[Stable Update] 2020-11-18 - Kernels, Plasma5, Frameworks, Thunderbird, Firefox, Mesa

Nice catch, it’s misspelled in one place.

❯ man pacman-mirrors | grep fasttrack
       • –country, –fasttrack, –geoip, –continent
       • –fasttrack and –no-status
       -f, --fasttrack [NUMBER]
❯ man pacman-mirrors | grep fastrack
         sudo pacman-mirrors –fastrack 5

Are you sure about that? :wink:

❯ man pacman-mirrors | grep continent
                              [-c COUNTRY [COUNTRY...] | [--geoip] | [--continent]]
           • –continent
       • –country, –fasttrack, –geoip, –continent
       –continent

There’s also pacman-mirrors --help :wink:

Thanks a mill. Trying this now.

In Architect is on list base packages and causes replace part of kde frameworks with kde frameworks git.

Thats what .pacnew, .rpmnew etc files are for. They ship updated default cofigs, if sayd default config differs from the previous version.
It would be pretty bad if the update just overwrites your configs, in case youve applies any changes to the stock ones.

So, ran the update and it finished with "/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning:unknown device type nvme0n1.

Seems to be booting fine. Will keep an eye on it

1 Like

Ah you’re right I was browsing the wrong section.
Thanks

I seem to have multiple problems due to the update of OpenVPN. As I don’t have time to investigate at the moment, I’ve just downgraded to keep it running. When I have time I’ll dig into it and report back in case anything I find helps anyone else.

1 Like

Do I need web-installer-url-handler (1.0.2-1)? Asking because it depends on pamac and I dont need pamac. :stuck_out_tongue:

Eh it goes deeper… So pamac is now basically required?

Edit: Nevermind, removing manjaro-hello fixed it. Octopi you are still the only one for me. <3

this update is a total fail ! the new kernel in consumption with nvidia is a fatal miss . switched back to 5.8.18 until this mess is solved. can’t believe that such crap get’s a “stable update”-status. sorry but that’s a cynical joke.

Not necessary . All package with name pamac. Main package is pamac-common. It has dependance with manjaro-application-utility and other pamac packages

Hi, update went fine and I was upgraded to the new kernel 5.9.8-2, however since I’m on Nvidia and have read of Nvidia’s drivers not supporting the newest kernel (due to that condom issue) I wanted to return to the previous kernel I was on, 5.8.18-1. (System was also reporting that I’m on software rendering, nvidia-smi couldn’t be run). However when I rebooted and chose the 5.8 kernel in the grub menu I was presented with this: I’ve stick to 5.9 and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers, then nvidia-smi worked. Deleted 5.8 as it’s EOL.

$ journalctl -b-6 -p4

Summary
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: MDS CPU bug present and SMT on, data leak possible. See https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/hw-vuln/mds.html for more details.
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel:  #5 #6 #7
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: ENERGY_PERF_BIAS: Set to 'normal', was 'performance'
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: acpi PNP0A08:00: MMCONFIG is disabled, can't access extended PCI configuration space under this bridge.
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0xfdffe800-0xfe0007ff], which spans more than pnp 00:07 [mem 0xfdb00000-0xfdffffff]
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: caller pmc_core_probe+0x85/0x380 mapping multiple BARs
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT0._GTF.DSSP], AE_NOT_FOUND (20200528/psargs-330)
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT0._GTF due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20200528/psparse-529)
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT0._GTF.DSSP], AE_NOT_FOUND (20200528/psargs-330)
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT0._GTF due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20200528/psparse-529)
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'crypto_user': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'sg': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'msr': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'platform-integrity': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'ec_sys': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'vboxsf': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'vboxdrv': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'vboxnetadp': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'vboxnetflt': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'vboxdrv': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'vboxnetadp': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'vboxnetflt': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'nvidia': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'nvidia-drm': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:22 qto systemd-modules-load[252]: Failed to look up module alias 'uinput': Function not implemented
Nov 18 21:34:23 qto systemd[1]: boot-efi.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 18 21:34:23 qto systemd[1]: Failed to mount /boot/efi.
Nov 18 21:34:23 qto systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Local File Systems.

Reverting to 5.4.77-1 works fine however.

How to proceed? Thanks in advance.

I add encrypt voice in my hooks, and now at boot ask me 2 times to enter luks password

The issue is KDE blackscreen after logout then login:

I had an issue because I had used zstd compression in my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, and even though it compressed the initramfs all right, booting with it caused a kernel panic. So I had to modify /etc/mkinitcpio.conf again to use the default gzip compression and rebuild my initramfs in a chroot.

Other than that, everything seems okay. :crossed_fingers:

I’m having the same problem.
On KDE. Other kernels didn’t help either.
My system is a Lenovo ThinkPad E470

2 Likes

How do you know if it compressed the initramfs with zstd? I ask because I modified my mkinitcpio.conf to use zstd and everything seems to be working fine. I don’t know that much about it though so maybe by just editing my mkinitcpio.conf file didn’t really make that change (not sure If I have to do something after making the change but here is the contents of my file that seems to be working fine.

# vim:set ft=sh
# MODULES
# The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
# run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
# in this array.  For instance:
#     MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES=()

# BINARIES
# This setting includes any additional binaries a given user may
# wish into the CPIO image.  This is run last, so it may be used to
# override the actual binaries included by a given hook
# BINARIES are dependency parsed, so you may safely ignore libraries
BINARIES=()

# FILES
# This setting is similar to BINARIES above, however, files are added
# as-is and are not parsed in any way.  This is useful for config files.
FILES=()

# HOOKS
# This is the most important setting in this file.  The HOOKS control the
# modules and scripts added to the image, and what happens at boot time.
# Order is important, and it is recommended that you do not change the
# order in which HOOKS are added.  Run 'mkinitcpio -H <hook name>' for
# help on a given hook.
# 'base' is _required_ unless you know precisely what you are doing.
# 'udev' is _required_ in order to automatically load modules
# 'filesystems' is _required_ unless you specify your fs modules in MODULES
# Examples:
##   This setup specifies all modules in the MODULES setting above.
##   No raid, lvm2, or encrypted root is needed.
#    HOOKS=(base)
#
##   This setup will autodetect all modules for your system and should
##   work as a sane default
#    HOOKS=(base udev autodetect block filesystems)
#
##   This setup will generate a 'full' image which supports most systems.
##   No autodetection is done.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block filesystems)
#
##   This setup assembles a pata mdadm array with an encrypted root FS.
##   Note: See 'mkinitcpio -H mdadm' for more information on raid devices.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block mdadm encrypt filesystems)
#
##   This setup loads an lvm2 volume group on a usb device.
#    HOOKS=(base udev block lvm2 filesystems)
#
##   NOTE: If you have /usr on a separate partition, you MUST include the
#    usr, fsck and shutdown hooks.
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

# COMPRESSION
# Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, gzip compression
# is used. Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
#COMPRESSION="gzip"
#COMPRESSION="bzip2"
#COMPRESSION="lzma"
#COMPRESSION="xz"
#COMPRESSION="lzop"
#COMPRESSION="lz4"
COMPRESSION="zstd"

# COMPRESSION_OPTIONS
# Additional options for the compressor
#COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=()

What kernel are you using? According to this page zstd is only supported in kernel 5.9+
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mkinitcpio

1 Like

Yeah, so my PIA openvpn configs stopped working – NetworkManager just says they are incorrect. It might be it. What can I do to fix it?

The output is verbose. It reported successful compression with zstd. But the reboot resulted in a kernel panic because it couldn’t find the root filesystem.

I do have to add that my root filesystem is on btrfs, albeit that my /boot is ext4.

1 Like

Whoops.

Warning: zstd compressed initramfs is only supported by Linux 5.9 and newer.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mkinitcpio#COMPRESSION

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m on 5.4 LTS. Bummer. :frowning_face: