[Stable Update] 2022-12-06 - Kernels, Mesa, Plasma, Cinnamon, Nvidia, LibreOffice, Pipewire, Virtualbox

To check whether hardware acceleration is currently running during playback (as root/sudo)
cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info | grep VCN:

I’m still trying to figure out the reasoning for this change.

• Neither intel open source driver nor mesa driver is being developed by manjaro team, but included in manjaro repositories.
  • Also, this won’t block anyone from encoding and decoding streams (so using MPEG-LA intellectual property) in software,
  • Neither driver contains any patented code or logic, and only provides an API to EXTERNAL hardware that implements the function, that is developed, manufactured by legal companies, and bought and installed by the user or machine manufacturer. Not manjaro team.
  • And the machine itself is being used by the user, and the user holds responsibility how it is using it. Not manjaro (or any other distro) team.

Isn’t it ironic, that large companies use free open source encoders like x265 to deliver often paid and copyrighted content to users who are going to be not allowed to decode it on expensive proprietary hardware they paid for?

4 Likes

Hi,

I don’t now if it’s link. It happened for me too with this update on a MSI laptop running on wayland and battery during the update.

Ctrl+alt+F3 (or other one) didn’t help but cap still respond.

I wait a few and hard reboot.

Wish You well

I noticed that now system monitor plasma-systemmonitor does not display GPU (Nvidia gtx1060) informations anymore; eg the sensors for temperature, memory and gpu frequency, gpu usage and vram usage are all at zero.
I suspected the GPU was somehow not detected or something like it but nvidia-smi --loop shows the GPU is correctly utilized and all of the related sensors work.
Just reporting here as before the update it was working correctly (Manjaro KDE, kernel 5.15.81, X11)

2 Likes

This is the second update that borked by Anki flatpak install somehow

Anki starting...
Initial setup...
Preparing to run...
Qt warning: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile) 
Qt warning: qglx_findConfig: Failed to finding matching FBConfig for QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize 1, greenBufferSize 1, blueBufferSize 1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples -1, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::SingleBuffer, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile  QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile) 
Qt fatal: Could not initialize GLX

Re-installing fixes it, but shouldn’t flatpaks be pretty immune to getting broken by system updates? Doesn’t make sense to me.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue as well, plasma-systemmonitor is unable to display any of the sensors/usage stats of my graphics card (Nvidia RTX3070Ti) but other programs such as Nvidia control panel, mangohud, etc are able to display these usage statistics just fine. I’m running kernel 6.0.11-1-MANJARO and Nvidia driver version 525.60.11

It was also working just fine for me before the update, do we just need to wait for a plasma update, or is something else missing?

1 Like

I cant find this stable update with my Laptop… with my PC it showed up.

They both using the same Kernel (5.15) and almost everything is identical.

I updated the mirrors with sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack but Laptop just showed up to date in the Pamac UI :scream:

I just created a Topic:

1 Like

Whats new since the Update

Airplay2 works great with raop-discover and raop.encryption.type = "auth_setup" :heart_eyes:
Tested with KEF-LSX

Firefox coredump systemd-coredump[2164]: [🡕] Process 2126 (firefox) of user 1000 dumped core :shushing_face:

1 Like

Have the exact same issue after update :melting_face:

1 Like

It should be noted that this is still a deliberate choice the Manjaro team is doing here, as the functionality could stay enabled. E.g. (and so far at least) Arch is keeping it enabled. So personally I think it would be nice to have a somewhat better explanation of the reasons behind this decision than making it sound as if it’s something that can’t be helped as it’s happening outside of Manjaro’s sphere of influence.

4 Likes

Why is h.264 disabled? Is it going to be permanent?

@adelpozoman

philm already gave the link in the description of changes ! if you had taken only a single moment to read it you would know why ! your question is already answered so don’t waste our time.

1 Like

Because h.264 and h.265 are proprietary video codecs, not free.
Some companies e.g. Amazon, Netflix, Apple … should pay for them.

Also, why cripple specifically hardware acceleration for only one brand, but leaving SOFTWARE acceleration by cpu in place?
If the former is allegedly a legally grey area, wouldn’t the latter surely put any distro far into sue-me country?

I would really be grateful for an explanation here…

That is not correct. Manjaro as a distro isn’t committed to only distribute free software.
The reason is stated in the very first post of this announcment: (IMHO unfounded) fear of patent violations and liability.

1 Like

Manjaro is a company. Arch is not.

Disclaimer: I was not involved in this decision as I am part of the community, not the company

3 Likes

Ok, fair enough. :slight_smile:
I guess there might be different opinions in the team.
But in particular if that’s the decision of a company, the continued availability of software decoding (please, correct me if I’m wrong) for the very same codecs makes it either look like a very half-cooked decision or a somewhat insincere/incomplete explanation.

AFAIK the relevant patents only concern GPU decoding.

Tried solution suggested by @marlop, but did not work for me ecen though compile and install worked.

So downgraded mesa with the list @Yochanan suggested above. That didn’t work either.

So downgraded mesa with the list @oneno suggested above with lib32 packages and worked!

$ vainfo
Trying display: wayland
Trying display: x11
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.16 (libva 2.16.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 22.2.3 for AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.15.81-1-MANJARO, LLVM 14.0.6)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc
Same on second machine...
$ vainfo
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 22.2.4 for AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.15.81-1-MANJARO, LLVM 14.0.6)

After downgrade:

$ vainfo
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 22.2.3 for AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.15.81-1-MANJARO, LLVM 14.0.6)
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
$

2 posts were split to a new topic: Konsolerc already exists in filesystem

so yeah there has to be linux 6.0. But since I am not quite aware of things like [EOL] and rt54 and r14, I thought of asking here. I know my question was stupid but I would be grateful if I was educated on these things.

My original being : is stable update receiving 6.0 kernel or is it still in version 5 ?

rt means “Experimental” (the actual word I don’t right now, but that’s what it boils down to; rc is “Release Candidate”, EOL is “End of Life”, thus about to lose support. Unless you know exactly what you’re doing, stay away from kernels with letters in their version numbers -they’re for testing, and may well give you a headache.