[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

kdesu meld

1 Like

I just ran this update and it automatically removed kernels 5.7 and 5.8, then installed kernel 5.10 without prompting. Has something changed as I am used to manually removing outdated kernels and picking which newer one I install.

I can confirm the new kernel 5.10.5 and the new nvidia driver 460 both fix the HDMI issue ,both are on testing branch and it will land on stable eventually.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, freggel.doe
Stable users have to wait until KIO gets udated to 5.78 as this update fixes this bug:
Dolphin & Krusader crash when selecting “Apply to All” in “Folder Already Exists” prompt.

Both 5.7 and 5.8 are EOL (End Of Life) and removed from the repos. I guess the package linux-latest did the change to 5.10. If you do not want that, you need to remove the package, but then: pay attention to the update announcements. They have the status of each kernel. If one goes EOL it needs to be removed (while not running it at the same time). Alternative: stay on the last LTS kernel.

I don’t have linux-latest installed precisely for the reason that I like to manually control my kernel versions, hence why I am very confused about why kernels were removed and added without my input.

Oh that’s interesting. Maybe some kind of newer logic in order to avoid braking the system when EOL kernels are gone. But that’s pure speculation from my side.

Yes. Ever heard of “all systems go!”? Well, it can’t go if they’re braked, it is to stop them from braking or somehow beaing brakee. :wink::grin:

With some trepidation I tried to update but encountered the nvidia driver issues. Installed Linux 5.10 which removed old driver versions, ran the update again and encountered no issues. Running on an Asus 530 laptop. Thanks to all for their hard work during these troubling times.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Tuned 2.15.0-1 broken by python3.9.1-1

Thanks for your work.
This update broke something for BCM4352 (network-broadcom-wl).
xfce Icon says «device is not ready».
dmesg | grep wl told some «operation not permitted» somewhere (sorry I didn’t save that).
So I’ve updated kernel to 5.9 and now is working.
If any info is needed I can reboot 5.4 and log it.

Just a reminder: That kernel is EOL. If you have to use a newer kernel checkout 5.10.

5.10 have problems with Nvidia drivers and btrfs so 
 it is a choice. Until they fix it I will stay with 5.9.

Not sure where you are getting that information. The BTRFS issue has been resolved in the version of the 5.10 kernel being used here and there is no issue with 5.10 and the latest nvidia drivers, I am running 5.10, with latest nvidia drivers, and use BTRFS and there are no issues at this time.

Running 5.10 with latest nvidia and use BTRFS, also no issues to report.

Yes it works but no power management and I am on laptop and with 5.9 Nvidia card is completely off. BTRFS fix is temporary patch pulled from kernel mailing list, and bug will be fixed in 5.11. I am reading other forums too.

The first issue should be solved by the latest driver.

1 Like

getting this error when updating packages
can’t find linux-latest-nvidia-430xx

One of the changes in /etc/default/grub.pacnew compared to my setup was to uncomment GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true. I am using btrfs and apparently there is some problem with grub writing to an fs with subvolumes mentioned in this very old askubuntu thread.

The first reboot was fine. However, after subsequent hibernation, I received “Sparse file not allowed” error after the grub splash screen. It also mentioned “Press any key to continue
” but pressing any key had no results.

I was able to recover by booting into one of the fallback options, commenting out GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true in /etc/default/grub, and updating grub with update-grub.

Other than that, everything works fine. I did not need the AMD grub workaround even though I have an AMD GPU.

1 Like

Hi, @Dokan1
Did you tried with sudo dmesg | grep wl_
Regards