[Stable Update] 2023-02-12 - Kernels, OpenSSL, Nvidia, Mesa, LibreOffice 7.5, Pamac, Thunderbird

What I think? What I think?!.

I don’t think much, if anything. I know that, if this works, it’s awesome!


I tried to open LibreOffice Writer and it kept crashing each time. I renamed .cache, .config and ~/.local/share/kscreen, then rebooted - now everything works again, but I’m not able to use all my hard work adjusting Manjaro KDE Plasma (KWin) to suit my needs. This is not an acceptable solution for this issue. It’s just a dirty temporary workaround.

EDIT: I just restored my old .config only then rebooted. But the system behaves just as the same as right after the update. My applications and System Settings items keep crashing.

It does :grin: :partying_face:

1 Like

There is a package that does this

community/snap-pac 3.0.1-2 [Installiert]
    Pacman hooks that use snapper to create pre/post btrfs snapshots like openSUSE's YaST

I just updated Thunderbird and Chromium after the restore, I’ll wait a few days … something doesn’t fit anymore (w/ latest mesa, x-org, KDE, QT … no idea)

Turned out the culprit is kvantum. It seems like updating to 1.0.9 fixes the issue.

Hello this is the first time I had trouble after an update, but it’s a big one as it left my system completely inoperable.
I am using KDE Wayland and after installing the update and rebooting my memory (32 GB) is completely filled to the point where I couldn’t start any new programs. The problem persisted across several reboots and switching to a X11 session.

I could luckily still start Yakuake and found the culprit to be plasmashell which was sitting at 28GB memory usage.

Only thing I could do was to revert the update via Timeshift.


Via binary search I found the package responsible for the issue.
Surprisingly it’s glibc (and/or lib32-glibc) going from 2.36-7 → 2.37-2
For my machine this is reproducible and leads to the issue mentioned above.

1 Like

It will take some time before Manjaro team tags it as “LTS” and “Recommended”


Friendly piece of advise; avoid Wayland.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Pamac update fails

hmm, I don’t use KDE Wayland but I put glibc & lib32-glibc to the ignore list and restarted the upgrade, now everything worked without problems.
Everything is in place and works as before ,no need to create new kscreen config files.

Do you think I should keep glibc & lib32-glibc on my ignore list or can they be updated after the main upgrade as well?

Somewhat similar experience here. Yesterday I did get notification about upgrade from pamac-tray-plasma. pamac-manager displayed list of upgraded packages. Today when I tried to run update, the same widget told me that my system is up-to-date. I modified the list of mirrors as described here: How to Change Manjaro Mirrors List which solved the issue.

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

The patched Pamac update with CLI auth works really well and I like it a lot, as I am always using the terminal to upgrade my 3 Manjaro boxes :+1:

9 posts were split to a new topic: Still no fix to OBS

Gimp’s resynthesizer plugin didn’t appear when selected. Checking the log, I could see a message:

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cairo/_cairo.so: undefined symbol: cairo_tee_surface_index

Solved by rebuilding python2-cairo from AUR.

1 Like

It works! I was so excited for the feature that i did upgrade pamac before the system, just so i could do the system upgrade with this new feature :smiley:

So I’ve been told. I’m excited by it as well, but couldn’t use the feature this time. Next time, though…

yes, the KDE issues are definitely caused by these libraries:
glibc (and/or lib32-glibc) 2.37-2

if it’s in the ignore list everything works, as soon as 2.37-2 is installed plasma breaks
I will keep v.2.36-7 for the time being

Glad you figured it out. But it is strange, especially seeing:

$ pamac list --installed | grep --ignore-case glibc
glibc                                 2.37-2                        core       49.8 MB
lib32-glibc                           2.37-2                        core       18.9 MB