[Stable Update] 2021-04-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Wine, Plasma5, KDE Frameworks, LibreOffice, Bluez

hello,
same problem here after an update of gnome-shell-extension Night Theme Switcher today.
All Extensions were turned off.
Not sure if this is a solution for you but I removed that empty folder:
(check if folder is empty before removing)
$ rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell/extension-updates

Then I just logged out and in again. (perhaps reboot might be helpful, too)
Starting the Extension App, I switched on extension again( in the upper right corner)
and I got my ‘old’ look n feel gnome-shell configuration back.

could you please come back to me once you switched themes? would be highly appreciated!!

Lockup / system freeze on resume from suspend after update (4/18)

XFCE/LXDM - Not a display manager issue since it starts up fine. However, I get a hard freeze on resume. A real hard freeze, unblinking cursor in topleft. Nothing works, no tty, caps locks etc. Have to hit reset each time. Absolutely nothing in logs. How to troubleshoot? Thanks.

I still have a problem with Mesa/Wine/.exe tough I have found a temporary solution with a setting MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5
More: Issue with mesa after [Stable Update] 2021-04-09 - #5 by D.Dave

But why was it there in the first place?

wine works wrong, solved

Some boards are recommending downgrading back to the older MESA versions.

I have seen this command listed to do it on one of the boards, but haven’t tried it. Maybe someone who understands PACMAN better than I do can comment on whether this works or is a good idea:

"Going back to
$ pacman -Q | grep mesa
mesa 20.3.4-3

solved the issue."

Well i do not know if it is this update especially but i have an annoying issue with Framerates in Browsers now.

Firefox and chromium now drop A LOT of frames during 1440p Video playback ( basically every second frame is dropped). It is way less on 720p but still some frames dropped.

Did the kernel built in AMD drivers change? I’m using right now an old crappy HD 5350 passiv cooled card as my VEGA 64 is actually used by my brother as right now prices for grafics cards are through the roof. I thought this old card should at least support browsing :(.

Hi @Algo,

I think for this issue you should start a new thread.

For that thread, provide the output of:

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width

I suspect it’s a hardware limitation. Especially since you say it’s better at a lower resolution. And that might not make sense, unless you keep in mind that for a 1080p video your graphics card has to render that along with the rest of your desktop, so it’s not just the video, but your normal screen(s) and the video.

@Mirdarthos OK i’ll do that … but it worked just fine not long ago with the same hardware, but perhaps somebody has a hint or i have to live with it till graphics cards are affordable again.

Sadly, I think this is the way to go…yeah, it’s sad, I know.

Well i’m not really satisfied with that as it seemed to work just fine … perhaps i try to downgrade the Kernel e.g. use 5.9 or 5.10 instaed of 5.11

That is rather a wonderful idea, yes! Do that and check.

The same is happening on my laptop for Google Chrome

If you’re going to downgrade Kernel, I recommend you the 5.10 once it is an LTS one. At least you’ll receive bug fixes and some mostly peripheral hardware upgrades till late 2022, I believe.

Permit me to add another minor glitch and the solution for it. From this upgrade on, Firefox doesn’t automatically upgrade the language package. You can correct it by opening the preferences, going to language and appearance and downloading your language support from there. You’ll need to do it again for today’s Firefox 88 update.

After this update the system is unusable (in my case). Gnome randomly freezes or gets stuck in running apps view (I have no idea how it is called. The view after Super key press). I did a fresh install because I have seen it is a new release, but I am experiencing the same issues.
I’m running dual display setup. Manjaro is installed on ThinkPad E595 with Ryzen 7 3700u.
Kernel 5.10
I have no idea what info should I write here.

1 Like

The ‘Dash To panel’ extension has a bug, it doesn’t work very well with the touchscreen. The system freezes when two applications are executed one after the other via the taskbar (for example: Terminal and the text editor). With ‘Dash to Dock’ extension, it is perfect.

I thought my issue was with the updates from Gnome 40 apps, but it isn’t. Mea culpa. I have done all the latest updates (including Gnome 40 apps), and I have not encountered any problems (no system freezes) on my 2-in-1 laptop.

No new issues, but previous ones persist:

Trash icon/popup menu in XFCE 4.16.6 out of sync with its contents.

“Control features” of Bluetooth earphones (start/stop when they are touched or adjusted) lock out USB keyboard until earphones are shut off by putting them in their case.

The former has been fixed in XFCE 4.16.7, and manually deleting from Trash is the workaround. The latter is so specific, I don’t know where to look it up.

Thanks for the update!

For the ones asking: Firefox went from my previously chosen Portuguese language (Pt-pt) to the US English one. I had to manually chose the Portuguese language there again.