[Stable Update] 2020-09-08 - Kernels, Mesa, Browsers, KDE Apps 20.08.1, Systemd, LibreOffice 7.0.1, Deepin

you may check with

$ lspci | grep -i renesas

if no result you are ok, if you have that hw you may use renesas fw from AUR

see here

2 Likes

Some remarks on the state of nvidia 450.66 drivers in KDE in combination with a thunderbolt dock and external monitor on the Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 2. Previously the driver was unusable, because it would crash the compositor or xorg completely after suspend. With this update, on my system things are much better - I only had lockups caused by the kscreenlocker_greet process. Killing it from TTY after a suspend allowed to continue using the system normally.

I then did two more changes: included the option NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1
to the Nvidia kernel module, and increased the size of /tmp, which is mounted to tmpfs in my system, to 6G, so that it is higher than the VRAM amount. After these changes, I don’t see any lockups of the kscreenlocker_greet, and no crashing of compositor or xorg, and even the chrome-based browser does not show any artefacts, which it used to before.

So the nvidia 450.66 driver is almost perfect now. However, I still have one issue: the systemsettings window after a suspend/resume cycle looks like this:

1 Like

Update went fine, but I’m having stability problems that don’t immediately manifest. It might have something to do with sleep/wake but I’m not sure yet as it’s only been 24 hours. Before the update, my uptime was around 17 days, so it was extremely stable – I put the system to sleep every night and wake it every morning. I have dual GPUs and run Windows with GPU passthrough and even that all worked pretty well. The first morning post update, chrome and brave are both core dumping during launch, take forever to launch, and the UI becomes unresponsive (keyboard and mouse) until they are both full up, which could take 30 seconds. Rebooting fixes the problem. Logs point to possible issues with nvidia drivers. I’m still on 440 – is 440 known to be having issues now with LTS 5.4 kernel?

Was another update pushed today?

1 Like

Looks like it.

New update pushed.