[Stable Update] 2023-09-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Pipewire, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE, Thunderbird

Same problem, had to remove r8168 module in order to get wired ethernet back up. My ethernet is RTL8125 according to lspci. (Asus TUF B550m-wifi motherboard)

My VPN service also stopped working with wireguard protocol, DNS seems broken when I use it so I’ve switched back to OpenVPN protocol for the time being, not sure if that’s related or not, just thought I’d mention.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s indeed a 2012 machine and the update went fine while I’m now running this older version still.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Login password no longer works in main account - does work in new account

External audio card started crackling on starting and stopping audio play after update. Occasionally after suspend and resume plasmashell’s toolbar will not work, and any attempt to click on it will cause a kernel panic. Internal speakers crackle and immediately black screen upon trying to play any audio, and only a hard reset works. Also getting some cannot release mutex type errors. My laptop is an XPS 9700 re-outfitted with a 9710 core, so it may just be some kind of hardware issue.

Anyone has issue booting after upgrade. I have btrfs systemdboot manjaro setup with luksencryption. I cant replicate what caused the issue but after update its failing. Timeshift backup restore got my system up but it took 3 backups before upgrade and first backup restore worked so not sure which package update is causing issue. dmesg and journalctl doesnt list much. Anyway to troubleshoot just package update end issue

If my theory holds true for your issue, it’s not the update itself but a bonked up btrfs filesystem.
I had this: Repaired btrfs system m2 disk, but there is something wrong with the subvolumes or the system itself
If you have nothing to backup from them, delete the latest snapshots back to the one that was working. Then redo the update and try to repair…? I did repair my btrfs. However you might want to consult #btrfs on https://web.libera.chat/ then iff yours is broken, or just to find out if.

What was causing this for me maybe was I had hourly snapshots on and then 1 or more bugged it.

1 Like

Can this be repaired on boot fail and when I am in tty screen? btrfs command to be used to repair it?

I’d use a live system from USB that you’ll boot.
There are several commands that fix different btrfs issues. Please contact the live chat I linked to.

1 Like

Intel AX210 on Intel 11th gen Framework 13 seems to be good and truly borked with linux65 (seemingly continuous driver faults in the output during boot) with nm-applet seeing no wireless devices in plasma.

Linux64 is just dandy oth.

Unfortunately have no time to debug this rn

The Mirror-Check service shows:

Manjaro Repository

Is it true that it was last updated at 2023-09-19 11:05, several days ago??

Ctrl+F5 :wink:

I need to disable power saving on my AX210 card, but that’s all. After that, it works good to the max.

sadly 6.5 kernel is not working well after the update with my 5700 radeon. Sometimes if monitor is turned off and system goes to sleep, it appears frozen on resume with primary monitor not turning on, and secondary monitor is frozen. After switching to VT nothing seems to happen at first, but repeated trying eventually gets it to unfreeze. DMESG is full with logs like this:

kernel: amdgpu 0000:2f:00.0: amdgpu: SMU: I’m not done with your previous command: SMN_C2PMSG_66:0x0000001C SMN_C2PMSG_82:0x00020064

kernel: amdgpu 0000:2f:00.0: amdgpu: Failed to retrieve enabled ppfeatures!

KDE Plasma issue: dimming by sunrise/sunset is 1 hour late
I don’t know if this has been since the recent update (Sep 18 2023) or been there earlier, but I would have noticed so I’m pretty sure this is very recent.
When I set Night Color’s switching time to: Sunset and sunrise at current location
the 45 min changing filter begins dimming one hour late (and accordingly finishes one hour late too of course).
I can set it Sunset and sunrise at manual location (pretty accurately by mouse) and it sets it fine on time.
I get this both on laptop and desktop (Stable) so my conclusion is, it must be a bug that daylight saving time i. e. summer time <> winter time is not taken into account anymore with the at current location setting.
I remember it was fine until recently seeing the sun set and the displays dim simultaneously.
Oh and I use a blue dim for day and night (around 5000K/around 2200K).
I’ve made a separate thread too (No more summer time in Night Color?) but I’m very sure this has not been an issue before the update.

There’s currently quite a long standing issue with amdgpu. While I’ve never seen the second log, the first one is familiar to me. My current workaround is to set the performance profile to low, at least this fixes the instability issue. High might be more appropriate for a desktop, if you’re fine with the power draw. The basic issue from what I can conclude is the dynamic power management that sometimes fail to switch state automatically.

Unsure if this started after this or the previous update, but after having the system running for more than a week starting any program with a GUI fails:

Plasma Desktop workspace
Launching Add/Remove Software (failed)
Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

2023-09-29 07:31:17 Loading updated app package /home/<username>/.config/obsidian/obsidian-1.4.13.asar                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ✔   
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

[902708:0929/093117.265033:ERROR:ozone_platform_x11.cc(240)] Missing X server or $DISPLAY
[902708:0929/093117.265086:ERROR:env.cc(255)] The platform failed to initialize.  Exiting.
The futex facility returned an unexpected error code.

[1]  + IOT instruction (core dumped)  obsidian

Doesn’t matter what I try to start, it’ll fail. But any program already running works fine. A reboot solves the issue for a while.

System is AMD Ryzen 7 2700, with AMD Navi 23 running Kernel: 6.1.53-1-MANJARO using amdgpu driver running KDE Plasma with X11.

[EDIT] The screen locker gives a message it’s broken, though using loginctl to unlock it I can again use any running programs. Rebooting needs to be done from a running terminal, since the restart window fails when trying to run restart, shutdown or logout from the menu. [/EDIT]

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

I have seen similar issues with my AMD laptop sometimes having a black screen when coming back from sleep/hibernate.

The power profiles appeared recently but after my first tries with them I won’t touch those for a while since they seem quite broken. The behavior is extremely indeterministic. Sometimes they didn’t apply at all, sometimes I wasn’t able to get a higher clock speed and sometimes it wouldn’t come out of the lower one. Sometimes a reboot rectified that behavior, sometimes it didn’t. I did not report any issues before since they are not reproducible at all.

Also the related audio device (which also just started working recently) sometimes is not available after a reboot but it is not fixed by another reboot. Sometimes it works for several days and then it isn’t for another few days. Looks like some kind of race condition on boot.

Both, the code implementing this is probably not written with thread safety in mind. Thus, making reproducibility, let alone fixes, hard. It can, several people have even given scripts to reproduce, but at an inconsistent rate.

1 Like

I’d avoided updating with the 2023-08-11 release (and beyond) as I wasn’t 100% certain I would not be affected the the “black screen” issue and kernel 6.5 is a little too new yet for me to want to install… but today I took the plunge (after inxi reminded me I’m using a Ryzen 5 5600X and 6800XT) and flawless got caught up to this 2023-09-18 release… with only the /etc/shells.pacnew file to deal with.

EDIT:
What are these lines referring too from pacman.log?

[2023-10-01T11:26:07-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Creating group 'systemd-journal-upload' with GID 958.
[2023-10-01T11:26:07-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Creating user 'systemd-journal-upload' (systemd Journal Upload) with UID 958 and GID 958.

What’s being uploaded to where? Hmm, I checked systemd-journal-upload.service(8) — Arch manual pages and I cannot find files/folders at /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journal-upload, so now I’m curious why accounts were created for a service that perhaps wasn’t even installed?

1 Like