[Stable Update] 2021-08-27 - Kernels, Cutefish, NetworkManager, Gnome, Pamac, Mesa, Browsers, Xorg-Server, LibreOffice

xbacklight used to work on my laptop. Now I get:

xbacklight
No outputs have backlight property

The function keys still work for dimming the display, but there seems to be no software way to do it anymore. Any help greatly appreciated.

1 Like

This update upgraded PulseAudio from 14.2 to 15.0

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Notes/15.0/

With this PA has made absolute volume feature of bluetooth audio enabled by default. It messed up all my bt speakers that don’t support absolute volume.

Documented solution:

This feature can be disabled by passing avrcp_absolute_volume=false to module-bluetooth-discover in the default.pa configuration file.

default.pa can be found at /etc/pulse/default.pa

4 Likes

I have an issue with copy paste on KDE. Most of the time when I try to paste, the information go to the paste-bin but i can’t paste it back to another window… I have to select the texte and use right click instead of ctrl-c but sometime it work’s ok… do you have any suggestion on what to do to figure out the culprit?

after a few reboot the issue disapeared!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Similar (or even better) functionality with Redshift and Redshifter

I use KDE, 2 devices updated without issues, but on the 3rd, Latte Dock did not appear anymore after the reboot. To fix the issue, it was simple. Backup the config files from the home user folder, delete them, then Latte Dock successfully launches with the default configuration and you can reimport the saved settings/configuration.

1 Like

With this update, all my screens got renamed.

eDP1 => eDP-1
DP1-1 => DP-1-1

and so on.
I still have not found out why. Driver?

What is the output of the command in terminal:

for p in /sys/class/drm/*/status; do con=${p%/status}; echo -n "${con#*/card?-}: "; cat $p; done

Linux kernel defined which name of monitor-connection in your device.

Same issue here with i915.

Checked Xorg logfile. It seems like the modesetting driver is used as fallback. Usually it’s i915.

In gnome edition the Dock is too much up/away from the screen’s edge… It should be closer to the edge of the screen.

My laptop slows down to a crawl. Have narrowed it down to extra/xorg-server, extra/xorg-server-common. Downgraded and for now those are added to the no updates blacklist.

Any pointers appreciated.

1 Like

Can this be changed back to i915 without rolling back before the update??

I just updated. For reasons i don’t know, the systemd service for wpa_supplicant was disabled :thinking: . Wifi went limp after i rebooted, completely missing from the taskbar. To fix this, i just enabled it again: sudo systemctl enable wpa_supplicant. Then, i rebooted and continued on my merry day.

Has anyone had any solution to the no audio since the last update?
The “rm ~/.config/pulse/*.tdb ~/.config/pulse/cookie” doesn’t do anything for me.
Funny thing, it detects any other audio device but my onboard sound device which I’m using

I experienced a big performance change, much slower, running either GTK benchmark, GKTperf or the GPU Drawing benchmark in Hardinfo. Downgrading xorg-server from 1.20.13-3 to 1.20.13-1 restored performance.

I also have severe performance issues since installing the latest upgrade. It’s so bad the laptop is unusable, but they can be avoided by disabling the compositor or setting the backend to XRender. :frowning:

Running KDE with kernel 5.13.12-1-MANJARO on an Intel Core i7-8550U with integrated GPU.

Same problem here. xbacklight not working, neither work the function keys.
Also I am not able to hot plug the hdmi cable for the secondary display, but I have to logout and login back. The secondary screen position and resolution have changed as well!

Manjaro Openbox user here!
xbacklight not working, neither work the function keys.
Also I am not able to hot plug the hdmi cable for the secondary display, but I have to logout and login back. The secondary screen position and resolution have changed as well.

Turns out, my issues were coming from using opengl v2.
changed that to opengl 3.1 and KDE is happy again.
It’s even more snappy now than before if anything…

No difference for me. Both 3.1 and 2.0 are extremely slow, only XRender works.

1 Like