[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

@darius
I’m not a linux expert enough to advise on how to recover from your situation. Hopefully someone else can help.
My suggestion - since it’s only your second week of using Manjaro - it to boot with the latest Live USB of Manjaro which should give you access to your home directory to copy its contents to an external drive. Then reinstall Manjaro from scratch - and this time set up regular snapshots in Timeshift - especially before an upgrade/update.
By using Manjaro or Arch - which are rolling update distros - you should realize that updates/upgrades will sometimes break things to different degrees - therefore having a complete backup before an update is a requirement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Machine was running on 5.9, with nVidia 390 and KDE.
Update via pacman without any problems (the update installed kernel 5.10).
But after the update I rebooted with 5.10 and got a black screen.
Then booted with 5.9 and removed 5.10 and reinstalled again (linux510, linux510-nvidia-390xx).
Now I can boot with 5.10 and everything works fine so far.

@taylormia Thank you. I will start doing that right now! :slight_smile: Already mounted the drive from live USB and working on it!

Lesson learned! Thanks :slight_smile:

me the same suddenly after updating my system on linux59…the install kernel… suddenly linux54-broadcom-wl was a no go. tried half a dozen things but eventually gave up and had to install 419 kernel which works fine and is lts so should get security upgrades. guess someone has fiddled with linux54…again. I mean for me anything past 57 doesn’t work with bumblebee/optimus-nvidia so losing linux54 was a blow. solution for me was install 419 and get a life. it would be nice to know why though.

1 Like

Standby/hibernation is broken in kernel 5.10.2-2, guess I have to stay on 5.9.16 until it gets fixed - or is there something I can do about it?

Hello, just documenting my experience. Installing the update and rebooting, I was left with the blank screen and blinking cursor. I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card. I tried following the steps in the second post, directing to press ctrl + alt +F2 at the blinking cursor to get into a terminal. I then proceeded to execute all the Nvidia suggestions in the second post, to no avail. I received errors stating that the nvidia-455xx-utils and nvidia-utils packages were in conflict. I then tried uninstalling the nvidia-utils package, uninstalling the nvidia-455xx-utils package, reinstalling the nvidia-utils package and then reinstalling the nvidia-455xx-utils package, rebooting after each action. None of these configurations worked. Installing the Nouveau drivers through MHWD did not work.

The solution was to remove nvidia via sudo pacman -R linux59-nvidia-455xx and install the Nouveau drivers through pacman, sudo pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau. I just hope this post helps out some poor, sorry soul that has been left with an unusable GUI as a result of this Nvidia debacle.

Oops. Accidentally pressed CTRL-C in the middle of pacman upgrade … and not sure if this might have effd something up or not and/or how to run the initcpios thing again manually…:

(12/35) Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.10.2-2-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 5.10.2-2-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img
^C
Interrupt signal received
error: command failed to execute correctly
(13/35) Updating Grub-Bootmenu

it did continue though and finished update…

tried to run sudo /usr/share/libalpm/scripts/mkinitcpio-install (found the command in /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/90-mkinitcpio-install.hook) manually afterwards, nothing seemed to happen :frowning:

sudo mkinitcpio -P

1 Like

I got ttf-nerd-fonts-symbols and nerd-fonts-terminus are in conflict. Nerd-fonts-terminus is a dependency required by manjaro-i3-settings and manjaro-ranger-settings. I had to uninstall both and install i3-gaps and the rest manually before updating.

Brightness keys didn’t work in 5.10, even xbacklight doesn’t help. I resorted to using the light package and I think I’m good for now.

I also got issues with Nvidia but I managed to resolve them.

Not anymore. Fixed with nerd-fonts-terminus 2.10-4.

1 Like

I had two problems, I fixed both:

• My grub cryptoboot failed with the message “cryptouuid not found”. I had to disconnect my external hard drive to make it work again.
  • My X didn’t start, the rolling NVidia drivers weren’t installed for the new kernel 5.10. I installed them afterwards.

Update went fine. However now there is this periodic click sound in speakers. Also there is this new thing in journald (this has been only once so far and doesn’t correlate with clicks):

jaan  02 08:32:22 Zen pulseaudio[1490]: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write.
jaan  02 08:32:22 Zen pulseaudio[1490]: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
jaan  02 08:32:22 Zen pulseaudio[1490]: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.

kernel 5.10

Hi, I recently updated my system, but after an update, I just noticed that the apps installed via snap doesn’t open.
I tried using terminal, and i get an error saying

> subl
cannot query current apparmor profile: Invalid argument

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Switching to kernel 5.10 solves the issue

Thank you for this advise.

Do you know, if this issue will be fixed soon?
(I ask because I experience the same problem. But in the following post someone stated that he/she could not log in into the system anymore:

[Can't shutdown the system / hangs at black screen]

If the problem is fixed soon, I would wait some days for this update. But if a fix will be there in two or three month, I would try your solution… I simply do not like to reinstall my system (and spend a lot of time) when this will be fixed soon. (Yes, I am lazy.))

Mod-edit: Output formatting.
Please use correct formatting and don’t combine output of different commands, it will make them unnoticed.

Hello,
After update i got issues with Nvidia drivers, i remove old ones and reinstall new one - that works.

But problem is with no HDMI output device. It completly disapier from iommu group after update. Radeon graphic still has HDMI audio node.

IOMMU Group 16 09:00.1 Audio device [0403]  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470 480  570 580 590] [1002:aaf0]
IOMMU Group 17 0a:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin/RavenRaven2 PCIe Dummy Function [1022:145a]
IOMMU Group 36 42:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981 PM981 PM983 [144d:a808]
IOMMU Group 37 43:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] [10de:1b06] (rev a1)
IOMMU Group 38 44:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] [10de:13c2] (rev a1)
IOMMU Group 39 45:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin/RavenRaven2 PCIe Dummy Function [1022:145a]
>  mhwd -li
Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
> inxi -G
Graphics  Device-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470 480 570 570X 580 580X 590] driver: vfio-pci 
           v: 0.2 
           Device-2 NVIDIA GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] driver vfio-pci v 0.2 
           Device-3 NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] driver nvidia v 455.45.01 
           Display x11 server XOrg 1.20.10 driver: nvidia resolution 1920x1080~280Hz 
           OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 v 4.6.0 NVIDIA 455.45.01 

journalctl -b | grep iommu

sty 02 10:17:43 pc kernel: pci 0000:43:00.1: Removing from iommu group 37
sty 02 10:17:43 pc kernel: pci 0000:44:00.1: Removing from iommu group 38

@philm please help with this one. Thanks

Cannot launch mugshot. "AttributeError: ‘ElementTree’ objects Has no attribute ‘getiterator’

This thread is not for trouble-shooting, please open a thread for you problem :wink:

Same here. Found this: #976245 - mugshot: Muhshot fails with AttributeError: 'ElementTree' object has no attribute 'getiterator' in console - Debian Bug report logs

mugshot is fixed. Wait for the update.