[Stable Update] 2020-11-18 - Kernels, Plasma5, Frameworks, Thunderbird, Firefox, Mesa

Hi @vcottineau,
Thanks for your response. I should have thought of that, but sometimes I miss the simple solutions. :wink:

I don’t but others did until they found a solution:

1 Like

I had similar problems for both linux59 and linux 58. Updating sddm by solved it for me.

grub.pacnew tries to override (disable) current Manjaro grub theme GRUB_THEME, and to modify GRUB_TIMEOUT and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

What to do about this :

:: OpenVPN now uses a netlink interface for network configuration. The systemd
   units start the process with a dedicated unprivileged user 'openvpn', with
   extra capabilities(7). The configuration should no longer drop privileges,
   so remove 'user' and 'group' directives.
   Scripts that require elevated privileges may need a workaround.

I remembered, there was something inside update:

:: OpenVPN now uses a netlink interface for network configuration. The systemd
units start the process with a dedicated unprivileged user ‘openvpn’, with
extra capabilities(7). The configuration should no longer drop privileges,
so remove ‘user’ and ‘group’ directives.
Scripts that require elevated privileges may need a workaround.

Very smooth, thank you!!

Now this is interesting, will a newer .pacnew file overwrite the old .pacnew and then your regular config gets overwritten or merged automatically?

Looking at my mkinitcpio.conf it was definitely merged since the hooks look to have changed and the syntax has changed only in places from " " to ( ) There was no problem this time but it could have easily been the case.

It’s fair to say linux users should know their machine and do this stuff, especially power users like arch users but I’ve never before been told this - really should be part of some Manjaro Crash Course. :thinking:
Pacman offers no such service to merge these files, is this planned for pamac? Does yay offer this?

On one hand this isn’t great for regular users coming from Windows that are frightened to mess with system files, on the other, consistent sane defaults should be okay.

Please split this topic if this is out of scope of an update thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Found the comic where I first heard about the config files breaking, I really thought it was a joke. (Warning, naughty words, adult themes)

1 Like

Thanks, it’s working now.

It turns out SDDM’s auto login was the problem - not sure if it was all along or in addition to that regression (I should’ve checked earlier logs more carefully)

Sample log output

I noticed this in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

[   483.780] (EE) Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sddm/{5cd37d36-6e3a-4fc5-b255-2faeb13837d9}": No such file or directory

And systemctl status sddm:

Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: pam_env(sddm-autologin:session): deprecated reading of user environment enabled
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: pam_kwallet5(sddm-autologin:session): pam_kwallet5: pam_sm_open_session
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: Starting: "/usr/share/sddm/scripts/wayland-session /usr/bin/startplasma-x11"
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm[731]: Session started
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: [PAM] Closing session
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: pam_unix(sddm-autologin:session): session closed for user luke
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: pam_kwallet5(sddm-autologin:session): pam_kwallet5: pam_sm_close_session
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: pam_kwallet5(sddm-autologin:setcred): pam_kwallet5: pam_sm_setcred
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm-helper[1237]: [PAM] Ended.
Nov 19 12:25:42 sddm[731]: Auth: sddm-helper exited with 1

I had some .pacsave and .pacnew files I missed from previous upgrades too, one was related to PAM, but ultimately it was disabling auto login (while sddm was downgraded) and clicking the “Sync” settings button that fixed it. Re-enabling autologin works too.

Really? Can you install digikam? Because I can’t on a fresh install. KDE-Git packages are all over the place

Supposing I have the same issue as Iah7, can I just wait a few days until sddm 0.19.0-2.2 is in stable, update and my black screen will be fixed?

Hi Anthony

sddm 0.19.0-2.2 is already in stable. I isntalled it already a few minutes ago.

check/install with sudo pacman -Syyu

no change despite this version for me…

Hi grau,

you are right, I already have it and my screen is still black, only tty working. Guess its something else then.

Having same issue, going back go kernels 5.7 and 5.4 will have you able to use manjaro while waiting for fixes.

warning: gnome-wallpapers: local (20201023-1) is newer than community (20201020-1)

What does it mean?

Thank you. I already suspected that it would be fish unable to execute /etc/profile.d/flatpak.sh but this file has not been changed by this upgrade (I compared it to the previous version). So while this is a plausible explanation, now I do not understand why it did work ever before :man_shrugging:.

In general, fish is not POSIX-compliant by design, so it is not a bug per se. Unfortunately one cannot use it as a login shell then (except with heavy customization). I was not aware of that.

As a solution I chose the route described here: ArchWiki: Setting fish as interactive shell only

1 Like

I’m not even going to use 5.9 because of a number of problems with Nouveau, I’m going to stay at 5.4. Legacy Nvidia drivers have serious problems with this kernel, in one of my tests I received a black screen. Possibly, the problems can be fixed before the release of 5.10, which will be LTS.

Error when trying to launch screensaver:

/usr/lib/xscreensaver/xmatrix: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Some other screensavers work, some don’t. Obviously not a serious issue as it’s only a screensaver, but still, it would be nice to have it working again.

Update went smooth with UI . Bluetooth problems through previous update are gone.

Good work @ manjaro