[Stable Update] 2023-05-07 - Kernels, KDE Gear 23.04.0, KDE Frameworks 5.105.0, Qt5, Firefox, Thunderbird

I have random (rare) blackscreen (monitor lost signal) issue when im on the KDE Desktop and when im afk from my PC.

Mai 11 02:25:15 koboldx-z170 kernel: [drm:drm_new_set_master] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Failed to grab modeset ownership
Mai 11 02:26:26 koboldx-z170 kernel: [drm:drm_new_set_master] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Failed to grab modeset ownership

This issue still only fixed with the workaround, that possible gives me today the blackscreen issue.

Please help me out in my Topic:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/random-rare-blackscreen-monitor-lost-signal-issue-and-sometimes-wont-wake-up/

After the upgrade a login on the console would produce a coredump of login:

systemd-coredump[6476]: Process 6473 (login) of user *redacted* dumped core.

I use ecryptfs and had modified my /etc/pam.d/system-auth accordingly, I noticed a system-auth.pacnew dating back to 2022, so i guess the file wasn’t updates as intended during the update due to my changes.

After restoring system-auth to system-auth.pacnew (without my patches) and updating pambase and systemd I re-applied my patches and everything worked fine. I diffed the old and the new file:

auth       [success=2 default=ignore]  pam_unix.so          try_first_pass nullok
-auth      [success=1 default=ignore]  pam_systemd_home.so

became

-auth      [success=2 default=ignore]  pam_systemd_home.so
auth       [success=1 default=bad]     pam_unix.so          try_first_pass nullok

and the line

-session   optional                    pam_systemd_home.so

got added.

Thanks. It does seem to be something specific to my user profile: shotwell works fine if I log in under a different user. I’ve no idea how to track down the issue from here. Maybe I can try resetting all the shotwell preferences to defaults.

I updated the BIOS on my two latest PC’s, both AMD Ryzen-based and then did the Stable 2023-05-07 update, including the amd-ucode update. Both PCs are running without problems on kernel 6.1.26 LTS.

Thanks for bringing this amd-ucode issue up. I had originally planned to ignore BIOS updates because one of the PCs can only be updated from within Windows (Lenovo offers ONLY Windows-based BIOS updates) and I refuse to install Windows. But reading past posts by @bogdancovaciu and @straycat tipped me off to using Hiren’s BootCD PE to do the BIOS update. Easy peasy!!

You made a mistake. You mentioned at the start that Firefox is at version 112.0.2. But in the middle, you said that it is at version 112.0.1

5 posts were split to a new topic: NVIDIA high refresh issues

Had the same issue with cryptsetup version 2.6.1-3.2. I can confirm downgrading to 2.6.1-1 solves the problem and unlocking works again!

I pushed some kernels.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: The USB-C ports on my Dell monitor aren’t working anymore

I guess that they solved the “zfs” issue…

What zfs issue?

This one: " There was an issue with zfs-utils 2.1.11-1 package having the initcipio files wrongly installed. Please update to zfs-utils 2.1.11-1.1 and re-run mkinitcpio -P" , from the known issues and solution at the top of the thread…

anyone having this issue could not find all required packages: dav1d >=1.2.0.
I cant upgrade, how should i fix this?

Thanks

Probably AUR? dav1d 1.2 is available in unstable/testing branch. Switch or wait.

1 Like

do you know what blocks that update? that has been a really long time now.

6.3 support was added to the master branch. We’ll have to see how bad it will be to backport to the 2.1.x releases

Beginning support for Linux 6.3 · Issue #14622 · openzfs/zfs · GitHub

1 Like

Please keep “Stable” branch on gnome 43.x to give us the option of not forcibly upgrading to 44 for now.

Me thinks it belongs still in testing/unstable

Hi,
yesterday I’ve updated the system and I can’t login anymore:
SDDM changed theme, it asks me for user password but it just shows everytime same page, user name asking password.
I’m looking for help to trying to understand wht went wrong and how to recover my system.
Thank you

You may check /var/log/pacman.log to see what updated on your system @doro.

I pushed some more kernels

1 Like