[Stable Update] 2021-06-14 - Kernels, Browsers, Mesa, Deepin, Systemd, Gnome Apps 40.2, Pipewire, Haskell

No, manjaro-system is doing it for you automatically. We only want to be very transparent in how we deal with the issue and what the issue actually is.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! After many update-grub tries, this finally worked!

Thank you for all the work. I had to move to 5.13 this morning because of the kernel panic but seeing that you fixed the issue is awesome!

Updating in the bare console (Ctrl-Alt-F2), I doubt that this is affected.

How do I know what system I use? Silly as it neems…I can get to any info except the system number.
I run 4.19 and that one fails to boot up in a certain system…
Thanks
Melissa

We don’t test all kernel series. See also here. I might find time to do a git-bisect this week to see what changed on 4.19 kernel series and why it won’t boot on v248 systemd. Please use a different kernel like linux414 or linux510.

Perfectly super. I just wanted to prepare for the update, I always do that:

• read up
  • read the forum post
  • make a snapshot
  • make backups
  • do the upgrade in a console (Ctrl-Alt-F2)
    I love Manjaro.

Eh, it’s okay, I need to tweak the kernels anyway. Still have to clean the 5.9 off as well. Let me read up on which one of the suggestions is the best for me :slight_smile:
Just happy I know beforehand so I can make arrangements :wink:
Be well, be safe…
Lov’ ya
:rose: Melissa :rose:

3 Likes

I’d say if you regard stability, linux-510 would be your best bet. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

what about 5.12?

For me the security risk looks like it is related to ARM, maybe im wrong… but ARM is for Smartphone’s right? I don’t see any relations to a Manjaro PC OS.

5.12 is the latest stable, whereas 5.10 is the latest LTS. That’s why the suggestion was made. Context. :wink:

2 Likes

I got it :slight_smile:
But i didn’t face with some troubles in 5.12, that’s why i asked about 5.12

isn’t x86_64 architecture, “regular” manjaro?

“Installations of the pre-built Manjaro ARM images previous to 21.06 or
Manjaro x86_64 ISOs previous to 21.0.6 can be tricked into installing
maliciously signed packages by a network attacker, leading to code
execution as root.”

because the names are too similar maybe?

I gave kernel 5.10 a go and it ran properly. Then I ran these updates, and now it doesn’t boot. I see the boot scroll messages (I don’t like silent grub) and then it gets stuck in a black screen and I don’t even see LightDM. Ctrl Alt F* does nothing. I uncommented the lz4 option mentioned earlier in the thread but I’m not even sure that matters in this context.

5.4 still works.

Just use the kernel which works for you @Cheker. I only saw that linux419 won’t boot with systemd

2 Likes

The ones declared “LTS” and “recommended” you should … hm?

1 Like

@b_quest If you have time for Kernel testing do it and repote bugs / issues to Manjaro. :wink:

But it’s better to use Kernel which are nearly on upstream 5.4, 5.10 and later

Only 4.9 and 4.19 on system here, so boot up was borked but could log in to console as root - no network connectivity.

While using another functioning linux on a different partition on same disk,I had to download the 510 kernel package from a mirror, Then, copied the file to home dir on the manjaro partion while still in the other linux.

Then logged in as root from the borked manjaro boot up.

pamac install ./linux510-5.10.42-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

It worked.
(I had to do it this way because there was no network connectivity and minimal functionality when logged in as root from a console window.)

One of the nice things about manjaro is the ease of switching between kernels. I’d recommend checking out The Linux Kernel Archives - Releases
and then personally I make sure I have the Latest LTS and one LTS back in case there are issues and then I like to run the current stable kernel.

So in my Case I run on 5.12 and then have both 5.10 and 5.4 in case I need to fall back to another kernel. I’d always recommend having a 1 backup working kernel to fall back onto (can just make it easier so you don’t have to create a boot media if you run into trouble with a new update to a kernel). So in your case keep your 4.14 kernel and maybe give 5.10 a try. If you have issues just select the 4.14 kernel, remove the 5.10 and try the 5.4 and then remove the kernel that doesn’t work and move down a kernel. Really as long as everything works for you then you should be fine but that link above will give you an idea of how long you can be on a kernel. So for instance in the case of the 4.14 kernel it’s projected EOL is January 2024. So when that time rolls around you want to make sure you are on a supported kernel before it gets removed.

If you haven’t changed kernels in manjaro before the easiest way is to use the gui. Just open up the Manjaro Settings Manager application, select the kernel under system options. Then from that list you can manage the kernels that are installed on your system. Just by clicking install or remove for whatever kernels you’d like to install or remove.

2 Likes