[Stable Update] 2021-06-07 - Kernels, Perl, Haskell, Tesseract, Cutefish, KDE, Nvidia

Neither simply entering IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 on the command line nor adding it to /etc/environment before executing the dkms to compile the nvidia kernel modules worked for me.

I got the same error 2 or 10 return codes because of GCC version mismatch.

The installation of the 5.10 kernel as suggested by @GokuSan ([Stable Update] 2021-06-07 - Kernels, Perl, Haskell, Tesseract, Cutefish, KDE, Nvidia - #81 by GokuSan) didn’t work either. Same problem: GCC version check failed

What worked for me:

I downgraded gcc to the version, with which the kernel (in my case 5.4) had been compiled. Which was 10.2.x and had been upgraded to 11.1.x during the updates.
For the downgrade I used this here: Downgrading packages - Manjaro

The tricky bit with using downgrade was: I had to specify both gcc AND gcc-libs at the same time, because downgrade apparently isn’t able to handle the dependencies on its own:
downgrade gcc gcc-libs

Just running downgrade gcc on its own did NOT work.

(I did not choose to add the packages to the ignore list so they should be included in the next updates I do.)

After the downgrade the dkms compile worked all fine like this:
dkms install --no-depmod -m nvidia -v 340.108 -k 5.4.123-1-MANJARO

2 Likes

Or you can try this which might be less hassle: [Stable Update] 2021-06-07 - Kernels, Perl, Haskell, Tesseract, Cutefish, KDE, Nvidia - #128 by eph

You might try this: [Stable Update] 2021-06-07 - Kernels, Perl, Haskell, Tesseract, Cutefish, KDE, Nvidia - #128 by eph

If the above doesn’t work for you, maybe try temporarily downgrading gcc like this: [Stable Update] 2021-06-07 - Kernels, Perl, Haskell, Tesseract, Cutefish, KDE, Nvidia - #128 by eph

Glad you solved it temporarily.
I already have both 5.4 and 5.10 working with gcc 11.1 and nvidia-340-xx. I made backup with timeshift in case something unexpected happens.
I hope the next update runs smooth.

Cheers… :beer:

This worked for me (dkms nvidia340xx, booted into linux510 built with gcc10) permanently without rebooting after the update borked linux54 and linux510 by building with gcc11.Using pamac:

• remove (broken) linux54&headers
  • downgrade gcc&gcc-lib to 10
  • reinstall linux54&headers (built with gcc10)
    No dkms errors?
  • reboot into linux54 (built with gcc10)
  • remove (broken) linux510&headers
  • reboot into linux54 (built with gcc10)
  • remove the downgrade entry for gcc&gcc-lib and update to gcc11
  • install linux510&headers
    No dkms errors?
  • reboot into linux510 (built with gcc11)
  • remove linux54&headers (built with gcc10)
  • reboot into linux510 (built with gcc11)
  • install linux54&headers (built with gcc11)
    No dkms errors?

You can again reboot into both kernels (built with gcc11)!

Thanks GokuSan and eph, great work.

1 Like