[Stable Update] 2020-10-19 - Kernels, Nvidia 455, Browsers,

KDE Emoji select has square icons, before this update it was working perfectly. I have both noto-fonts and noto-fonts-emoji packages installed.

2 Likes

This has been in GRUB forever, and people report it every update. This is not a Manjaro update issue.

Hi, I just installed manjaro (gnome) mikah and I’m using 5.8 kernel.
I’ve Nvidia 9200MX GPU,
And the driver was set to video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-455xx-prime, so I switched it to video-nvidia-455xx.
Then after a system reboot, OS failed to boot. It was in bootloop state.
So, i disabled Dedicated Nvidia GPU from BIOS and it booted, then I removed 455xx and installed the hybrid version which was installed first.
Then I rebooted and enabled nvidia card from BIOS and it booted.
So, any compatability issue with 455xx driver and my nvidia 920mx?
Or, am i doing anything wrong?

Now it really works thanks :wink:

1 Like

Most likely regular Nvidia driver is not meant for your graphics card. Your laptop has two GPU’s, so it needs a proper driver to manage hybrid setups. The one you have already installed is the proper one.

A post was split to a new topic: Nvidia proprietary driver flickering screen

In addition to the font aliasing problem , I discovered, my laptop clock was 4 minutes late.

ntp was there, but I had to:

sudo timedatectl set-ntp true

and to restart to get back to correct time.

3 Likes

I tried to fix it in KDE settings but it didn’t stick.
Thanks for the timedatectl tip.

Hey Guys,

Dumb question around kernels. As I’m switching to the 5.9.x kernel, what is the difference between the linux59-rt (real-time) and standard linux59? Either way, I ended up going with the standard linux-59 and installed the 5.9.3-1 kernel on my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

the *-rt kernels are real-time kernels.

I like this description of the real time kernel:
Realtime kernel patchset - ArchWiki?

In other words: you only need a real time kernel if a deterministic latency is important.
This doesn’t necessarily mean a low latency, but a latency which less jitter.