[Stable Update] 2021-02-28 - Kernels, Plasma 5.21.1, Frameworks 5.79, Firefox, Thunderbird, Python

I thought that the problem of having to keep selecting the right audio channel every time I turn on the PC was going to be solved but the problem still persists

I seems to be getting an odd issue that hasn’t been reported here yet. On KDE, with kernel 5.11, the compositor keeps crashing and needs restarting after locking the screen and one of three screens also disconnects at the same time.

Edit: I read the thread too quicky and I noticed some users with a similar/possibly related issues

I have a related issue regarding the compositor. The compositor seems to crash every time I lock my computer and I see some graphical glitches at times. Do you have several displays ? It seems that the compositor in KDE has some minor issues in this update.

1 Like

In /etc/fstab I mount a directory with cifs and in options I use a credential file:

//nas.example.com/share1/ /var/run/media/axel/share1 cifs credentials=/home/axel/.smbcredentials,uid=axel,vers=2.0,... 0 0

My password contains a comma. Up to kernel 5.10 the mount [share|directory] works fine.
With kernel 5.11 the mount command shows the error
unknown parameter [password-part-behind-comma]

I went back to kernel 5.10.

Eeeing as kernel 5.10 is the next LTS anyway, it seems to me it’s better this way anyway.

I can confirm this, the lock screen sometimes crash all plasmashell.
Yes I use two monitors with different resolutions and use the multi-screen in kde

I created one topic for my kde bug here, if someone found some fix please tell me there because It’s more easy for future users in Manjaro

1 Like

I have this issue as well. KDE lock then unlock crashes compositor. Not always, seems dependent on how long it has been locked.

Using X with AMD RX 5700 XT.

To restart compositing: SHIFT+ALT+F12

1 Like

So you are using a laptop? I’ve never had luck with linux / suspend function. I’ve never wanted a laptop. I use a desktop and remove the physical wire from the motherboard - that way - no suspend. Pressing the physical button does nothing and the software button returns null.

Same, I’ve noticed that this issue happens after leaving my computer locked for a while (no idea how long, I’ll do some testing). Restarting compositing fixes the issue.

Using X with AMD RX 5500XT

I use three monitors with different resolutions. I’ll disconnect two of them to see if the crash still happens.

Thanks for the topic!

have you tried caffeine? its a small app - keeps you logged in and no screensaver until you disable. small app with big function. right click from the taskbar and you’re done.

No, not a laptop, a full-sized tower system. Which is why suspend is of no use to me even if it worked.

1 Like

I have a desktop and suspend every night :thinking: No issues so far.

Solution for pulseeffects here: What is the correct way to install package “manjaro-pipewire”? - #7 by kagetora13

2 Likes

Hi,
I have the same problem with screen sharing.
Could you describe how to perform the downgrade of pipewire?

I found a better solution/ workaround:
Accoring to this bug report in the Pipewire repo if you uncomment the “metadata” module in the default section of the file /etc/pipewire/media-session.d/media-session.conf and restart the pipewire service with systemctl --user restart pipewire.service it works again :partying_face:

4 Likes

Ooops, didn’t stand reboot:

$ pulseeffects

(pulseeffects:193857): pulseeffects-ERROR **: 13:56:18.866: pipe_manager: context connection failed
Trappe pour point d'arrêt et de trace (core dumped)

Smooth update on my Tuxedo Pulse 15 (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H + iGPU) with Manjaro KDE. The new application launcher with dark theme really is something pretty!

Once again, thanks Manjaro Team! :clap:

I suspect the EOL to mean that there are no more updates. You can (suggestion) delete the kernel (after you selected an other one, of course) of just use is as long as it lasts…

Hi Guys,

An error message (a pop-up window) began appearing since yesterday, when I tried to run a VM image in VirtualBox saying "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908). The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing '/sbin/vboxconfig' as root."

However that command is not available at Manjaro, so I searched our forum for a solution to the issue. A post from @linux-aarhus had what I was looking for:

[root tip] VirtualBox - Installation - USB - Shared Folder

If you look at the part a little before “Load kernel modules”, you will see the answer:

So, I’ve installed the missing modules and run the command sudo vboxreload. Now everything is back to normal.

Thanks a lot Frede (@linux-aarhus)!

Is the extra hard drive space worth suspend? I mean how long does it take to boot up? It takes less than 30 seconds here. I see people post all the time about long boot times. If I feel like turning the box off - it goes off. If I want it to stay on all night - it stays on all night. If I had long start up boot time - I could see reconsidering.