[Stable Update] 2021-01-19 - Kernels, XFCE, Plasma, PulseAudio, Pipewire, Mesa, Firefox, Thunderbird, KDE Apps

Yes. I only get errors.

The variety background image program (installed from the Manjaro Linux community repository) lost a little bit of functionality with the new XFCE 4.16.

Before the new XFCE update I was able to use the scroll wheel while the mouse cursor rests on the variety tray icon to switch background images. With XFCE 4.16 scrolling the mouse wheel on the icon doesnā€™t do anything anymore.

1 Like

Same here, no microphone after update (Laptop with AMD Renoir 4600U).
Booting from Kernel 5.9 brings the microphone back.
Issue was introduced after 5.10.2, as far as I can tell, since prior to this update the microphone still workedā€¦

Hi.

Iā€™ve noticed something today.

I have a few launchers for my favourites programs separated by categories, each one in a different folder. Before the update the launchers have the ā€œ.desktopā€ part of their names hidden so when I opened the folders I could see a set of icons with their names in the same way they appear when they sit in the desktop, but after the update all icons in those folders show the ā€œ.desktopā€ part. The desktopā€™s icons are hiding that part from the names as expected, though.

If I remove the ā€œ.desktopā€ from the names, the launchers in the folders stop working.

I know that it is not a big deal, but when possible if the Manjaro team could have a look in this matter I would be glad.

Thanks!

This, to me, sounds like a directory display configuration issue.

Granted, I do not use XFCE and neither do I hide my file extensions. It seems like a folder display configuration issue. And with XFCE having gotten the major update, it might very well be that some of the defaults got changed.

With that in mind, I recommend checking if an individual folders display properties can be adjusted. AFAIK this can be customized in KDE/Dolphin, and the settings reside in a .directory file in the root of the directory.

Iā€™m having issues with my MDADM RAID. It does not sync the discs properly anymore with Kernel 5.10.7 and 5.11.rc3. I think there is a fix included in 5.10.8. So far I kept kernel 5.9, but this update broke it (now I am on 5.4, which still works flawlessly).

Booting kernels 5.10 and 5.11 works fine, but I get issues with onedrive and sometimes I cannot shut it down anymore, but the error message changes each time. So far I remember seeing

• Couldnā€™t unmount /tmp
  • Kernel Panic
  • mdadm: Cannot get exclusive access to /dev/md127 :Perhaps a running process, mounted filesystem or active volume group?

Booting kernel 5.9 does not work anymore. I get

Failed to mount NFSD configuration filesystem.
Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Failed to mount /boot/efi
Failed to mount RPC Pipe File System.

and some [DEPEND] errors. It goes into emergency mode after that.

I am using pacman -Syyuu to enable downgrades, when they are available in repositories.

Thank you for your tips @Mirdarthos, but my XFCE4 does not have ā€œ.directoryā€ files. However, I do believe your are right. Something in the defaults got changed with the last update.

Currently the issue is not something that is causing me any problem other than a little visual annoyance, so I will keep using it as it is and will wait for the corrections.

Cheers.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t hold my breath if I were you.

If the defaults have changed it means it was done on purpose. And if thatā€™s the case, it is working correctly and thereā€™s no need for any corrections.

With that in mind, I recommend one of two things:

• either learn to and use it as is, like youā€™re doing now; or
  • Figure out how to customise the individual directory displsy properties and set it up with that.

I hope this helps!

Good point! I think I will do as you advised. I will keep using as it is at the moment, but I will search for a way to customise folder layouts in XFCE4.

Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

XFCE

Status Tray Plugin crashes repeatedly. Has to be removed. Cannot re-add without repeated crashes.

Favorites are missing from Menu.

I made the updates on a machine who have the Manjaro Kde version, I noticed nothing bad. Have there been any optimizations ? The system booting on the SSD is more fast yet than before.

trouble, possibly due to the nVidia being obsolete.
no graphicals
I tried manual, but it says already installed video linux
help?
Melissa
It started with the kernels and seemingly installing the free drivers
booting 4.4 gives "unrecognised mount mount optione ā€œhidepid=invisibleā€

Yes, it works for the favoritesā€¦

Hi @Mirdarthos.

I just found more information about the problem with ā€œ.desktopā€ files:

I understood that the problem is related to the use of the name= parameter within the ā€œ.desktopā€ file, that was used until now to show the fileā€™s name (as long as it had executable permission). After the update it uses only the fileā€™s name (i.e., ā€œfile_name.desktopā€). The author just said that he has no plans to put back as it was.

So, I am already searching for a replacement for Thunar.

Cheers.

At Xfce when I put shortcut on panel It randomly freeze with empty context menu. Whisker menu stilo works. Only panel freeze. I am forced to re-login.

I had to downgrade pulseaudio to 14.0 and it works:
sudo downgrader pulseaudio
sudo downgrader libpulse
sudo downgrader pulseaudio-equalizer
sudo downgrader pulseaudio-lirc
sudo downgrader pulseaudio-jack
sudo downgrader pulseaudio-rtp
sudo downgrader pulseaudio-zeroconf
sudo downgrader pulseaudio-bluetooth
sudo downgrade pulseaudio libpulse pulseaudio-bluetooth pulseaudio-zeroconf pulseaudio-jack pulseaudio-equalizer pulseaudio-lirc pulseaudio-rtp

Iā€™m a little bit curious.
What the icon look like to you?
Because I was using the menda circle icons, and after the update the icons in the favorite menu would still display the GNOME theme icons, while still having menda circle icons on the rest of the UI.

I think this started with the update but am not 100% positive as Iā€™d only just joined as a new manjaro user a few days before and was still setting up my machine when the big update landed.

Anyway, I appear to have something creating multiple processes per second and my PID count after just 2 days is knocking on for 200,000

[subbass@subbass-z390-ud logs]$ ps
    PID TTY          TIME CMD
 153201 pts/2    00:00:00 bash
 165844 pts/2    00:00:00 ps

I canā€™t for the life of me work out what is going on, machine performance seems fine in other regards, Iā€™m just worried about all these PIDā€™s writing to disk /proc/ ā€¦ There seems to be a lot of kworker threads, more than I think Iā€™ve noticed before.

I also had to add ā€œaudit=0ā€ to grub command line as dmesg was getting flooded with some sort of PAM message just saying something was a ā€œsuccessā€, Iā€™ll re-enable auditing if that message might be helpful with the PID problem.

Hi @subbass, and welcome!

To be honest, I donā€™t think you need to worry. My computer has only been on for ~5 hours and I already have close to 85 000 PIDā€™s.

$ ps
PID TTY          TIME CMD
13793 pts/2    00:00:01 zsh
84779 pts/2    00:00:00 ps

We should always remember, even is we arenā€™t using the computer, doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not doing anything.

I donā€™t think itā€™ll have any affect on you computer. Itā€™s not having any on mine.

1 Like