[Stable Update] 2021-04-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Wine, Plasma5, KDE Frameworks, LibreOffice, Bluez

Permit me to add another minor glitch and the solution for it. From this upgrade on, Firefox doesn’t automatically upgrade the language package. You can correct it by opening the preferences, going to language and appearance and downloading your language support from there. You’ll need to do it again for today’s Firefox 88 update.

After this update the system is unusable (in my case). Gnome randomly freezes or gets stuck in running apps view (I have no idea how it is called. The view after Super key press). I did a fresh install because I have seen it is a new release, but I am experiencing the same issues.
I’m running dual display setup. Manjaro is installed on ThinkPad E595 with Ryzen 7 3700u.
Kernel 5.10
I have no idea what info should I write here.

1 Like

The ‘Dash To panel’ extension has a bug, it doesn’t work very well with the touchscreen. The system freezes when two applications are executed one after the other via the taskbar (for example: Terminal and the text editor). With ‘Dash to Dock’ extension, it is perfect.

I thought my issue was with the updates from Gnome 40 apps, but it isn’t. Mea culpa. I have done all the latest updates (including Gnome 40 apps), and I have not encountered any problems (no system freezes) on my 2-in-1 laptop.

No new issues, but previous ones persist:

Trash icon/popup menu in XFCE 4.16.6 out of sync with its contents.

“Control features” of Bluetooth earphones (start/stop when they are touched or adjusted) lock out USB keyboard until earphones are shut off by putting them in their case.

The former has been fixed in XFCE 4.16.7, and manually deleting from Trash is the workaround. The latter is so specific, I don’t know where to look it up.

Thanks for the update!

For the ones asking: Firefox went from my previously chosen Portuguese language (Pt-pt) to the US English one. I had to manually chose the Portuguese language there again.

I had to downgrade spyder too, using:

sudo downgrade spyder
sudo downgrade python-spyder-kernels

(the first from 5.0.0 to 4.2.5 and the second from 2.0.1 to 1.10.2)

Otherwise, got the error message:

No QCoreApplication instance found. Application patches not applied. You have to call load_stylesheet function after instantiation of QApplication to take effect. 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spyder/app/mainwindow.py", line 2146, in create_window
    main.setup()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spyder/app/mainwindow.py", line 810, in setup
    CONF.set('help', 'css_path', css_path)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'css_path' referenced before assignment

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/spyder", line 33, in <module>
    sys.exit(load_entry_point('spyder==5.0.0', 'gui_scripts', 'spyder')())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spyder/app/start.py", line 213, in main
    mainwindow.main(options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spyder/app/mainwindow.py", line 2293, in main
    mainwindow = create_window(app, splash, options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spyder/app/mainwindow.py", line 2148, in create_window
    if main.console is not None:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spyder/app/mainwindow.py", line 1159, in __getattr__
    return self.get_plugin(self._INTERNAL_PLUGINS_MAPPING[attr])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spyder/app/mainwindow.py", line 168, in get_plugin
    raise SpyderAPIError('Plugin "{}" not found!'.format(plugin_name))
spyder.api.exceptions.SpyderAPIError: Plugin "internal_console" not found!
1 Like

Can’t effectively login after update to 21.0.2 on Gnome

After updating to Manjaro 21.0.2 Ornara on Gnome I could login but only to get a frozen screen with an unmovable mouse cursor and unusable keyboard. I had to resolve to using the reset button to reboot but the behavior was persistent.
Since this happend after logging in I figured I might try to login as another user. From the graphical login screen I switched to the second console (ctrl + alt + F2) created a testuser there, switched back to the graphical login screen and tried logging in as the testuser I just had created. That didn’t work either, I got returned to the graphical login screen after a few seconds, but was then able to login with my normal user account.
In hindsight I guess creating the testuser was probably not what did the trick but login in at the text console probably fixed something in my homefolder, not sure about that.

Have you tried using the 5.11.14 kernel? I assume you have an integrated AMD GPU; I have a very similar notebook (E495, same CPU) and something very similar happened to me after April 9th’s update (only that I’m using KDE instead of GNOME).

I wrote a post at this forum and I think I solved it by doing a kernel upgrade there. My guess is that a very recent commit at 5.11 kernel solved some page fault overflows (which was a very common error in my case, and may be in yours). You can read the whole post if you want to, or contribute with your experience! Maybe someone else can help you there. But TL;DR try using the 5.11.14 kernel, hopefully it helps you.

I’m figuring you mean Gnome, instead of Manjaro. :wink:

2 Likes

Why wait? Why not do a Timeshift snapshot, give it a go, and find out you’re in the 95% that had no issues (maybe more - most folks don’t post if they have no issues…).

This update went well for me, and I’ve got a faster and smoother desktop than before - the 5.11 kernel helped with that I think.

I only use a program with “wine-staging” “foobar2000” In portable mode, it was not working, I renamed the .wine folder in my /home to .wine-1, started foobar2000.exe, wine started creating another config folder (.wine) and now is working again.

this question is for the developers, I do not know this

Found the problem, for me it was AMDVLK 2021.Q2.1 that was broken. When uninstalled everything is working with RADV. Now it is Wine 6.6 that mess up with controler in game, can’t use the mouse or gamepad, but it seems to be a known issue.

1 Like

Same problem here :

I’m experiencing the same issue. Where the activities view gets stuck and you can’t get out of it. I can close down apps and even launch new ones, log out etc. but you can’t interact with any application because it is stuck in Activities view. Not exactly sure what the entire “trigger” is because it doesn’t do it 100% of the time which I’m sure is how it made it’s way to stable.

I found this link where others where experiencing the same issue:

There are also several reporting freezing. It’s kind of to be expected as gnome 40 is a major change in the gnome workflow so it’s not surprising it has broken lots of extensions. That’s just the way it goes sometimes. Only thing to do is isolate the extension and then work with the extension’s author/contributors to hopefully get them working soon.

I did find that I could switch to a different TTY (Ctrl-Alt-F3) and then type the following to disable the extensions to at least allow me to get back into my system without having to restart after activities hijacks the system.

gsettings set org.gnome.shell disable-user-extensions true

Then you can either re-enable them either through the extensions app or using the following command:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell disable-user-extensions false

After log in I had a black screen, nothing could be done.

Now everything works, thank you :slight_smile:

Simply disable all extensions and use as Gnome it is designed for. Only supported extensions are those included in gnome-extensions, which are maintained by upstream directly. Since our Gnome edition holds some not yet compatible extensions, we have to hold back our shell update. However 40 shell can already been tested in our unstable branch …

2 Likes

Because I do not use Timeshift or similar because ATM I lack enough disk space for such backup strategy.

Buying and installing new disk(s) for it, means reinstalling the OS and migrating the data, which will likely cost more effort and time (which I do not have ATM) than just waiting till regressions are fixed and upgrading later.

Also I discovered another regression in the previous update:

• Windows apps on wine do not start at all, had to downgrade to wine 5.4
  • Magic Lamp of Desktop Effects / Compiz does not work as in somehow it does the fold effect.

I run Manjaro Cinnamon in virtualbox since a longer time but with the latest update cycle, 3D acceleration does not work anymore. Booting into desktop, the entire screen is white. Once I uncheck the 3D acceleration checkbox in virtualbox settings of the my VM, the desktop is fine again but I get a popup saying that running in software rendering mode which could cause higher CPU load.
The same issues happens when I boot the latest Manjaro Cinnamon Live CD ISO but the XFCE Live ISO is fine though.
Hence, some Cinnamon specific updates brake the DE in virtualbox.
I already tried many different settings in virtualbox manager but without success.

Virtualbox version 6.1.20 with extension pack 6.1.20

I use that too, but on unstable branch disable 3D acceleration as workaround