[Stable Update] 2022-10-10 - Kernels, Octopi, Deepin, GlibC, Haskell, Python; Nvidia 520.56.06

I had an issue with ceph-lib 15.2.17-1 not updating/rebuilding and crashing pamac. Then the system became unresponsive after trying to update it a couple of times though pamac (couldn’t reboot, couldn’t open a terminal).

I did a search for ceph-lib 15.2.17-1 and the general response was to delete it if not needed. I can’t remember installing it as I rarely install anything from AUR any more where I can help it.

:point_down:

The second one I think, based on what format xrandr likes.

1 Like

Hello
I think there is bug on latest nvidia drivers 520.56.06 Color banding and animation issues with 520.56.06 - #3 by kyngskyngs - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums . I have this issue.
Btw how to downgrade nvidia drivers? Using downgrade from cli?

1 Like

This update caused me a lot of pain, I installed it 4 times and had to go back 4 times after. In the past I haven’t had any major problems with updates but this one is really bad, at least for me. I am using pipewire and wireplumber and my microphone starts crackling after installing the update.
When my pc goes into sleep or hibernation mode, my 3 monitors mirror the content of one until I restart. Often I loose a taskbar or some widgets while doing so, sometimes the KDE widgets switch to a different monitor for no obvious reason. Having the monitors turn off after some given time screws up my wallpaper and crops the one on my bigger main monitor to the size of the smaller ones next to it.
Klipper doesn’t work at all until I restart plasma once after booting up.
It’s a big mess and I am really looking forwart to the next big update, in hopes that it will improve things.
I consider myself to be a heavy user of Manjaro and I do :heart: your work but I would appreciate Manjaro offering less broken updates in the future. :melting_face:

6 posts were split to a new topic: I have some issues with applications

After the issue accured i used timeshift to the second last stable (Kernel) release,
because the new Kernel upgrade is only available with the newest nvidia driver upgrade… it forced to me to install both Kernel/nvidia driver at the same time.

At the moment im using 5.15.74-3 Kernel with the last working nvidia driver because no one helps me to downgrade my nvidia driver on the new Kernel.

I never downgrade a driver… can you give me the exact cli command and lead to though the process?

And how and where should i do it? Should i use tty, maybe i will get blackscreen. When im on the KDE Desktop, a normal Terminal cli isnt good idea to rollback a gpu driver, i think.

I’m still on this 520.56.06 nvidia drivers. Did not downgrade. Waiting for the fix from nvidia.

I saw your link from the nvidia dev forum… you posted a wrong screenshot in dropbox.

Instead of the issue, it showed maybe real life environment.

To downgrade nvidia probably should work:

pamac install downgrade
sudo DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade nvidia-utils mhwd-nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils libxnvctrl

but I did NOT tested this.

On my monitor this picture is showing pixels but I think I’ll post a picture from camera from my phone to explain what is wrong

1 Like

Okay thanks, maybe another one can verify me, that this is the right way to rollback the nvidia driver.

Do you think i should use this command in tty instead terminal?

It should work from a terminal - like You are updating to latest version.

1 Like

if you want to downgrade nvidia you have to downgrade all nvidia packages and kernels, otherwise you end up with a black screen … downgrade doesnt provide the option to downgrade kernels nor all nvidia packages, so the best option would be to downgrade them from cache, however if you dont have them no longer in cache, you can forget about downgrading anything… check with:
ls -hl /var/cache/pacman/pkg | grep -E 'linux5|nvidia'

1 Like

I have packages in cache but I’ll wait for a fix from nvidia.

I hope i understand you right… since this new Kernel update, required the new nvidia driver,
atleast this is what pamac GUI telling me… when it stop updating because i deselected the nvidia driver.

I cant only downgrade the nvidia driver, because i will run into blackscreen/no boot after restarting the system… because the new Kernel wont work with the older nvidia driver?

So, if i downgrade the nvidia driver, i have to do the same with the Kernel…?

yes, if you downgrade only nvidia you will have problems, you need to downgrade also kernels

1 Like

Okay, thanks… but isnt there also a LTS Nvidia driver available 4.70 or something?

I mean there was also a way for Linux people using older nvidia GPU Kepler cards, after nvidia stopped supporting this cards… 1-2years ago maybe if i remember the right time window.

There should be a solution for this problem… or im wrong?

well you can remove the latest nvidia drivers, and install the 470xx version and see if its without the issue… this would be a better solution than downgrading

1 Like

Allright thanks… is there a tutorial, how i can archive this goal or could you explain it to me?

check what drivers are available and what you have installed:
mhwd -l && mhwd -li
then you uninstall the latest drivers - those without any number, here is an example:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
and install the older version:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-470xx
reboot… this is an example, if you have installed hybrid drivers you modify the commands above, if you are not sure post the output from the mhwd command here… also here is manjaro wiki:

1 Like