[Stable Update] 2022-02-05 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, Nvidia, Calamares, VirtualBox, Pipewire, Mesa, Systemd

Anyone else coming here please note that pamac the GUI updater cannot make the changes or perform the upgrade, don’t ask why. You have to use pacman from a ‘terminal’.
As noted
sudo pacman -S pipewire-jack
agree to all the changes
sudo pacman - Syyu

or one of the ‘recipes’ here : Pacman Overview - Manjaro.

For anyone interested the Arch maintainers announced this change 3 weeks ago:
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-proaudio/2022-January/000372.html

I’m thankful for all the discussion around the jack2/pipewire-jack conflict. For some reason for me, pacman would not upgrade the pipewire-jack package, only reinstall (tried with -S and -Sdd)…

$ sudo pacman -S pipewire-jack
warning: pipewire-jack-1:0.3.43-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) pipewire-jack-1:0.3.43-1

and this had me concerned about using the pamac GUI option mentioned (since pamac/pacman do/accomplish similar things, and even share a log file)…

Until I discovered that command line pamac would take care of both the upgrade and jack2 removal…

$ pamac install pipewire-jack
Preparing...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To upgrade (1):
  pipewire-jack  1:0.3.45-1  (1:0.3.43-1)            extra  152.5 kB
To remove (1):
  jack2          1.9.20-3    (Conflicts With: jack)  extra

Not sure why pacman gave no joy, but pamac seemed to have stepped up.

Oops… spoke too soon. After letting answering “Y” to apply the transaction, pamac quickly shot out “Transaction successfully finished.” without making any changes? If i run the below command back-to-back… it repeats itself thinking there’s an update and conflict to resolve… and the pamac GUI still shows jack2 installed with pipewire-jack still not upgraded.

$ pamac install pipewire-jack
Preparing...

To upgrade (1):
  pipewire-jack  1:0.3.45-1  (1:0.3.43-1)            extra  152.5 kB
To remove (1):
  jack2          1.9.20-3    (Conflicts With: jack)  extra

Total download size: 152.5 kB
Total installed size: 198.7 kB
Total removed size: 2.0 MB

Apply transaction ? [y/N] y
Transaction successfully finished.

I seem to be having issues with both pamac and pacman and not sure why. :man_shrugging:

I do know my mirrors are up to date and in sync…

$ pacman-mirrors
Pacman-mirrors version 4.23.2
Local mirror status for stable branch
Mirror #1   OK  02:17   Canada  https://muug.ca/mirror/manjaro/
Mirror #2   OK  04:40   Canada  https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/manjaro/
Mirror #3   OK  00:20   Canada  https://osmirror.org/manjaro/
Mirror #4   OK  01:17   Canada  https://mirror.0xem.ma/manjaro/

EDIT: Thought I’d try a reboot, but no change… neither pamac nor pacman will upgrade pipewire-jack and resolve jack2 via the command line

Wifi device not recognized after Update - Surface Pro 3 (Marvell 88W8897 [AVASTAR] 802.11ac Wireless)

kernel: mwifiex_pcie 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
kernel: mwifiex_pcie: PCI memory map Virt0: 00000000a5efdaee PCI memory map Virt2: 000000007951e1be
kernel: mwifiex_pcie 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for mrvl/pcie8897_uapsta.bin failed with error -2
kernel: mwifiex_pcie 0000:01:00.0: Failed to get firmware mrvl/pcie8897_uapsta.bin

Needed manual offline firmware (linux-firmware-marvell) installation after the update.
The update routine does not care about:

Installiere linux-firmware-whence (20220119.0c6a7b3-3)...
Erneuere linux-firmware (20211027.1d00989-1 -> 20220119.0c6a7b3-3)...
Erneuere linux510 (5.10.89-1 -> 5.10.96-1)...

Solution:
Arch split their firmware package and the normal does not include marvell firmware any more. See #721 and #723. Installing linux-firmware-marvell should fix this.

1 Like

There’s an open bug report: FS#73588 - ffmpeg4.4 cannot be installed: cannot resolve “libx264.so=164-64”

error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: jack2 and pipewire-jack are in conflict

@quakestring Already resolved. See posts above.

pamac install pipewire-jack

Not sure why the command line updates for pipewire-jack didn’t work for me, but I was finally able to install the updates via the pamac GUI after following this advise…

Now to figure why I’m having Bluetooth issues with the new 5.15.19-1 kernel…

$ journalctl --priority err --boot 0
Feb 05 10:33:56 AM4-5600X-Linux kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: command 0xfc01 tx timeout
Feb 05 10:34:04 AM4-5600X-Linux kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: FW download error recovery failed (-110)
Feb 05 10:34:04 AM4-5600X-Linux kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
Feb 05 10:34:06 AM4-5600X-Linux kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to read MSFT supported features (-110)
Feb 05 10:34:16 AM4-5600X-Linux bluetoothd[717]: src/profile.c:record_cb() Unable to get Hands-Free Voice gateway SDP record: Host is down

I tried looking for a related .pacnew file, but did not find any; hence why I suspect the kernel.

$ Inxi -Fazy
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX200 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 1-4:6
    chip-ID: 8087:0029 class-ID: e001
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: up address: see --recommends

$ rfkill list
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

EDIT: According to [Solved] No bluetooth from AX200 / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums

Hello future searchers! It turns out it was a hardware issue that would also affect Windows (in which case it’d be greyed out in the device manager). Essentially there’s a hardware bug with this chipset that sometimes causes bluetooth to fail, and it can be temporarily fixed by turning off the power, unplugging from the wall, waiting up to a minute, and then booting up again. Beyond that it seems to be random. When it’s working, lsusb will give you “Intel Corp. AX200 Bluetooth” and rfkill list will have a bluetooth entry.

So I thought I’d give this a try, powered down, unplugged power for 15 seconds, rebooted, and journalctl no longer reports bluetooth kernel errors.

Now that I think about it…I’ve seen the issue before (Anyone else experiencing Intel AX200 Bluetooth being disabled in kernel515? - #17 by Daniel-I) and had equated it to the AMD USB drop out issue that sometimes happens. On one kernel it was a crapshoot every reboot whether my mouse or bluetooth would not be detected… so this may be a kernel issue that get’s resolved down the road, or maybe there is a reliance an a newer AGESA with the newer kernel? Or maybe the Arch poster is right in saying the AX200 is “flakey”.

1 Like

nvidia-utils-510.47.03-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
error: could not rename /var/cache/pacman/pkg/nvidia-utils-510.47.03-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.part to /var/cache/pacman/pkg/nvidia-utils-510.47.03-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst (No such file or directory)

I’m seeing this as well.

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t change the User Picture

Had the jack2 and pipewire-jack conflict as well. Ran

sudo pacman -S pipewire-jack

And had it remove jack2 by itself, then went back into the GUI updater and updated the rest of the packages.

Also had an issue where org.freedesktop.Platform wasn’t updating (it was a Flatpak package) so I opened up Konsole and ran

flatpak upgrade

And it updated the Breeze gtk3 theme which fixed it (don’t run it as sudo)

After the update I could no longer log into my system as neither my keyboard nor my mouse would work. After several attempts at restoring from timeshift and retrying finally figured out that it wasn’t a problem with my window manager or multiple screens, it was the tlp program.

This link led me to uninstalling tlp. Once I did that everything is working correctly again and my system is completely updated.

Hopefully this may help someone avoid spending half the day on it like I did.

1 Like

Somehow the actions to resolve the pipewire-jack vs jack2 did work at my side and the devs of pamac and pacman forgot to implement a --force parameter. Any other ideas?

~ $ LANG=C sudo pamac install pipewire-jack
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
conflicting dependencies:
- jack2 and pipewire-jack are in conflict

~ $ LANG=C sudo pacman -S pipewire-jack
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: pipewire-jack and jack2 are in conflict (jack). Remove jack2? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'jack2=1.9.20' required by lib32-jack2

Please note removing jack2 manually is NOT an option at my side:

~ $ LANG=C sudo pacman -Rns jack2
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by audacity
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'jack' required by ffmpeg
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by fluidsynth
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by gst-plugins-good
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'jack2=1.9.20' required by lib32-jack2
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'jack' required by mpv
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by mpv
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'jack' required by obs-studio
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by portaudio
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by stk
:: removing jack2 breaks dependency 'libjack.so=0-64' required by timidity++

@RoestVrijStaal Did you try this?

sudo pacman -Rs lib32-jack2 jack2

I had a little problem with Bluetooth that got fixed, thanks. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I cant update my system I got the following error:

could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing linux510-rt breaks dependency 'linux510-rt' required by linux-rt-lts-manjaro
- removing linux510-rt-virtualbox-host-modules breaks dependency 'linux510-rt-virtualbox-host-modules' required by linux-rt-lts-manjaro-virtualbox-host-modules

I tried to remove 5.10-rt from settings / kernel, since I don’t need it (I’m on 5.15), but I got same message. Any hints?

1 Like

@zenaj

@audialche and @ishaan2479
Thank you :slight_smile:
Apparently sudo pacman -Rd lib32-jack2 && sudo pacman -S pipewire-jack did the job.

The extra d in -Rdd mentioned in that Reddit article isn’t needed. After testing both I got the same effects. And the man page of pacman does not mention it ¹ ². However man pages are a collection of descriptions of parameters etc. etc. instead of solution-oriented documentation, so I may have overlooked something.

1 Like

Recent update seems to have broken my “Natural scrolling” setting, sometimes called inverse scrolling (mousewheel or touchpad). In my case I have an Apple Magic Trackpad 2 which I use Natural scrolling on. Now, it will never inverse the scroll, no matter what the setting is inside System Settings (KDE). Restarting doesn’t help.

I feel like this was an issue before but I have no idea how to solve it.

Getting the following when trying to update:

Failure to prepare transaction
could not satisfy dependencies:

• removing linux510-rt-broadcom-wl breaks dependency ‘linux510-rt-broadcom-wl’ required by linux-rt-lts-manjaro-broadcom-wl
1 Like