[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

Just performed an incremental update on Manjaro XFCE using Ryzen 3600 and RTX 3070 on X570 board. Upgraded from 5.9 kernel to 5.10 after I confirmed the update was successful, and that was also fine. Thanks for the hard work. I was worried this update would cause some issues after seeing threads on Reddit. But happy to confirm it was all fine after all :slight_smile:

I already tried france, germany, usa, italy… none of them has worked…

@mikronimo, try this:

sudo pacman-mirrors --country all --api --protocols all --set-branch stable && sudo pacman -Syyu

This resets your mirrors and initiates the update process.

2 Likes

Is it the Pamac update/upgrade lately that changed something in the UI? For the second time a big update was sneaked in while I was installing an application, that aborted with an error. After rebooting I was met with an kernel panic.

Now I learned how to fix that, with an update, overwriting an gstreamer file and installing LTS kernel, with chroot and livebooting :grin: … thanks forum!

@RichardF77
Here’s how I fixed it. I was on kernel 5.9.11 before the update

1. Restored from Timeshift backup.
  2. Went into Pamac and uninstalled ALL the Nvidia drivers . This uninstalls the nvidia 450 drivers etc. and mhwd.
  3. Did an update in Pamac - which installed the new 5.10 kernel and other updates.
  4. Rebooted - Now it boots into KDE SDDM correctly
  5. Go back into Pamac and install mhwd
  6. Then go into Manjaro Settings Manager and auto install proprietary Nvidia drivers. This installs the 455 nvidia drivers etc.
  7. Reboot and all is good.

Hope this helps.

I published a way on how to compile old Nvidia drivers on your own.

5 Likes

Dear all,

what I can told about my manjaro-kde:

the only possibility to boot is via Grub using only the 5.9x img

I have lost some hours last nght including timeshift. Wasnt funny :confused:

Hopefully 2021 will be greater :wink:

Same here, exactly the same message. I however don’t use Nvidia graphics, Intel HD here. I am only in my second week of using Manjaro/Linux full time so I am clueless as to what to do. I don’t have a backup (lesson learnt…)

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to resolve this?

Dear darius,

enable timeshift. It will keep your ass :wink:

1 Like

Manjaro XFCE, geforce 210 video card: with this new update and having to uninstall the proprietary driver (version 340), I also decided to uninstall the free driver (video-linux for GT218) because it seems to conflict with GTK3 in some applications ( when the system starts, the title bar and the margin turn white and do not show the maximize, close, etc. buttons, so when uninstalling this video-linux driver the GTK3 style does not suffer problems, but unfortunately when Like video-Linux using kernels 5.9 and 5.10, manjaro suffers from slowing down when opening videos (both in chromium and in firefox) or crashes when using applications for a while (mainly related to configuration or thunar). Fortunately, all this behavior is not observed when using kernel 5.4 (apparently this anomalous behavior may be due to the KWORKER / u processes)

My system completely failed when I next tried to reboot it.

I reinstalled from scratch and now bit by bit trying to remember how to set up all the tools I used to use.

I already discovered some applications hang the computer and I don’t remember seeing that ever before. A power off and back on is the only way I know to get it running again. One was yum and the other is the default web browser. I haven’t done any diagnostics as I have more essential setups yet to go through.

@darius
I’m not a linux expert enough to advise on how to recover from your situation. Hopefully someone else can help.
My suggestion - since it’s only your second week of using Manjaro - it to boot with the latest Live USB of Manjaro which should give you access to your home directory to copy its contents to an external drive. Then reinstall Manjaro from scratch - and this time set up regular snapshots in Timeshift - especially before an upgrade/update.
By using Manjaro or Arch - which are rolling update distros - you should realize that updates/upgrades will sometimes break things to different degrees - therefore having a complete backup before an update is a requirement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Machine was running on 5.9, with nVidia 390 and KDE.
Update via pacman without any problems (the update installed kernel 5.10).
But after the update I rebooted with 5.10 and got a black screen.
Then booted with 5.9 and removed 5.10 and reinstalled again (linux510, linux510-nvidia-390xx).
Now I can boot with 5.10 and everything works fine so far.

@taylormia Thank you. I will start doing that right now! :slight_smile: Already mounted the drive from live USB and working on it!

Lesson learned! Thanks :slight_smile:

me the same suddenly after updating my system on linux59…the install kernel… suddenly linux54-broadcom-wl was a no go. tried half a dozen things but eventually gave up and had to install 419 kernel which works fine and is lts so should get security upgrades. guess someone has fiddled with linux54…again. I mean for me anything past 57 doesn’t work with bumblebee/optimus-nvidia so losing linux54 was a blow. solution for me was install 419 and get a life. it would be nice to know why though.

1 Like

Standby/hibernation is broken in kernel 5.10.2-2, guess I have to stay on 5.9.16 until it gets fixed - or is there something I can do about it?

Hello, just documenting my experience. Installing the update and rebooting, I was left with the blank screen and blinking cursor. I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card. I tried following the steps in the second post, directing to press ctrl + alt +F2 at the blinking cursor to get into a terminal. I then proceeded to execute all the Nvidia suggestions in the second post, to no avail. I received errors stating that the nvidia-455xx-utils and nvidia-utils packages were in conflict. I then tried uninstalling the nvidia-utils package, uninstalling the nvidia-455xx-utils package, reinstalling the nvidia-utils package and then reinstalling the nvidia-455xx-utils package, rebooting after each action. None of these configurations worked. Installing the Nouveau drivers through MHWD did not work.

The solution was to remove nvidia via sudo pacman -R linux59-nvidia-455xx and install the Nouveau drivers through pacman, sudo pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau. I just hope this post helps out some poor, sorry soul that has been left with an unusable GUI as a result of this Nvidia debacle.

Oops. Accidentally pressed CTRL-C in the middle of pacman upgrade … and not sure if this might have effd something up or not and/or how to run the initcpios thing again manually…:

(12/35) Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.10.2-2-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 5.10.2-2-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img
^C
Interrupt signal received
error: command failed to execute correctly
(13/35) Updating Grub-Bootmenu

it did continue though and finished update…

tried to run sudo /usr/share/libalpm/scripts/mkinitcpio-install (found the command in /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/90-mkinitcpio-install.hook) manually afterwards, nothing seemed to happen :frowning:

sudo mkinitcpio -P

1 Like