[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

Ohhhh, It worked. Love u very much :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

1 Like

Wahooo! :partying_face:

I am happy I was able to help you, friend!! :hugs:

:innocent:

2 Likes

Cinnamon, 5.4rt all is good. Thanks!

Hi!

In the given command sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 what does 0300 mean? Is it well suited for upgrading from linux58-nvidia-440xx that I have currently installed?

Thanks!

Howdy!

This is the ClassID, which represents NVIDIA!

It is indeed suited , as this is not the driver version!

2 Likes

Thanks!

The command told me:

eroare: nu s-a găsit ținta: nvidia-455xx-utils
eroare: nu s-a găsit ținta: lib32-nvidia-455xx-utils
eroare: nu s-a găsit ținta: linux510-nvidia-455xx
eroare: nu s-a găsit ținta: linux54-nvidia-455xx
eroare: nu s-a găsit ținta: linux57-nvidia-455xx
eroare: nu s-a găsit ținta: linux58-nvidia-455xx
eroare: nu s-a găsit ținta: linux59-nvidia-455xx

(meaning “target not found: …”)

I must reboot to see if I succeeded with a version of the command posted here.

Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone know how to fix VMWARE Network failed issue after upgrading?

Just attempted to run today’s mass update and…
Ooof! That was rough.

Running:
latest nVidia 455 drivers (+ CUDA)
latest 5.10 kernel.

Rebooted after the update had completed and received the following message(s), followed by a black screen w/ blinking cursor:
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Fortunately my first-ever use of Timeshift has brought me back to life again, and obviously not feeling so eager to retry the update.

This week have project deliverables, so don’t have much time to troubleshoot… unless the solution is known/simple.

Thoughts?

Updated through the GUI package manager. Restarted, got to GRUB (I have a separate Windows drive), selected Manjaro, cannot get past my Gigabyte logo - hangs there indefinitely. Went to advanced options in GRUB, only have kernel 5.9 to select from. Not sure where to go from here.

Graphics card is NVIDIA GTX 770.

Thanks!!! That took care of the problem. Have a Happy New Year!!! :grinning:

Thanks for the reply. I updated terminator and that solved the problem. Have a Happy New Year.

1 Like

Updated a Threadripper workstation and core i9 Dell XPS 9700, both subject to conflicts with nvidia packaging changes but resolved following the advice within the thread.
The 9700 runs quite hot on AC under linux 5.10 compared to 5.9, temperatures approximately 20C higher requiring the intervention of fans. Manually switching the kernel governor to powersave has successfully reduced the temperatures. Unfortunately I’m stuck on 5.10 to enable soundwire audio and AX500 wifi support; the latter Ath11k driver crashing when attempting to connect to any 5Ghz network so currently relegated to 2.4Ghz only.

Oh come on … its not hard.
Theres even utilities for it like pacdiff … which you should probably know about on any arch-based system.

2 Likes

Did the update and it went well for most of the stuff but not for “Pelican” (static website generator) with uses python. It doesn’t work anymore. It was working well under 3.8.
3.9 wouldn’t even recognize my virtual environment. I did a:

checkrebuild -v (rebuild-detector)

No problem there. Now, Pelican dies by not finding the pelican theme (which is there).

1. How to I roll back 3.9 to 3.8?
  2. What will be needed to recompile under 3.8?

Thank you

1 Like

Don’t roll back python to 3.8 since the world is using 3.9. If you really need python3.8, consider setting up a conda environment, or build python38 from AUR.

Grub Customizer was removed during upgrade. For some reason it conflicts with the new version of GRUB.

It has been that way for a while.
PS - grub-customizer is considered broken/dangerous/incompatible.

If you must use it (please dont) then you will have to use another package like grub-vanilla

1 Like

Installed linux510 before upgrade and rebooted. Everything went fine! Thanks a bunch.

Thanks for the info.
What’s wrong with Grub Customizer? Been using it for many years without any problems.

Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true                                                                                                                
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime/MHWDCONFIG                                                     
Processing classid: 0300                                                                                                               
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300                                                                                            
:: Synchronizing package databases...                                                                                                  
warning: nvidia-prime-1.0-4 is up to date -- skipping                                                                                  
warning: lib32-nvidia-utils-455.45.01-3 is up to date -- skipping                                                                      
core is up to date                                                                                                                    
extra is up to date                                                                                                                   
community is up to date                                                                                                               
multilib is up to date                                                                                                                
resolving dependencies...                                                                                                              
looking for conflicting packages...                                                                                                    
:: nvidia-utils and nvidia-455xx-utils are in conflict (nvidia-libgl). Remove nvidia-455xx-utils? [y/N] error: unresolvable package co
nflicts detected                                                                                                                       
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)                                                                        

:: nvidia-utils and nvidia-455xx-utils are in conflict                                                                                 
Error: pacman failed!                                                                                                                  
Error: script failed!