separate thread. This thread here is specifically for reporting issues and perhaps small questions that can easily be answered. Troubleshooting graphics driver issues is a whole other matter. :wink:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap encrypt filesystems"

should I use what you posted instead of this then? What is the case if i dont use intel graphics?

That is a dangerous example for newbies lol. Both the wiki page and the comments in mkinitcpio.conf itself have dire warnings about fsck hook being strongly recommended and required for seperate /usr partition, and using systemd fsck instead requires additional configuration.

1 Like

No, I only showed you what I am using on my system. Obviously, you must adapt this to your own configuration. In your case, it would then be… :point_down:

HOOKS=(systemd autodetect modconf block keyboard sd-vconsole sd-encrypt filesystems)

But I notice that you have not been merging your .pacnew files. The double-quote “HOOKS="..."” syntax was deprecated in favor of the “HOOKS=(...)” syntax ages ago already.

Your current HOOKS line does not have any mention of the Nvidia-specific hooks for modesetting with the proprietary driver, so you should be good to go.

I only mentioned that I’ve got Intel graphics in case people were wondering about the Nvidia-specific stuff — which will still be needed whether you use the systemd hooks or not.

It was not intended as how it should be done, but merely as an illustration of how it is on my system.

I did also mention that I use btrfs, and with btrfs, you don’t need an fsck hook in the initramfs because btrfs always checks the filesystem at mount time — it will even replay the journal on a filesystem that is to be mounted read-only if it detects filesystem damage. :wink:

With ext4 and other traditional (read/write-mounted) filesystems, you do indeed need the fsck hook.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply - I was assuming an issue with this update, because there were no nvidia updates since before my previous reboot.

1 Like

Thank you for the hint, i did the change over to systemd hooks and it significantly shortened boot time. Seems like the console printing was slowing down the process previously and now it’s much faster, i have no time to even read the text as it scrolls so fast.

1 Like

Before the update I replaced my previous:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap consolefont block filesystems fsck shutdown)

… with:

HOOKS=(systemd autodetect modconf kms keyboard sd-vconsole block filesystems fsck shutdown)

Ran:

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo update-grub

Then switched to kernel 6.1, since I previously used 5.15, rebooted, then used the usual update script and everything went good, although, I’ve seen some error messages during the update, like cuda was not downloaded entirely and similar.

should i run sudo mkinitcpio -P after the update,or after restarting the PC? or does Pamac takes care of it?

Before. But you should not do anything. Above are just examples. Leave the defaults and it will work too.

i wasn’t intending on changing/adding HOOKS
i’m asking because of the update.

Just cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and take a look. In most of the systems base is the first hook by default (i actually think it is the default by everybody, if not deliberately changed by user). If it is there you do not need to do anything.

1 Like

i already looked and have it,
but I’m assuming the update changes things in this file and i was told i should run this command after changes has been made,thus my question.

It doesn’t change anything. It requires that you have base in the mkinitcpio.conf file.

I don’t see you were told anything (at least in this thread).