[Stable Update] 2023-09-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Pipewire, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE, Thunderbird

Same here. gnome-logs are empty.

Following the 9-18-23 update I had no WAN access although LAN was fine. I use PIA vpn service which is connected at boot. I found that if I disconnected from PIA, WAN access returned. I went into the client config and switched from wireguard to openvpn and was able to connect to the vpn with WAN access again. Seems the update broke wireguard?

I should mention using the xfce version.

1 Like

I’m still having the issue that appeared with the previous update. KDE messes up my screen layout (laptop with a secondary screen) on every reboot, resume and second screen plugging/unplugging to my laptop.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Docker is no longer accessible

Hello,

After upgrading to 2023-09-18, I had a problem with Openfortigui, or any software using PPP to connect to Fortinet VPNSSL (probably others VPN but I can not say). The error message is “Peer refused to agree to his IP address”.

This is a known issue :

So the solution is to rollback ppp and networkmanager-pptp :
downgrade 'ppp=2.4.9-3' 'networkmanager-pptp=1.2.12-1'

Regards.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Timeshift crash while deleting snapshots

A post was split to a new topic: Vivaldi browser not able to open magnet links

Hi, I noticed systemd-swap ( AUR (en) - systemd-swap ) became an orphaned AUR package since 2023-09-04 09:58 (UTC)

I always used systemd-swap, but is it obsolete now?

The systemd-swap developer’s GitHub Page Nefelim4ag/systemd-swap: Script for creating hybrid swap space from zram swaps, swap files and swap partitions recommends changing to zram-generator:

:warning: Current code quality and commit frequency is low :warning:

Users should migrate to systemd/zram-generator since zram should be enough in most systems

1 Like

I don’t know if this has anything to do with the update, but I just noticed that items on the desktop are no longer highlighted when I select them. Plasma 5.27.8, KWin. :thinking:

i still experience black screen (after entering login password) in kernel 6.5
in kernel 6.4 / 6.1 LTS, work fine, no black screen

is my hardware too old for new kernels? (laptop with dual GPU : AMD A9-9420 + radeon M530 discrete)

or do i need to do something to make 6.5 work?

@fluffy_bunny This has nothing to do with the stable update. Was it so hard to make a new topic?

@scotty65 Zram is a nice thing but honestly for a typical desktop or laptop: if you use hibernation you still need the swap to be on the hard drive. If you don’t and have plenty of ram so that you think you do not need swap (and consider zram), you can just make a small file on the drive - it will never be used anyway.

sorry about that, i mean, after installing this update, kernel 6.5.3 still gives me black screen (it has occurred since kernel 6.5.0)

ok will create new topic

thanks

I’m new to troubleshooting this kind of thing because until recently I had only used ubuntu. I solved it, but I’m writing it here because it made me burn 4 hours chasing red herrings, in case others are too.

my resolv.conf symlink (via the resolvconf-symlink package) just pointed to nowhere. network manager wasn’t handling it. My wifi was connecting, but DNS wasn’t resolving at all.

I’ll gladly give better diagnostics if you tell me what’s needed for this, though I’m going to sleep for now.

it’s like network-manager got wedged and then never decided to fix the issue. I had the r8168 driver, which may have wedged it, but removing that and rebooting didn’t fix the issue.

Open a new thread if you want support for a generally unsupported AUR package (you read the big fat disclaimer before enabling AUR, right?).
This has nothing to do with the stable update in my opinion. Besides, you should rebuild the AUR packages as a first mesure after something stops working after update.

I have a vague idea that this might be related to the problems I’ve found with SDDM 0.20.
You could try downgrading it to 0.19 and seeing if that helps. If not,you can just go back to 0.20.

2 Likes

Not a real problem but the UI for entering the LUKS password for my encrypted /home partition changed after the update. Caused me a 3 hour brain fart where I couldn’t think of the right password! Mostly me being dim.

This is on my Thinkpad T460. Previously the password prompt appeared underneath the big red Lenovo decal, in the lower middle of the screen. Now it comes up in the screens of boot messages, as though quiet boot is turned off. I just checked and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and it still lists ‘quiet’.

Odd that it doesn’t seem to quiet boot. About to try another reboot…
EDIT: Seems to be a permanent change - or is happening because fsck is trying to run, which rings some bells.

After upgrading to 2023-09-18, I had a problem with Openfortigui, or any software using PPP to connect to Fortinet VPNSSL (probably others VPN but I can not say). The error message is “Peer refused to agree to his IP address”.
So the solution is to rollback ppp and networkmanager-pptp :
downgrade 'ppp=2.4.9-3' 'networkmanager-pptp=1.2.12-1'

… or

2 Likes

Oh wow. This update finally fixed my Ethernet connection icon in xfce (previously was wireless icon for some reason)! :face_holding_back_tears:

Ran pacman -Syyu. The result

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(254/254) checking keys in keyring                              [----------------------------------] 100%
(254/254) checking package integrity                            [----------------------------------] 100%
(254/254) loading package files                                 [----------------------------------] 100%
(254/254) checking for file conflicts                           [----------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
systemd: /usr/share/factory/etc/vconsole.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Sure, the file exists:

# pacman -F /usr/share/factory/etc/vconsole.conf
usr/share/factory/etc/vconsole.conf is owned by core/filesystem 2023.03.21-1

I am a bit afraid to experiment with removing core packages. What should I do?